Sharpen AI v4.0

Well, I’ve downloaded that new model. It occurred to me if it was because the file permissions issue always caused the download to fail at the end, the failure to move from the temp folder to the target folder, so I tried to start the software with admin permissions and it worked, maybe it was a coincidence, so I’m still not sure if that’s the reason. As for your comment about network speed, my network bandwidth is 500MB shouldn’t be a problem, the trouble is I’m located in East Asia and at least half of the European and North American data centers have slow access, it’s an ISP thing, and I have no choice.:skull:

1 Like

Commercial software and business software are not the same thing. I’ll agree that many commercial programs show the directory they are installing, and the good ones use the same directory as the previous version. the ones that I hate are the ones that choose C: drive even though I have it installed on D: drive. this forces me to find the program to see if I had installed it on C or D.

Being version 4.0 is again a version upgrade, not a new program, and if someone has a problem with the new version, you can easily uninstall it and go to the previous version. Individual users are not afraid of getting fired as we own the software. I would agree that Topaz should show the install path if they can detect where it is presently installed and allow for the user to change it.

this latest release is a huge improvement over the sharpen 3 series for my windows 10 machine, I can now leave other programs running and the sharpen runs and finishes faster and without crashing.
One suggestion, it would be nice if there was a more positive indication that the program terminated without an error so I can stop watching the progress and then comparing x vs y in lightroom.

but thanx for the great fix to my issues with 3.

2 Likes

Just installed V4.0.1. If it starts in Standard Model the program says it can’t upload model. If I go to another Model it works fine. I can then go back to Standard Model and again works fine. If the programs starts in a Model other than Standard, I have no problem. Seemed fine in V4.0.
Update: uninstalled 4.0.1 and installed 4.0 same issue. Uninstalled 4.0 and installed 3.3.6 - it’s fine.

1 Like

I updated to V4.0.1, still the same issue. I open a photo and it starts downloading a 66 meg file. That will finish (I will see no changes to the photo), I will click on something or even just try to zoom in or out on photo and it will start downloading the model again (66 meg file).

I already showed you that v3 of Sharpen has an optional install path.

I don’t know about you, but I often have more than one Topaz version installed at a time to compare. With the install/uninstall dance that is very impractical.

But feel free to admin your workstation the way you would like and I’ll do the same. Done.

Sharpen-install-dialog

Hi guys, how is it? I’d love to see some comparisons using V4. imo I’ve always found Sharpen to be the weakest and potentially most useless of the bunch. I don’t ever recall getting a noteworthy improvement, and considering alternatives like superscaling+sharpening+antialiasing–>downscaling on your preferred image editor, Sharpen just hasn’t that edge (pun not intended) compared to its siblings.

4.0.1 is very very very slow for me. Lots of minor “image” updates while using the program that take forever. I have a custom built PC computer which is mostly overkill and an updated windows 10 installed. My GPU however is a gtx 1070.

Is 4.0.1 a beta version? I went back to 3.3.6 which is awesome. I hope 4.0.1 doesn’t require a newer GPU ??

I found a very noticeable improvement with 3.3.6. I’m loving it. Watch for small color aberrations at higher sharpening with highly contrasted whites.

4.0.1 wasn’t very usable. IDK about 4.0.0.

1 Like

That does not work for me. When I click on the Sharpen AI app in my Applications Folder, I get that same annoying directive to drag and drop the icon.

Jack

Another major release and the critical “open with” data loss/corruption bug is still not fixed. It’s months since “open with” was fixed in Denoise. Come on… port the fix to Sharpen.

Also I got the same problem, then I tried to run the software with administrator rights and the download problem was solved, but I’m not sure, I suggest you try

Sharpen AI v.4.0 & 4.1 is more or less useless. I produces heavy color artifacts (red, see shadows on jacket) and also moiré pattern using the defaults. M1 pro & Monterey 12.2.1.

Honestly, I can’t see any moire that you mentioned. For me it looks OK.

I’ve upgraded to the latest version v4.0.1 but it is not very stable. How come it keep popping up the download model file every time i launch the tool?

1 Like

Yes, I see. It’s difficult to visualise. Here’s another try and a gif to maybe better see the color change.

ShAI401

I am having the same issue on Mac using 4.0.1

I have had a similar issue with textured fabrics, but when denoising. Maybe you should use the mask and only sharpen the label. See how that looks.

Really sucks. Should stay on with v4. 0. Hope topaz engineer can resolve this issue by rolling out the next firmware update

I logged in to my mac m1 as admin (separate user ID), did not license this user. Still getting prompted to update the models every time.