Gigapixel v6.2.2

yes but that might lead to even more confusion when someone owns a certain megapixel camera but by choosen the same megapixels in the application the size will be noticeably different!

The problem with this and why I hate that in PhotoAI is the AI models (as far as I’m aware) are based on scales of 2x, 4x and 6x. Anything inbetween uses the lower AI model. eg 3x would do 2x AI then plain upsampling to reach 3x, which is absolutely not what I want when I’m using an application that’s supposed to be using AI, its just a waste of storage space.

For some reason Face Recovery isn’t working for me on 6.2.xx , seems like it’s disabled or using an older model as the results I get are poor, had to go back to 6.1

Actually, the AI models in all Topaz AI apps are based on only 1x, 2x and 4x… and 6x is a lanczos upscale from 4x. The transitions between the sizes are at 121% and 240%. In other words, 121% and up uses the 2x model, and 240% and up uses the 4x model.

Below image shows some of the model tile sizes in 6.2.2:

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 4.46.42 PM

1 Like

I’m in the same position as you. Face recovery appears to do nothing though it does spend time calculating something when activated for the first time on an image. The same happens in the 6.3 beta versions, but the PhotoAI app face recovery does work.

I have a GTX 1060.

That’s even weirder given Gigapixel having 0.5x, 2x, 4x, 6x in the UI - would make more sense to stick to AI model presets and I certainly use 1x more than 0.5x and why 6x is generally worthless.

Same happens in video enhance, the HD, 4k, etc resolution sizes don’t necessarily correspond to the AI model sizes.

There is at least some logic there, if you are mastering for a resolution standard. Although I’d argue still better off letting your production software do the final scale. I don’t see the logic in wasting space on plain upscaling before the final pass (or at all if you aren’t targeting a specific resolution for a good reason).

Even if I have chosen to use my GPU to upscale the images, Gigapixel insists on using my CPU cores which are very slow. I double checked it from the activity monitor - my GPU is idle. I didn’t have that problem when I had version 5.5.2, in fact the process used to be super fast. Now I have to wait ages for a single photo upscale.

Application & Version: Topaz Gigapixel AI Version 6.2.2
Operating System: macOS 12.6
Graphics Hardware: AMD Radeon VII OpenGL Engine
OpenGL Driver: 4.1 ATI-4.8.101
CPU RAM: 131072 MB
Video RAM: 2047 MB
Preview Limit: 4492 Pixels