Sharpen AI v3.3

Okay, thanks for the info. I searched and found this about Denoise AI. I hope Sharpen AI and Gigapixel AI will get updated with native M1 versions soon.

The coming Sharpen AI V4.0 will support M1 natively

I run DeNoise natively on an M1 Mac Mini. Images that took about 10 seconds to process under Rosetta, now take 3 or 4. Expect a similar speed increase when Sharpen is updated.

1 Like

Yes, I hope the M1 native Sharpen AI will also get a nice speedup.

I read recently that DXO DeepPrime on the Mac M1 gives a choice of using the CPU, GPU, or Neural Engine and that the Neural Engine is much faster than using the GPU. Does Sharpen AI give those choices also on the M1?

I currently have a trial of DXO Deep Prime. It is not M1 native and on my Mac mini it takes over 30 seconds to process an image. The choices are Auto, CPU and Apple M1. I haven’t noticed any difference in speed between Auto and Apple M1.
However, that said, I think in many instances it is the best denoising programme, especially when there are large amounts of colour noise. I do find that the images it produces to be a bit grainy for my taste. I usually tweak them a bit afterwards.

For me, it’s the most reliable way to denoise all the images without having to worry about some random error being present in the images.

Without your tip, I would never have tried it.

I then fix that with Denoise.

I saw several mentions that DXO 5 gives the choice on M1 of using the CPU, GPU, or Neural Engine and that the Neural Engine is fastest. Here are just 2 things I saw:

And here is another one:

I am having the same problem using the nvideo gpu with medium memory setting. Cannot run lightroom and sharpen at the same time. Complete crash of sharpen app with no error messages. Sharpen works fine as long as I shut off lightroom.
15:03 update tried setting max memory at Low and now it works fine. Just wish this software came with better instructions.

Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 3.3.5

Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009

Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce MX150/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 511.65

CPU RAM: 16218 MB

Video RAM: 4096 MB

Preview Limit: 6525 Pixels

Try NVIDIA 472.98. I find it faster by 20-25% than 511.65. That may indicate it releases video memory more efficiently. e.g.: 472.98 requires on my machine 50-52 sec. to process while the same image with 511.65 can take up to 1’ 20 seconds. This is after using PS for several images. Not sure why, however. (this is with max. memory setting.)

v3.3.6
Released February 4th, 2022

Windows: Online | Full
Mac: Online | Full

Changes

• Fixed some permissions issues when installing on windows
  • Fixed authentication issue for certain operating system versions
  • Fixed wrong file suffix being applied while using auto model
  • Fixed issue with plugin mode not always loading all the correct settings
  • Fixed mismatched settings being shown after switching from comparison view
  • Fixed issue with zooming in via hotkey
  • Fixed a rare processing error
  • Enabled removing images while in masking mode
  • Improved logic on when to display scrollbar in file list
  • Added snooze button to update dialog

The update to 3.3.6 from 3.3.5 on Mac M1 is bad.

In what way? What, specifically, is bad about it that we all should know about? Pls explain.

The download will reach 100% but will not install.
I uninstalled it and reinstalled the actual version.

3 Likes

I tried the update from within Sharpen AI 3.3.5 and had the same experience. So, I exited Sharpen AI 3.3.5 and downloaded and installed the Full 3.3.6. I am on a Mac mini M1 (2020). The full install of 3.3.6 went fine and 3.3.6 is working fine. It looks like there may be a problem updating from within Sharpen AI 3.3.5. Hope the info is useful.

2 Likes

A similar experience for me. A pop-up window that stayed that way until I quit.

3 Likes

FWIW, I had the exact same experience with Windows 10 21H2.

1 Like

I think there is a bug with the photoshop plugin when recording and running an action : if the preview is disabled in the preferences then the plugin program will stay open forever and nothing happens.
If the preview is enabled then it runs normally and compute the action.
Or is it intended like this ? the full preview is running in the background and then send it back to Photoshop ?

2 Likes

I have the same problem with Windows 11 Home

Had exactly the same problem installing v3.3.6 (Windows 10) had to do full install.
D. Richards

I think I’m going to pass on 3.3.6 based on all the comments… (Win 10)