Sharpen AI v3.2

As long as you are satisfied now using the CPU rather than the Iris Xe integrated GPU then it is okay. I still have doubts about the explanation you got from Topaz though. Your new Iris Xe integrated GPU is much more powerful then my very old Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated GPU (note I only have 8gb RAM for this laptop) and rather old Intel UHD 620 integrated GPU. I think Topaz should be able to use your new Iris Xe. Maybe a driver problem or something else. I have had good luck with Topaz support being helpful, but it sounds like the person you contacted didn’t want to be bothered to investigate. Iris Xe is in lots of the newer Intel CPUs so Topaz, I think, should be able to use it. Anyway, you are satisfied now so I am glad you can run Sharpen AI now.

I am currently running Sharpen Ai with the Iris Xe Integrated GPU. As long as I allow Topaz to give me the three sharpened versions rather than doing it manually myself it runs pretty quickly. Once I choose the image I want to use it only takes between 10-20 seconds to process the image.
Topaz recommends a minimum of 2g of VRAM. They said that as my Intel Xe graphics card only has 128 mb of dedicated memory it is not the minimum 2gb they require. Not computer savvy at all, is dedicated memory and VRAM the same thing?

No, the integrated graphics use RAM UP TO 1.5 or 2GB rather than having there own dedicated vRAM.

Installed Sharpen AI 3.2.2 October 2nd. Photoshop plugin and stand-alone versions break immediately after loading a tiff file. This can be avoided when preferences set to NOT use GPU (Radeon RX580), relying only on CPU. Please fix.
-Morten

Just to clarify. When your SAI crashed was the Preference for AI Processor set to “Auto” (& it chose to use a Radeon GPU in your system) or was what showed up in that Pref box a specific Radeon GPU?

Make sure the GPU drivers are up to date from the AMD website 
 if on Windows. It would also help if you copied the information from the Help-> Graphics info. dialog via the Copy button and posted the info here. Also what application created the TIF image?

Happens both if preferences set to auto, or explicitly set to RX580

1 Like

Had updated AMD drivers just before installing SAI 3.2.2. TIFF came from Capturre One pro 21. SAI 3.0.3 has handled these TIFFs beautifully both before and after my 3.3.3 experience

Sorry, typo, SAI was 3.2.2

I submitted a suggestion for a new feature:

Use reference photo to improve sharpening

https://community.topazlabs.com/t/use-reference-photo-to-improve-sharpening/27063

Please vote for it in the link.

1 Like

Okay. Good to know. Same happens for me & my AMD Radeon processor (Win 10). CPU Medium is all that works for me.

I voted for it. Folks should know if they would like the feature too, they can vote it up at the link you’ve provided by clicking on the box with number at upper left of your post.

1 Like

The ‘graphics info’:
Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 3.2.2
Operating System: Windows 10 Version 2004
Graphics Hardware: Radeon RX 580 Series
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.14742 Core Profile Forward-Compatible Context 21.8.2 27.20.22025.1006
CPU RAM: 32682 MB
Video RAM: 8192 MB
Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

Under the hood question re: how the Motion Blur correction algorithm works in SAI
 (@anthony.lawn)

Does the motion blur compensation get calculated based on what is positioned within the Nav box (up in the Finder)?

Or, is the motion blur assessed and corrected universally across the image (but we only see what’s happening within the image area that’s shown in the Nav box)?

1 Like

This is not preserving the lens profile. Just take a dng file, run it via sharpen and the saved dng file no longer has a lens profile.

That is because the DNG is not a RAW file and the lens profile has already been applied.

1 Like

Read about DNG conversion, you cannot reconstruct a RAW image from a DNG without embedding the original RAW image to extract.

DNG is both a raw image format and a format that supports “non-raw”, or partly processed, images known as Linear DNG. Camera manufacturers such as Pentax do produce DNGs in a RAW format, RAW images processed and converted to DNG no longer contain sensor data.

There is more to that, but, it is up to Topaz to fix the issue or not. I don’t use that part of the app, so, could not care less :slight_smile:

BTW, DxO PR works fine in case you want to check it out

Sharpen opens and process a Nikon raw NEF file, but, on saving, it does some work, but, there is no DNG/TIFF created. I would have expected a DNG to be created, but, not so. Also, there is no option in Sharpen to attach a prefix/suffix to the saved filename since it is not saving anything for now