Gigapixel v5.6.1

Why do you change a pane (like to be Low Res) if it’s already showing in another pane? Just curious.

Simple, to change the settings.

1 Like

Oh, so you compare Low Res in 2 diff panes with diff settings levels to figure out which you like best? That’s a cool idea. Reminds me of some of the ‘classic’ Topaz products that let us take Snapshots that we could then compare & pick a fave from. Thx,

The preview in Gigapixel 5.6.0 never updates. It keeps trying to update but always ends up not updated with a solid red bar.

3 Likes

Version 5.6.0. is using up to 50% of a 16 core 5950x but only max 30% of a 3080ti GPU, plus to that, 30+ Gigs of RAM (just keeps filling while exporting, more and more …), while only 2.3GB of the 3080ti VRAM is used … :frowning: After canceling the exportation (after 5min), the program continues utilizing 19.6 GBs of RAM :frowning: *471.68 (latest, 08.10.2021) NVIDIA Studio Driver

Screenshots / Proof:

https://i.postimg.cc/x0z5C5Sn/V5-6-0-001.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/hcZ116DK/V5-6-0-002.jpg

Since beta GAI 5.6.0.0b, this version still decides to always use GPU (very fast) even if I decide to use CPU, that’s on the 471.68 Studio driver. :slight_smile:

I also noticed images are not as sharp as version 5.5.2. I liked how the sharpness was in previous version. in this new version results look a bit blurry and almost looks like how photoshop would enlarge the image but without artifacts.

@taylor.bishop While some things have been corrected - GPU is used when selecting it, although is also at ~20% when CPU is selected during Preview - some of what I said about 5.5.2 last week still applies.

Preview is still Jagged, making choosing options more difficult and it is still (a year after I first started playing with this and it wasn’t news then) adding red and green pixels where none were before; even on Black and White images.

Also, Standard seems to do almost nothing at all on some images even with Blur and Noise removal sliders at 100%. GPU ~100% is being used, but Previews seem worryingly short on some zoom levels. Noticeably less sharp than 5.5.2 was. On other images, it does make quite a large difference, but hard to see what the trigger is.

See attached for jaggies and red/green extra pixels.

Does this update give it compatibility with macOS Monterey?

Thanks for the update!

Will there be the ability to use the spilt view slider between two models and not just against the original ? I personally think it would be the best way to determine the best model for the job.

2 Likes

Exactly! Especially the standard mode often looks like as if I made an upscale just with Photoshop!

2 Likes

@taylor.bishop

GAI 5.6.1 - used Full Win Installer. Win 10 Pro PC. Processor Pref: Auto (didn’t crash on GAI launch)

Standalone:

• Settings panel: Auto Settings switch manually turned “Off”. I wish it would be ‘sticky’ and remember the way I last used it. I prefer not having to remember to turn it off each time I use the program.
  • Still having issues with the reliability of the “?” hover-over Settings Summary in Comparison View. It rarely detects my (wired, not wireless) mouse’s cursor hover & mostly doesn’t display the popup info box of settings. Tried screen snips to show you where cursor was & PC can’t capture it. It likely would need video to demo.

Plugin - (Ps 2021 Host - File > Automate > GAI menu):

• Ditto the Standalone re: Mouse/Cursor Over Popup “?” Settings Info Box. Program is verrry finicky about where the cursor will trigger the popup (needs a broader zone…when I do watchface design I must be sure info areas I designate as ‘buttons’ have enough size to be easily triggered, not sure if same for this type of program) & doesn’t consistently pop up even if placed in a consistent (very specific) spot.

• Standard Mode previews pretty much look the same as my Originals. No discernible value-add (other than upsizing) even if Sharpen (DeBlur) sliders are increased in value. In this example, Std hides my crappy, fringey selection of the guy from another bkground. If Std = Upsize Only maybe it should have a diff. mode name.

• Could Not Save Back to Ps 2021. GAI 5.6.1 Hung (see Snip) at 7% processing level -after taking 3 minutes to get to that level. It generated an AMD Timeout Msg Box.

Unlike with betas, I had File Logging Off for this commercial product. Cannot attach log for this event. But I did submit a report to AMD and cited the s/w I was using when the program hung.

1 Like

when i try to activate gigapixel ai it says connection closed.how do i open it

Continuing testing Ps plugin after it Hung in last test…

I manually changed my Processor handling option in Prefs from Auto (the default it loaded with) to CPU/Medium.

Ques: What is the value of ‘Auto’ if it’s not selecting the optimal processing option on each user’s computer? If it just defaults to GPU and a user’s computer can’t handle working with Topaz AI products using GPU then it should not do that. It should be able to sense that in some way and use CPU. IMO. Or, remove the “Auto” setting in Prefs.

After that Manual processor utilization change, GAI plugin was able to apply my settings and send my image back to the Ps layers stack w/out hanging or crashing. It took 7 minutes for GAI to process my 2x upscaled image & send it back to the Ps 2021 UI using CPU/medium.

1 Like

Tommie - Do you mean activate in the sense of enter an ID number, after having just purchased the program so it recognizes you as a legit owner, or do you mean launch it from your computer’s desktop (or, as a plugin)?

If the latter, what computer system and OS are you using? And what processor type?

If the program is crashing before you can launch it that means you can’t get into the Help menu to copy your systems info from there to paste here. You may need to open a Support Tkt on the main Topaz site vs in this user-user forum.

CPU mode now works, but it’s like it’s totally not using AVX-512 on i9-7940X… Way slower, than before 5.6.x, at least in preview generation.

Win 10. Ps plugin of GAI 5.6.1.

Preview gen misaligned in center part of GAI UI - shifted as the preview gen processing began. Did not align when clicked on (either in Preview box or Nav box):

Old Versions had a setting for “NO preview”.

Can we have that back pleeeeeas?

3 Likes

i’m interested in hearing about this too, i loved the speed of 5.5.x but the sharpness was decreased signifigantely not making it worth the speed, and perhaps the reason it was so fast was due to the sharpness decrease?

1 Like

@taylor.bishop I have the SOLUTION/CAUSE of the Jaggies in the Preview Window. :smile:

It is caused by my Display Settings, which are at 125%. Setting it to 100% fixes the Jaggies and the Preview window is useful again, as the image is no longer ‘stretched’ (but the text is too tiny for me to use like that in general, so back to 125% it goes).

I had a slightly related problem with text placement in various text popouts in a version last year (about September time?) that was caused by this.

A point update corrected that problem for several versions afterwards, but it seems to have managed to sneak its influence into a different place in more recent versions.

Hoping that now it’s identified it’s as ‘easy’ (I hope?) a fix as it was last time? :wink: :ok_hand: