Sharpen AI v3.3

I don’t think an answer has been supplied for this: The program ALWAYS chooses Very Blurry when in earlier versions Normal was the, er, norm. Even when I think a photo is fairly sharp, the Very Blurry option is chosen. Is this normal?

2 Likes

I’ve posted/reported about this a couple of times and sent a support ticket to Topaz. See my posts.

1 Like

I have the same issue and have worked with Topaz Support for over a month or two now with no success.

Windows 11 PC, AMD Threadripper, Nvidia 3080 via Display Port

II purchased Sharpen AI and have not been able to get it to run ever. Not from a stand alone, not from withing photoshop. It just hangs. Does nothing. Task manager says its running, but its nowhere to be found. If I try to load it a second time, it will lock photoshop up.

Back and forth with Topaz support has been difficult, as more often than not They are telling me to try stuff I already have attempted, even after I have clearly mentioned in each email the things I have already tried. Then it takes like 3 days to get a response to my repsonse of " I alreadfy tried that".

Very frustrating indeed.

So far here is how we have left it…

Tried All Nvidia Drivers - All New and Many old
Made sure I was plugged into my Nvidia card, not my motherboard.
Tried different displayport ports on back of my nvidia card,
Tried other topaz software suites - none of them worked!
Reinstalled numerous times, and Multiple versions - I bet I have tried over 40 Installations different ways and different versions.
registry cleaned
different drives (Windows Drive and Secondary HD)
Ran as administrator
Ran in compatibility mode
Ran in Safe mode

Im probably missing a few things but we finally came to this conclusion…

“Currently there is no fix”

Then, finally I got an email stating there was a new version of DeNoise (Cant remember which version). I was asked to install that to see if it ran. Well, FINALLY IT DID!!! Only one problem, the same fix will not be applied to Sharpen AI until January or February. Fingers crossed this will do the trick.

Sucks I paid for this I think In November, and I still haven’t been able to use it. Stupid Me, I downloaded the xx Day Free trial, and it never worked, but my thought process was, maybe the “purchased version” will work. Got it, but still didnt work.

I really would love to try this software out! Im hanging in there and am not too upset, as I am anxious and hopeful to try and rescue some old and new photos that could benefit me with using it (At least I hope so).

I emailed Topaz about 3 days to ask How far out is this Newer Working version, nut have not heard anything yet. Hopefull they are too busy fixing the issue to respond.

Windows 11? There’s your problem right there. You’re willingly being a beta tester for MSFT. Yes, I know, it’s officially ‘released’ by MSFT. But unlike W10, W11 is not a mature product with most of the bugs already fixed.

If running Topaz software is so important, why don’t you run W10? I would bet a dollar it would solve all of your problems.

I daily the latest Win11 Dev builds, i have every Topaz product installed & they all work just fine for me.

1 Like

That’s a rather sweeping statement saying Windows 11 is his problem, I don’t have any problems running any of the Topaz products on Windows 11.

1 Like

Yes, I’m sure W11 won’t give everyone headaches, but as an experienced IT engineer, as a rule you never run a newly released OS in a production environment - for good reasons.

The time that the original poster spent trying every other solution could have been spent doing the obvious first step, which is trying W10.

New PC, came with Windows 11, but Im patient, so I’ll wait as Topaz said the fix is near.

Can A PC that never had Windows 10 be taken back to Windows 10 without having to do a clean install?

That being said, if its that simple then why hasnt Topaz suggested that in the first place if it is a problem, and also why claim Windows 11 compatibility clearly on their website?

Personally I have been very satisfied with Windows 11, Everything seems to work fine. But thats for another forum.

I do agree, I would never change my PCs at my business to a new OS. Been there, done that. Learned the hard way. For this, its just my hobby.

The trial versions of software are the exact same product as the commercial versions. That’s why companies let you ‘try before you buy’… Only difference is some vendors overlay a watermark during trial. Most, nowadays, don’t - so you can see what you’ll see when/if you purchase.

You probably can’t roll back to W10 without going the fresh install route. I’m not saying any of this is your fault, but of your system configuration the one thing that stood out to me as the likely culprit was the W11.

Sounds like Topaz is aware and should have it fixed soon.

1 Like

Didnt take it any wrong way, I welcome your comments. Windows 11 is the a common denominator with the OP I replied to. My attempt at the post was to show the OP what I tried, and still got nowhere, but to more importantly state that a fix seems to be coming soon.

thanks for everyones input!

1 Like

Quick uestion - what video card/driver are you using?

I held off on installing the update because I was unhappy with previous updates. Just installed 3.3.5 and am uninstalling it. It doesn’t work, user interface is awful, slow preview updates that show no changes to images.
Could not be more unhappy.
Hoping reinstall of older version works, but I have no choice

1 Like

Go to Help, Graphics info., press Copy and past the info here.

I have the same issue with my Win10 machine. Sharpen worked well until late December and now will not “load.” I have all the latest versions and drivers, and the machine exceeds all requirements. I have uninstalled and rebooted so many times I have lost count. The only version of Sharpen that runs is v1.4.6. On a positive note, the new Denoise works well. But, pretty much “crickets” from Topaz support…

1 Like

I wonder if Nvidia did something to their drivers that broke Topaz products…

No problems here on a pretty low spec hardware Win10 machine …

Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 3.3.5
Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2009
Graphics Hardware: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 511.09
CPU RAM: 12286 MB
Video RAM: 4096 MB
Preview Limit: 6340 Pixels

I am glad things are working for you. Unfortunately, Sharpen stopped working for me.

Is 3.3.5 standalone a Mac M1 native program? How about the plug-in?

No it’s not, but it runs pretty fast under Rosetta 2. The next update probably will be.