Sharpen AI v4.0

Ok Ray, thank for checking. I’ll test it again tomorrow when I reboot my computer.

Update: After re-booting my computer this morning, as I do every day, I could not reproduce the over sharpening problem on DNG files of my original post. I deleted the original post.

I cannot install this new version because the program asks to pay for the upgrade:

But I have already payed for all my apps

Should I pay again and again? Every three months?

Uninstall the old version and install the new version. I never use the ‘check for updates’ feature and have never had a problem with licensing.

Is that a bug or feature? Depends on who you ask.

Much to my chagrin, the v4 version install overwrote my v3 (on Windows 10).

a) without asking about an alternate install dir
b) without warning about the overwrite

So, I would actually prefer a new dir…and those experienced with dot-zero releases would be wise to do so as well. Overwriting a previous version should not be SOP, particularly without warning.

It would be nice to have some info/documentation on the new Standard model with the 2 choices for blur type and the 3 slider controls. The sum total of the documentation seems to be this:

New “Standard” AI model

Here is some good info.

I believe that’s probably a bug in the current version of the app you have, which appears to be 3.2.X or below. I’d suggest manually downloading Sharpen 4.0.0, and it should correctly recognize you own the app.

God. please help me, can any kind developer provide a download link to all the model files? I’ve been tossing and turning for over an hour trying to download a new model, and every time the slow download process ends in a failure, I have no choice but to repeat, fail, repeat, fail… jeez! :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

This is nothing new, it has always done this.

God here. Get a faster internet that is reliable, I command it. :smiley:

Im having issues with 4.0 When I go to edit in sharpen from lightroom a box opens up after sharpen opens and says “Downloading model file” It takes 10-15 min to download file, then I cant select any changes or see the sharpening. Im working off a high speed SSD external drive plugged directly into my 2022 14" Macbook pro with M1pro chip.

1 Like

Well, I don’t recall having this issue before. And when I re-installed v3.3.6 it did not do that. It allowed me to specifiy the install dir.

So, if it has always overwritten why is the respondent complaining about getting a new dir each time?

I just installed Sharpen AI v4.0. I am having sorta the same issue. I loaded a picture, and every time I try to do anything it says it needs to download a file for this model before processing. It will finish the download, but the process starts all over when I click on anything.

3 Likes

Yup same here… And just when I need to process a bunch of photos to get out to a client…

v4.0.1
Released February 17th, 2022

Windows: Online | Full
Mac: Full

SPECIAL UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS

• If experiencing conflicts with the in-app updater, please manually download the installer linked above.
  • This version of Sharpen AI requires MacOS 10.14 or Windows 10 (or higher). It is not supported on MacOS 10.13 or Windows 7/8.
  • If you use Sharpen AI as a plugin to Photoshop or Lightroom Classic on Mac, once you install this update, please do the following:
    1. Quit Photoshop and/or Lightroom Classic completely.
    2. Sharpen AI should open by itself after installing the update. Your plugin configurations should now be reset. Follow any prompts displayed relating to installing plugins.

Changes

• Improved update dialog - now clarifies between owned and unowned updates
  • Added “Select All” hotkey (Ctrl/Cmd + A)
  • Improved performance for M1 macs with 8GB of RAM
  • Fixed plugin/standalone taking long time after pressing “cancel” to actually close
  • Fixed “Canceled” appearing in file list view while processing
  • Fixed files that have previously been canceled not processing the next time images are being saved
  • Fixed scrollbars disappearing while being held down
  • Fixed OpenGL models not loading correctly
  • Fixed in app updater getting stuck at 100% (updating to 4.0.1 may still fail)
  • Fixed “Apply” and “Cancel” buttons being non-functional sometimes
1 Like

So my 16C Xeon workstation apparently does not support necessary functions for the new Standard Model - where do I find the CPU spec required (would be nice to have a link in the warning S.ai displays)?

In app installation was fine and very quick. Opening a DNG from the layers menu in On1 PR 2022 took about 2 seconds. Wow!
Mac mini M1 16GB, Monterey.

The in app install for 4.0.1 went smooth. Mac mini M1 16GB, Monterey.

1 Like

Perhaps they are uninstalling the old version before updating. Since each version is not a new program but an update it only makes sense to install over the old version. Otherwise, you could have many large programs (different versions) installed and this can cause confusion. Beta programs install differently.

Sorry to strongly disagree; that is precisely why most app installers allow specifying the install dir.

Changing a major version (eg v3.x to v4.x) requires a new install dir, imo. That’s why the major version is bumped in the first place. This is from years of using that approach with professional admin work. Installing a new version over the top of a working version, not knowing if the new version works, is an invitation for a pink slip. I am surprised at the users (above) that take that leap of faith with commercial usage as it is begging to get burned. In fact, on multi-user systems it is not uncommon at all to have many versions installed in parallel and the user updates their login profile for the version they want on their execution path. Again, breaking someone’s research because you overwrote their software with a new version would likely get you fired or at the very least yelled at. Updating from a working version to a version with serious issues, without easy fallback, is considered very bad form.

The resource dir can/could be shared (eg from the models). Hopefully, that is what is happening.

Sharpen-install-dialog

1 Like