Gigapixel v6.2.2

I’d like to ask about GAI 5.5.2 - is it possible to release an installer (or a portable version with CPU models), which will be independent with registry settings and Programdata | Appdata location to the 6.x version of the program? When I used commandline to redirect current 5.5.2 installation - it did the job, but then 6.2.0 also installed in this folder, mixing up models… :slight_smile:
The reason I’m asking for this is that this particular version is fairly fast on Skylake-class CPUs, and also has unique not-too-sharp scaling models - for some reason I find them way better for some workflows, than the current GAI 6.2.0.
I did a VMWare ThinApp portable for my licensed GAI 5.5.2 with downloaded CPU models, but the program doesn’t like such virtualization and usually crashes on switching them - all data is compressed inside one huge EXE after all. Hence my humble request. :slight_smile:

It’s great, that VEAI 3 can work alongside 2.6.4, which I’d like to be able to do with GAI, too.

Is there a 6.2.2 release?

1 Like

I’d also like the option with 6.3.0 (or whatever is next) to have multiple versions installed, as I still think for a number of things 5.4.5 is superior to 6.2.0 and I can only have the latter installed.

3 Likes

The better is 5.4.2 for me not really 5.4.5

1 Like

…and the poster above likes 5.5.2 - I think the summary is we’d all like the choice!

BTW any particular reasons?

Here’s a test image I used (well, a link and some scaled images):

1 Like

Trying to uninstall and reinstall 6.1 until this update is improved but Windows cannot find the ‘…uninstaller.exe’
Not located in Program Files folder either.
I’m loathe to use system restore as I would need to reinstall a lot of other updtes since the last restore point (why wasn’t there a restore poiint made before update?). Is there a manual uninstall guide?

There is a Quality-Mismatch between GigaPixel and PhotoAI…

I use the LowRes-Model to upscale 6x on both Applications!

Notice the Difference in Quality (100% View)…
With PhotoAI there are much more Details than GigaPixel! (GigaPixel is blurred):

1 Like

Thanks for the update. It appears that there is a bug in Gigapixel AI (reported via support channel as well). Capturing my email below for reference.

I believe I now know the real issue here. It appears that the latest version of Gigapixel AI v6.2.2 also has an issue. The problem appears when I try to open a DNG file via “Open with” option from Microsoft windows explorer. This opens up Gigapixel AI with the file and it tries to save the file back to the same DNG file at the end and crashes. It appears that there is some issue with that. It is important to note that when I open Gigapixel AI from start menu and then open the same DNG file from drag-and-drop or File/open then Gigapixel saves the file with a suffix, so the destination file is different from the source file. This works!
It appears that when the source and the destination (to which Gigapixel is to save the file) is the same then the software crashes with the same DNG. I have uploaded the DNG to your Dropbox, which you can use as an example.

TL;DR uninstalled 6.2.2 as unusable for me…

Okay, so I Installed 6.2.2 and updated to the latest Nvidia studio driver (required for Video AI 3.0.1) then tried resizing a fairly small image. Didn’t look great so tried Face Recovery. Made it to about 85% complete and poof, no more GPAI. Tried again, same thing, a third time as a 2x2 comparison and it just stuck at 85%. Tried to close w/o save and it just stayed there. Eventually went to the task manager and it locked the whole computer for about 2 minutes then came back to me while I was still trying to rememeber which button was the reset one…

Haven’t had that with any previous version.

Oh and there’s was no uninstaller for 6.2.2 in “uninstall or change a program”, just 6.1.0 which didn’t point to anything? After re-installing 6.2.0 I now have an uninstaller for that.

I put 6.2.0 back (renamed the program file directory for 6.2.2) and it runs okay. Oh and it turns out the image I was using is the best example of Face Recovery doing something good I’ve seen to date, so I did need it :slight_smile:

Yup, the possibility to use these 5.x.x versions along 6.x, with each having its own “space”, would be great - I don’t mind having extra space used for the models - I could even redirect that to NAS! :slight_smile:

I managed to “virtualize” GAI v4.4.5 though, which, I think, is also unique for some workflow.

1 Like

v6.2.2 no longer crashing for me in batch mode: at least in the one folder of JPGs I tested.

1 Like

The AI model files cannot be downloaded, please share the downloading link for the AI files of 6.2.2

I have no idea what’s going on.

Running a Intel X99 5960X at 4Ghz and a AMD 6700XT GPU and 32GB of DDR4 3200 quad channel.

Version 5.8.0 and before…super fast! An image a second almost.

Version 6 onwards (even 6.2.2) it slows to a crawl. Maybe 1 image every 10 seconds and will at times crash out.

Set to use the GPU and full ram. Even switching off Face etc. does nothing to improve performance. If I uninstall and go back to 5.8.0, it’s super fast again.

Something in 6.X.X onwards my setup does not work well with.

I also get the same issue on my Intel 11th gen Framework laptop. 5.8.0- fast! 6.X.X - slow!

Face Recovery is no longer working for me either after upgrade to 6.2. It was working beautifully before.

Same kind of problem (I guess) here.
Last version. I’m working on CGI movies. I talk about the standard model.
With some very smooth gradients (like, it’s so smooth that there is dithering or grain to avoid banding), especially with skin tones (reddish skins) the upscale produces big squares (like 200 pixels wide) with just gradient inside the square, so the result is ugly.

I came back to previous version to avoid that. I don’t want to spend time to guess if the changing tone here or there is due to normal upscale, or it’s the side of a square artifact.

It’s too bad because this standard model has huge improvements otherwise.

yes, we already reported this issue during the beta tests. the development team is aware of this issue. please be patient. :slight_smile:

Oh, OK, thanks. I am patient anyway, don’t worry. ^^

Don’t know if it is already been discussed, but it would be great to see the option to upscale resolution to specified number of Mpixels.
So users could specify final resolution in Mpixels…
Than GPX AI should calculate approirate final dimensions based by that value.
Something like as the current Photo AI upscales small photos to 12Mpx…

And please add a grain effect option.

:slight_smile:

Offering megapixels is not so easy. The photo camera manufacturers have no clear standards regarding megapixels. They often tend to round up the numbers. For example my Nikon Coolpix 5000 had 2560 * 1920 = 4.915.200 pixels but was advertised as one of the first 5 megapixel cameras.

1 Like

I don’t mean the exact number of MPx, but the closest possible.
such an option exists in On1 Resize AI as well as certain non-AI graphics converters. (Xn convert etc…) It would make sense for certain users…
The most banal example…
Some cloud services have limitations not only in file size but also in image resolution. So, for example, Google photos had a limit of 100MPx until recently… For example…