Sharpen AI v2.0.0

I have installed the new version 2.0.1 and I have several problems in comparison with Version 1.4.6:

• When image format is “jpg”, “save as” has not the possibility to adjust quality (it was possible before). If format selected is “jpeg”, quality slider appears. What is the difference in format?
  • In menu “File”, some times the menu item “Save as” does not appear. There is only an “Accept” item that processes and saves without asking, overwriting the original picture and exiting the program. In this case, if you press “save image” button (lower right corner), the original image is also overwritten without advise!. How can be avoided overwriting the original picture?. Why sometimes is there no “save as” possibility?
  • Saving a single image can not be done by default to the original folder as before.

I would like to know if I am doing something wrong or these are expected behaviors.

Accept would only show up if you are not running in standalone mode. Are you dragging and dropping images onto the shortcut or executable, or using open with? Those will open it in external editor mode which acts differently.

I cannot reproduce your jpg issue as both show the quality slider on my end.

1 Like

Currently working on the various preview problems people have been reporting. I have a build going currently, so a hotfix for that and a few other things should be available within an hour or two hopefully.

1 Like

Please run as a standalone, go to Help-> Graphics info and press the copy button and post the info here.

1 Like

Please run as a standalone and go to Help->Graphics info and press the copy button and post the info here.

A couple of things about the new Sharpen AI 2.0.1. Because we can never have enough!

1. Most internal Photoshop filters allow you to apply the filter only to the current selection. Now that we have masking in Sharpen AI, it would be great if the current selection in PS could be brought along as a mask when using as a Photoshop plugin.

2. The auto option now hides the settings that Sharpen AI has chosen for the image. When you go back to Manual the sliders are reset to 50/50 (even if you had manually set to something else)! Wouldn’t it be better if the Auto settings are retained, to be used as a starting point for further adjustment? Currently we have no idea what settings Auto is choosing for us.

Thanks.

4 Likes

In 2.0.2 I can not click ‘original’ any more… It is ghosted…

Ad this might have been said already, even in manual, previously I could start with the auto-settings. Now it looks like I need to start entirely from scratch. Starting from where the software thinks is the best would be a big help!

1 Like

@adam.mains In 2.0.2 after completing my masking and returning to the main screen all I see is the original image (i.e. no sharpening) and the Update button is dimmed (previously it was active and I could click it to show the updated image). Now I have to click the Auto-update preview icon to see the processed image, and clicking it off returns the still dimmed Update button but also returns the image to the original unprocessed version. To see the processed image I have to either leave Auto-update on or move either the image view or one of the sliders (which of course will then need moving back) to show the processed version, then the Update button becomes active and usable.

2 Likes

I’m experiencing the same problem. Using Sharpen AI as a plug-in in latest version of Photoshop 2020. Output is just a blank black image. It seem to work ok standalone or from Lightroom.

Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 2.0.2

Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Graphics Hardware: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 - Build 26.20.100.7463

CPU RAM: 32535 MB

Video RAM: 1500 MB

Preview Limit: 3910 Pixels

Hi Paul, did you Accept Mask, cos i think that makes a difference.

1 Like

Try switching to CPU/OpenVINO processing. Unless you have a second high performance GPU. If you do allocate that to Sharpen AI using Graphics in the Settings panel.

Please open Sharpen AI and go to Help-> Graphics info, press Copy and paste the info here.

yes I have a problem with the new version of topaz sharpen AI… it always crashes at the end of the process when you go to save I get the message “Windows is going to close this program” and it takes forever for that final save. I don’t get it, I got enough horsepower in my computer discrete video card why didn’t they leave well enough alone. LOL

Please confirm that by going to Help-> Graphics info, press Copy and paste the info here.

Note if you are having to an external disk, save it locally and then copy it over.

I’m glad you asked that because I went back and did some more checking. I was fairly sure I did but when I tried again it worked BUT (and this must be what I did before) if you go back into the mask and apply it without making any changes you get the scenario I described above - if you make changes it works perfectly.

UPDATE: Now I know what I did. I turned the overlay off while in Masking and manually updated there to see the processed image. Then I clicked on Apply Mask (with overlay turned off) and got the scenario as I originally described.

1 Like

2.0.1 recognized the update, and installed 2.0.2 without issue

Manual Update Preview button still keeps losing focus and the the only way to get it back is to fiddle back and forth with Auto-update Preview. I did discover that when saving it does apply the adjustment effect even though I lost it in the preview.

Toggle between Original and Preview is not operating consistently whether in processing or masking modes.

When I select the Masking Brush at the top of the screen, the setting options at the bottom of the screen show Radius - Softness - Opacity. But when I select Edge-aware those options change to Radius - Threshold - Opacity. @adam.mains How would you define Threshold in this instance? It appears it operates as Softness.

I’d like to suggest you remove the BW mask icon representation and have folks just focus on using the red overlay to see what they’ve masked.

I am experience the same scenario with Masking as @PaulM.

Application & Version: Topaz Sharpen AI Version 2.0.2
Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Graphics Hardware: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 441.28
CPU RAM: 63319 MB
Video RAM: 6144 MB
Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

Hi,

just updated (twice) from 1.x, now running 2.0.2. Just some questions:

I can’t set the Output directory: after choosing one the results always appear in the source directory.

Image format: when I select PNG I get DNG, choosing DNG gives me TIF (which is the input format).

Thanks in advance

Chris

I forgot: it is a matter of batch processing, I did not work with the single imgae output.

I have various input, jpg & TIF and with these settings output to the source directory:

And with these settings, all PNGs in a selected directory … became DNGs in a unselected directory the directory selected for output was - “D:\Users.…\Pictures\Exports - Capture One” :

NOTE: This folder appears directly before the input folder:

@adam.mains you may want to check this out.

OK, you are right. If I drag the picture onto the executable, it has no option for save. So I understand that in this case, it works like a plugin version.

No problem with that, but without advice, you are not aware of it and I have lost two original pictures because it was not so obvious that I was working in plugin mode, as I started the program directly, not from other one. Anyway, I have learnt the lesson and I start first the program and then open the picture from the menu.

Regarding the quality slider in jpg saving, I have sent you by e-mail a screen capture after selecting JPG (anyway, it was the default, as the picture was a JPG).

As others have indicated, to have the AUTO parameters selected by the AI as a default starting point for manual change should be nice, not always the 50/50 values.

On the other hand, the new version 2 seems a big step in UI over the previous one. Keep improving! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes