Sharpen AI v3.3

This is user-to-user forum. For Topaz response, please, contact their support directly. Good luck :slightly_smiling_face: I personally still use 2.X versions of SAI and DAI.

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

I just started using the 3.3.1 upgrade today. Several problems. The suggested Sharpen model was very soft, very blurry, but the preview showed only modest improvements. I ran it anyway and it took 5 minutes to produce a very modest change. So I looked at all the other Sharpen Models and only out of focus, very noisy looked like a significant improvement. I ran it and it took 16 minutes to produce a much, much better image. At that pace I would only seldom use Topaz. This used to be a simple application to use from Lightroom.

1 Like

Totally agree! The previous version was fabulous; now with 3.3 I cannot see any perceptible change with any combination of settings. Further, after a trial change in settings, the program freezes, and I have to cntrl-alt-del my was out of the program. At least let us go back to the last working version. It seemed fabulous.

Someone at Topaz responded at the start of this thread, indicating that it is being monitored.
I tried downgrading but both the v2 iteration and the earliest v3 crashed when used on an older MacBook Pro with only 8GB Ram and running OS Monterey. I have returned to this latest version in the hopes that there will be an update before too long.

It may be monitored but they are not obliged to respond here, particularly if have nothing to say. When a customer calls their support, it’s another story.

Yes, I am aware of that. I just hope enough people who have had problems have been reporting their issues to Support.

Just remember that if you are experiencing serious issues running the application on your PC setup you must raise a support request otherwise support will not be aware of the extent of the problem.

This forum is not a Topaz technical support forum but a user to user forum where other users may be able to help. Topaz staff infrequently access this forum.

Hmmmm in-nerestin’ 

I just looking at my newly downloaded Version 3,3,1 in auto select model (out of focus, very blurry, auto parameters) and it almost looks like some sort of separation and subsequent shift of subject
possibly just the subject. As if “auto subject selection” has gone on in the software, separated subject from background for differential processing and then somehow the subject part has become offset. Resulting in unfortunate edge effects. Possibly this is all that is going on? Er
depending on how this software works but it seems to me it tries to sharpen with discrimination so surely some sort of separation is applied.

Similarly on “too soft”, very blurry and motion blurs messy offset — however on “too soft” very noisy and normal - no prob. Maybe it has to do with the application of the “very blurry” part? Though I don’t know about motion blur as unfortunately the program just crashed on me (!) (I used it as plugin to PS) and it is late, time to feed animals and get some wood in so my memory of the option terms might be a little off.

BUT what I was seeing with the edges reminded me a little of problems I’ve had in the past manually (and misguidedly) in PS separating out subject and background, making inversed mask for background, getting it wrong about which direction to modify my mask for feathering, simplifying background and applying pseudo-lens blur and then trying to put it back together and somehow accidently misaligning the layers in the meantime. If that makes any sense at all. It is so easy to get muddled with masks conflicting with other masks and feathering the wrong way.
Long winded, sorry. Teresa

What I am seeing is that the auto selection of the model chooses incorrectly. I see that Motion Blur is the default for all cases where focus is out or there is motion blur:

• Where the image has motion blur, Motion Blur is the choice
  • Where the image is out of focus, Motion Blur is the choice

Unfortunately it does not handle images showing textures, such as this one where it selects Too Soft - Very Blurry and introduces artifacts:

In fact, in this case, none of the models can Sharpen this image.

Another image in which Too Soft - Very Blurry is selected and the parts are smoothed, other parts have artifacts etc:

And this image chooses Motion Blur - Very Blurry

Where, in my opinion, it should choose Out of Focus - Very Blurry:

3 Likes

Use CPU instead of GPU if you don’t want Halos.

Should be fixed in future.

2 Likes

Both have the halo problem for me Thomas. It seems the new models have regressed a little and the model selection process is not stable yet.

3 Likes

I tried installing the 3.3.0 update but it removed everything in Sharpen and wouldn’t open. I had to uninstall and reinstall the older version.

When I tried to use Sharpen AI 3.3.1 today I get a box saying “Downloading Optimized Model File
” and it automatically starts downloading. I stopped it as it does not appear to be anything Topaz has ever done before. So I deleted Sharpen AI from my computer then downloaded it fresh from TopazLabs as 3.3.2. Then when I tried to use it again it starts the download again even though I downloaded Sharpen AI from Topaz, does anyone know anything about this?

That is something the latest versions of SAI do.

If you want to control which models are downloaded and don’t want the “optimized” models downloading automatically you can set that up the way you prefer in the File > Preferences menu at the top left of your SAI interface.

You can also control whether to append prefixes/suffixes (and how they are written), which processor you want to use, where you want your panels displayed, etc. in the Preferences menu item.

Thank you very much. This is the first time I have had it happen. I’ll know what to do from now on, again thank you.

1 Like

There is a “model mgr” option under the Prefs. You can set it up as you prefer there
 Good luck! Better to be safe than sorry if ‘weird’ things start happening.

I can not confirm.

On the GPU it is not nice, there you can only use too soft - normal nothing else but with the CPU it looks very good.

Here in the forum signatures would be great to show which operating system you use.

Sorry Thomas, I do apologise as I also requested all do the same. The details are:

Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 3.3.1
Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009 (Windows 11 - 2H2)
Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 472.39
CPU RAM: 16269 MB
Video RAM: 4096 MB
Preview Limit: 6428 Pixels

Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 3.3.1

Operating System: 21H1 Win 10

Graphics Hardware: Quadro P5000/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 472.39

CPU RAM: 65213 MB

Video RAM: 16384 MB

Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels