Sharpen AI v3.2

v3.2.2
Released August 30th, 2021

Windows: Online | Full (Win 10) | Full Legacy (Win 7/8)
Mac: Online | Full

Changes

• Shortcuts in tooltips are white instead of grey to be consistent with menu items
  • Added auto detect option to processor preference
  • Changed the “Disable Model Downloads” preference into “Allow Model Downloads”

Fixes

• Fixed jump when zooming in on small images from 0.5
  • Fixed downloading models being disabled regardless of preference
  • Fixed undoing selecting/deselecting automatically detected objects in masking mode not working
  • Fixed GPS EXIF data not being saved
  • Fixed memory leak

v3.2.1
Released August 9th, 2021

Changes

• Added preference to disable downloading models
    • Additionally, less devices will need to download any models in the first place
  • Preferences dialog now scrolls if there isn’t enough room to display it, and has collapsible sections

Fixes

• Fixed masking brush stroke being interrupted disappearing temporarily when the preview updates
  • Fixed several issues happening after deleting a non-selected image while the first image is selected
  • Fixed removing all images not de-selecting those images
  • Performance fixes for certain intel iGPUs on windows, GPUs on mac 10.14 and older, 2GB GPUs on Mac 10.15 and higher and on windows 10
  • Fixed DLL errors appearing on Windows 7

v3.2.0
Released August 4th, 2021

Major Changes

• Added shortcuts to all masking related actions
  • Made masking brush show changes live
  • Made masking brush in subtraction mode remove the overlay/sharpened area live
  • Overlay is now always shown while making brush strokes
  • Overlay color is now configurable
  • Side panel sections can now be collapsed
  • Motion blur very blurry and Too soft very blurry models got updated
  • Added new status to status indicator for downloading optimized models
  • File list got redesigned to be cleaner and smaller
  • Added better handling for RAW color support
    • Option defaulted to true in preferences
    • Currently does not get saved to DNG output
  • Added auto lens correction using lensfun database (can be disabled in preferences)

Changes

• Warning dialogs no longer open when running in silent plugin mode
  • Total progress bar hides when processing completes
  • Improved ETA display
  • Add borders to various menus
  • Moved update preview button when in manual update mode to bottom of side panel
  • Clicking the manual update preview button while the preview is being updating will cancel the action
  • Made the navigation window bigger, removing undo/redo buttons (you can still use those functions from the edit menu or via shortcuts)
  • Added indicators to view and zoom menus for the current selection
  • Disable the “Show Original Image” menu item when in split view
  • Using the mouse wheel to change zoom levels is enabled in mask mode again
  • Added shortcuts to zoom in and out using + and - keys
  • Added support for metadata from CR3/HEIC images
  • Closing the file saving view resets the application title bar
  • Updated Motion Blur tutorial to reference changes to the program

Fixes

• Fixed DPI issues for DNG/PNG/TIFF
  • Fix alpha channel being ignored in 4-channel DNGs
  • Fixed crash when loading 4-channel TIFF files
  • Fixed saving to TIFF/DNG crashing on certain tags
  • Fixed scrolling horizontally causing the preview to re-process
  • Fixed save as dialog silently defaulting to previous selection
  • Fixed entering mask mode automatically running the detect objects process
  • Fixed images failing to save when zoomed far out
  • Fixed some situations causing old images to still appear after switching images
  • Fixed first stroke in mask mode not being undo-able
  • Fixed a couple icons appearing low resolution
  • Using Preserve Source Format with batch processing no longer saves non-JPEG images as JPEG
9 Likes

Was the advanced mode from the beta only for testing? I am not seeing it on the released version. Also still seeing error for Nvidia for “too soft” mode.

We didn’t feel it was quite ready for release at this time, so it is not included in 3.2. Also, regarding the NVidia driver you can downgrade to the May Studio Drivers until NVidia releases an update fixing the issue.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to the advanced mode in the future.

It’ll be worth the wait, trust me. :+1:

For those interested, we also have this Product Update Post that provides a bit more context around some of the improvements in this release. There’s also a video showcasing the improvements to in-app masking.

4 Likes

Please fix a multiGPU rendering which is broken since 3.0.0. It takes 3x longer to process the pictures than using single card (I have 2x RX6800XT)

3 Likes

Thank you gentlemen! Off the bat, it is looking good. I am impressed with initial tests. I had earlier problems with processing time and had stopped using Sharpen AI. I tried an image this evening and the process was finished in 30 seconds flat! Thank you.

1 Like

Halos are still alive in GPU mode unfortunately.
However, the CPU mode is excellent.

5 Likes

Does this fix the ghosting issue found on versions above 2.2.4? I had reverted back to 2.2.4 because in high contrast areas, ghosting would occur. I spoke to support about the issue and they said it’s a bug that they’ll try and fix in the next release. Thanks.

2 Likes

I sent an issue for 3.12 where I’d selected my intel graphics as default, but it would only use the slower Nvidia GT 1030. Apparently that didn’t get addressed in 3.2. I’ve sent a note to support.

The update looks amazing. The one niggle I have is that when going to save images it defaults to the last open save directory. It would be useful if it defaulted to the directory from which the original files were loaded. It’s not a serious issue, just one of preference for me.

Yes, halos are still there. :frowning_face:

GUI tweaks are nice but it is the result that counts. Back to 2.2.4 for me.
Mouse wheel slider adjustments no longer work.

1 Like

Installed Sharpen AI 3.2 today. Motion Blur-Very Blurry just shows ‘Preview Downloading’ (where is it downloading from and what is it downloading?) after 2 minutes of waiting I cancel preview, which then locks up the whole App, ctrl/alt/del only way to exit.
Gone back to v3.1.2 which works fine.

1 Like

I agree that would be a great Preference setting that could be turned on or off to suit personal taste.

There’s an option in the save dialogue box to select the source folder and it’s sticky i.e. once you’ve selected it it will default to that every time until you change it to something else:
Source

2 Likes

I guess I wasn’t as clear as I could have been, PaulM. I am aware that the default is to save in the original directory. I would like to save the treated images in a separate directory UNDER the original directory. Using the custom save directory button forces me to the root of my image list, and then I have to drill down to my current image directory and create a separate directory there. It would be useful if the default when I click on the custom directory button was the current image directory so that I am already where I want to create my treated image directory for that collection of images.

1 Like

Thanks, how fast the CPU mode is (compared to some 2.X version)?

Does 3.2 replace the beta 3.2.0.2b?? Or should we stay on the beta?

Now that the release is out, I’d recommend not staying on the beta version. The official release has more features and more fixed bugs.

2 Likes