Proteus 3 black splotche blotting

I tried different Proteus values and it was reproduced.
It occurs when the value of "REVERT COMPRESSION(compression)“RECOVER DETAILS(details)”“REDUCE NOISE(noise)” is small.
The value of “SHAPEN(blur)”“DEHALO(halo)”“ANTI-ALIAS/DEBLUR(preblur)” does not seem to be affected.
It does not occur at 2x, but only at 4x.
(VEAI scaling is 2x4x scale only; all other scaling is adjusted by Lanczos.)

Example
ffmpeg -y -i %1 -sws_flags spline+accurate_rnd+full_chroma_int -filter_complex veai_up=model=prob-3:scale=4:compression=x:details=x:noise=x:blur=0:halo=0:preblur=0 -an -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -vendor apl0 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le “%~n1_xx.mov”

4 Likes

It happens even in 3.0.12. Is Topaz not going to fix this?

2 Likes

I made an AviSynth script that patches a Proteus4X ProRes render with an equivalent Proteus2X render when it detects a hole, lol. ZIP file includes a demo.

Here’s the debug view mode in action:

3 Likes

Nice work sir! Good job

1 Like

@TicoRodriguez @Kadet @ForSerious @collinstrevor25 @meimeiriver @Krazeyivan

Hi all, we are still attempting to recreate this issue and thus far, this does seem to be occurring due to each of your GPUs overheating. We have been unable to recreate this issue. Of those of you who have commented on this issue, can you please answer the following questions;

1. Is this occurring with v 3.2.7?

2. Is your GPU up to date

3. Do you have a cooling unit for your GPU?

4. If you enable low power mode, does this still occur?
    Please post the following (even if you have already for us to have concise information for each case):

5. System profile
    How To Obtain Your System Profile (Windows)

6. Screenshot showing the heat of your GPU while this issue occurs

2 Likes

Nope, just tested this on CPU only and it does the same. Definetely not GPU overheating.

Check these video samples yourself Black flickering spots in encoded video

2 Likes
  1. also occurs in 3.2.7.
  2. GPU Driver is the latest version.
  3. the GPU has a standard fan. In this test, including balanced mode, the temperature never exceeded 72 degrees.
  4. I compared the results in balanced mode and low power mode. low power mode resulted in lower conversion fps and slightly lower temperatures, but both resulted in artifacts. The file sizes are exactly the same.
  5. DxDiag will post with Machine name and Machine Id removed.

I also compared CPU (device=-1) and GPU (device=0) after seeing testthewest20’s post.
The artifacts are slightly smaller on the CPU, but occur at the same frames and same locations as on the GPU.

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X RAM 64GB GPU RTX 2700 SUPER

Balance mode CPU

Low Power mode CPU

Balance mode GPU

Low Power mode GPU

Balance GPU-Z

Low Power mode GPU-Z

File Size Compare

CLI Bat & DxDiag & other
VEAIBlack.ZIP (31.3 MB)

3 Likes

Thank you very much can you also post your Dxdiag?

I don’t think it’s an overheating issue. I have everything up to date (Nvidia 3050 Studio driver). In my case, black spots popped up on the video when I zoomed in more than 2x. When I magnified exactly 2x, there were no spots. Tested on 3.2.7.

1 Like

I tried it on another PC.
Occurred on the same frame. However, the size of the hole is different from both CPU and RTX2070SUPER.
As I recall, each GPU has a different model, but the fact that it still occurs suggests that the program side (filter side) must contain some error?

CPU Ryzen 5 5600X GPU Radeon RX 5500XT

Balance mode GPU (Radeon RX 5500XT)

Balance mode GPU-Z (Radeon RX 5500XT)
RadeonRX5500XT

DxDiag Radeon
DxDiag_Radeon5500.txt (97.6 KB)

1 Like

Test Prob2, Prob4 in alpha version.

GPU Prob2 4x

GPU Prob4 4x

Prob4’s image quality rating is stated in the alpha test forum :melting_face:

Are you seeing any black splotches with v4? I cannot see any, however, I wanted to double check prior to assuming in case my monitor needs to be recalibrated.

Happened in 2 different videos (both high quality 1080p rips) using Proteus Auto. Tried 3.2.4, 3.2.5, 3.2.6 app verisons.

Usually comes up in dark scenes. Here is a screenshot and video sample.
topaz.flickering

Encoded video
Source video

EDIT: after testing it happens only when upscaling to 4K or higher resolution. 720p, 1080p, 1440p are spots free.

2 Likes
1 Like

No black splotches were observed in V2 and V4 in this test.

However, this test is only to reject the false hypothesis that GPU heating is the cause. If V4 is developed without grasping the factors in V3, the same problem may be inherent.

I have not tested V4 alpha for a long time because of the large amount of blurring and the significant loss of detail.

Yes, I agree with you, I do not think that this has anything to do with overheating and the documents you have given us have added to that understanding.

1 Like

Happened in 2 different videos (both high quality 1080p rips) using Proteus Auto. Tried 3.2.4, 3.2.5, 3.2.6 app verisons.

Usually comes up in dark scenes. Here is a screenshot and video sample.
topaz.flickering

Encoded video
Source video

EDIT: after testing it happens only when upscaling to 4K or higher resolution. 720p, 1080p, 1440p are spots free.

3 Likes

v3.2.10b CPU(RYZEN 7 5800X)

v3.2.10b GPU(RTX2070 Super)

It has not changed from previous versions.

1 Like

v3.3.4.0b CPU(RYZEN 7 5800X)

v3.3.4.0b GPU(RTX2070 Super)

Have the causes of this bug been found?
And when will the bug be fixed?

Currently appears to be a specific model issue that will require us to create a replacement unfortunately :frowning: We are still looking into other possibilities as well. Can you achieve the same issue with any other model on your end?