Gigapixel v5.6.1

Comparing 5.6.1 to 5.2.0.5b and the Noise reduction is much less effective. I’m comparing the old ‘Architectural’ to ‘Lines’, which seems to be the closest equivalent. The other modes seem to have even less effect.

This was using GPU/Low in both. In 5.6.1 while some noise was removed, the rest has a liberal sprinkling of red/green pixels throughout if I zoom in.

In 5.6.1 switching to CPU prompted for a model download that never came. Cancelling the option didn’t work, as it popped up for every attempt at a Preview.

Going into Preferences stopped that happening - although it took exiting and restarting the program for that to ‘stick’ - but even though it then attempted a Preview - and took quite a while doing it using 100% CPU and ~20% GPU - there was no actual result and it said ‘Preview not Updated at the bottom of the screen’, so no idea if CPU would look better.

Can I download the AI models separately?

Edit: After closing and restarting the program again and variously swapping modes about, the CPU mode did eventually download its CPU/Low model.

The results were even noisier than those produced by GPU/Low and actually worse than the original.

1-CPU

I haven’t tested the plugin version yet but in standalone, the new version 5.6.0 and 5.6.1 are faster than before. The 4 view feature is really cool too. This is a very nice update.

2 Likes

It really helps, doesn’t it?!

Topaz should have fixed the info call out on this 5.6.1 update. I mentioned it previously and the call out does not show the correct info for Face Refine and Color Bleed settings. I finally found a way to capture this below. Only the setting for color bleed was on at the time.

1 Like

The CPU setting is very slow compared to a good GPU. My Radeon RX5600 XT GPU processed a 1200 px (long side) picture 3X in three seconds. You didn’t say what your original size was.

I haven’t had any problem with my wireless Logitech mouse hovering over the ? It works every time.

I hope you can get a better computer in the future.

That makes me wonder whether the saved version had it on, or off…

I think the saved files had the correct settings. You can see here that the results after saving show correctly.

I specifically use a wired mouse b/c when I had a wireless mouse it drained & had to be recharged too frequently for my taste. I hated it!

My PC is 2 yrs old. No company ownership to pay/replace it or set up & re-install all favored s/w - some of which can no longer be re-installed…It will remain. With its very high RAM level & decent amt of memory for storage. :desktop_computer: :house_with_garden: And, quite decent functionality otherwise… I investigated GPU options last Xmas but very low inventory & excessive prices nuked that. Coupled with user comments re: issues with GPU processing in the AI line.

Thanks Ron. Love the owl image!

@taylor.bishop would it be possible to have the “Time” summary remain at the end of processing instead of disappering? both Sharpen AI and Denoise AI leave the Time summary so we know how long the process took.

My mouse is a Logitech M705 wireless laser. Two AA batteries run it for about two years and I never need to turn it off in normal use. There is a small receiver that plugs into a USB port.

It’s $30 at Office Depot/Office Max. Logitech M705 910 001935 Wireless Mouse Gray - Office Depot

2 Likes

when i launch gigapixel ai it states that it is in trial mode and i need to sign in to use all the features.wheni put in my email address and my password it states connection closed{0}.and it will not work.denoise ai and sharpen ai work on my computer.if i go to the topaz site i can log in and see all my details

1 Like

Okay, Tommie. Thx. Sounds like you are a paid subscriber. I had something similar happen a while back.

I contacted Customer Support & they were very prompt about correcting it. You need to go to the main Topaz Labs Cust Spt site vs in this discussion forum.

Try this link… You’ll have to log in w/your acct info then can open a Support Help Ticket:

Good luck.

Thx! That’s what I used to use…

I don’t know if Fry’s Electronics was in other places besides CA for you to be familiar with it. But it was a ginormous computer/electronics chain store with many branches throughout CA. When I bought my mouses (meese?) over the years I’d go over there - they literally had hundreds of models and with display models to try out for comfort (for instance, I could never use the one I got for my Dad with his Parkinson’s) as well as intended use (gaming, etc.) and price point. So whenever I was ready for another I tried various options. What I have now is what I ended up liking best for me after various different alternatives.

Just to be on the ‘verify’ side, I did some Web research after seeing your earlier note and consistently the point that’s made is that wired will not handle things like I mentioned above differently than wireless. The main tradeoffs seems to be “convenience” (if you think you might get tangled up in a cord - I don’t) & speed (for gaming purposes). But it’s good to know you found one you really like! Thx for letting me know which one it is. I appreciate it.

I also checked with my PhD EE/computer sci spouse (who programs) re: my question above about being able to expand the sensitivity zone (for lack of a better word) for those “?” buttons. And, the answer was that it is definitely something that code can be developed for. Guess all I can do is rpt clinically (w/out editorializing here re: commercial prods) what I’m experiencing & ask questions about the tech stuff I’d like to understand conceptually.

Thx again for sending me the mouse info!

I lived in CA for 15 years so I was familiar with Fry’s. Great store to go exploring. The older M705s needed batteries after a few months but the new ones go a long time. I never liked the drag on the mouse that a wire has but if its not a problem then it works well. Since you are having a problem trying to get Gigapixel to recognize your cursor then maybe something is going bad in the mouse or driver. I have had mice go bad but mostly switches. You might try re-installing the driver and any mouse software.

BTW a fun fact. I was the senior project engineer and designed parts of the modular switching power supply that runs the NASDAQ sign in Times square. Of course it takes a lot of power supplies of the same type. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello taylor,

I would like to take part in the Gigapixel beta testing too!

Greetings, Imo

thanks.i have sent an email to topaz

Yeah. It’s better. And also more practical.

Well, yes and no? :wink: I export images and overlay them as layers in another program and toggle them on and off at various levels of magnification to see which one works best, and it’s not as easy to distinguish changes when they’re laid out next to each other in GAI.

A nice addition would be to do something similar to swapping layers externally: I.e. toggling between the different ‘types’ all in the same Preview Window with the Original next to them. You could then move around and see that: Yes, one method does very well on backgrounds or noise, but another is better on finer detail etc. and judge which one to export, instead of having to export them all and choose the best one afterwards?

1 Like

Agreed!