Gigapixel v5.7.3

Okay, than it perhaps is more sensible for me as I’m doing photography since 1980s… Each technologic invention brings an improvement but nothing replaces a talent. E.g., “oil paint” and “sketch” filters did not make a great artist from every photoshop user.

Same thing here, it just keeps downloading the standard model file. Happens when I “open with” in Photoshop, and also when I load a file directly from the Gigapixel “file” menu. During the back to back downloads, if I can manage to change from the default “standard” to any other model (it’s not easy!), the downloads sometimes stop, but will then resume when I go back to the standard selection.

Win10 latest, 10 core i9, 128gb ram, old Nvidia 760 GPU.

1 Like

Same here. Standard Model download stuck in endless loop. Tried turning model downloads off via Preferences but setting is ignored. Uninstalling and rolling back to previous version :frowning:

Glad to know it’s not just me, Christian. I’ve been in touch with Topaz, who have requested some diagnostics from my computer. I await their response!

This is on my 2011 Asus laptop:
-Intel i5 2nd generation
-Geforge GT540M of 1 GB
-6 GB of ram
-Windows 10 21H1
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

The problem was related to the 512MB partition reserved for the system.
I had to delete all the partitions and reinstall Windows 10 21H1.
But strangely, with many possible combinations, it created each time a 800 MB partition with the WinPE and a 54 MB system-only partition. Now, you need at least 50 MB to run the system backups with the program built into Windows. And I had to double the size of this partition otherwise I can’t make any backup. That’s why I say that the 21H1 version is broken.
And so I prefer not to update my everything with this version.

I use 2 programs. The one integrated to Windows and an external software which is convenient to recover files or restore specific partitions or all partitions of any disk.
The program in question is AOMEI Backupper.

V5.7.0 keeps crashsing on larger files. The error message says I need to look at my graphics card, but I never had this problem before.

The first issue I’ve ever had a qualm with happened to rear its ugly head after I updated to 5.7.0 a couple of days ago.

When I set some or just a single image and set its height or width before processing and exit the program when done, the next time I load the program and open images to process, the dimensions reset to 160 to 210 px.

And just now I’ve noticed not all images in the list a processing either. Out of a 30 image batch, 23 completed and 7 did not process.

Just my .02

I still love Gigapixel. It’s simple and very effective for my needs.

In this version, the “save image” button inexplicably disappears after processing an image. Previously, you could export an image using one model, switch to a different model or change settings and immediately export again as the “save image” button was still there. This is very useful for saving images using different models/settings and then choosing the best one. Hopefully this is a bug and not a conscious decision as I don’t see the rationale behind it.

Left → 5.6 Right → 5.7.1
Standard mode x6 auto mode.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’m use the same backup programs.
I had some doubts about AOMEI, as I had a bad experience when using a similar EaseUS Todo Backup program.
I’m glad I made the right choice this time.

After updating to 5.7.1 the issue of the dimensions resetting when selecting a new image or choosing to change the AI model of an image just processed still exists.

I’m still getting skipped files during batch processing in 5.7.1. Count number of files, process equal number of files - what’s so difficult about this?

1 Like

To process each file once rather than skip some of them and double-process other :blush:

Thanks for confirming my intention to give the developers another year for an actual improvement instead of a quality downgrade before re-subscribing. :wink:

And yes I know, with 6x and especially a low quality input image, about any detail that you might see in max zoom is completely made-up, yet I think on the left image a better job was done. I prefer some more plausible made-up detail over less detail though with less noise.

If the “invented” elements of the image do not prevent the recognition of a person’s face, then I completely agree with you. The most important thing is the eyes and nose. Even the teeth are secondary, unless they look like a chessboard in the original.
In the process of retouching black-and-white and color photos, it is often necessary to use the “stamp” or “chameleon” tool. And everything looks fine. The main thing is to apply such technologies where they are appropriate.

Why does the position of the image change?
only the “highly compressed” mode maintains the image position

@partha.acharjee

I experience Gigapixel just much better than in the past, it no longer denoises many important image details.

The detail resolution is great.

5.7.1 - Standard Model

Before - That was even worse, this is simulated.

I make comparisons all the time.

Downloaded images from the 50.000€ digital back Phase One XF 150 megapixel, reduced to 37 megapixel and enlarged again to original size.

It is so that today you need no more than 40 - 50 megapixels.

The quality before the enlargement plays a role, of course.

To get to 40 - 50 megapixels you need no more than 18 - 22 megapixels.

However, there can be problems with particularly fine details (e.g. letters), which are sometimes split incorrectly, but this does not matter (sometimes).

Just an FYI, this behaviour is still happening with the 5.7.1 update.