Download: Windows, Mac
Released September 3, 2020.

Major Features

• OpenVINO processing now supports the new Intel Tiger Lake CPU

Improvements

• A Photoshop plugin tutorial has been added to the tutorials section
  • Zoom button has been updated

Fixes

• When using OpenVINO, the program should no longer crash on certain machines. If OpenVINO reports an error, Gigapixel will automatically disable OpenVINO use and fall back to basic CPU processing.
  • Face detection should no longer cause crashes on certain machines
  • When auto-update preview is turned off, the preview panel should no longer update when switching view modes

Known Issues

• Calibration crashes on some machines when testing OpenVINO availablity. If you know you have a discrete GPU in your device, then manually turn that on for best results. OpenVINO will stay disabled.

_

We’ve noticed a higher-than-average crash rate with NVidia users in particular. Most of these are due to out-of-date drivers. To fix this, you’ll need to update your driver through NVidia GeForce or through the NVidia website.

If you’re on the latest driver, you’ll need to switch to the Game Ready Driver in NVidia GeForce. You can find out how to do this on the NVidia website.

If you’re still having issues with crashing, please let me know. We’ve upgraded one of our 3rd-party libraries in this update (Tensorflow specifically) and that’s what causing this. We’ll have a fix out soon that will prevent the crashing.

2 Likes

My Notebook with a Nvidia 2060 now crashes… did not before this update!
Please roll it back

4 Likes

After upgrading to 5.1.5 program crash at 2%, no matter what settings I use, VINO, no VINO, GPU or CPU.
I also crash at 2% when calibrating best settings.
5.1.4 and before were very stable.

Application & Version: Topaz Gigapixel AI Version 5.1.5

Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Graphics Hardware: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 446.14

CPU RAM: 16316 MB

Video RAM: 6144 MB

Preview Limit: 6663 Pixels

And here is the first lines from the Main Log:
2020-09-03T18:25:23.189 [Info ] <TCrashReporter::start line #: 52> Thread ID: 0x2286e7f69a0 TCrashReporter::start:: starting TCrashReporter for app version “5.1.5”
2020-09-03T18:25:23.192 [Info ] <TCrashReporter::createCrashesDirAndReturnDBPath line #: 143> Thread ID: 0x2286e7f69a0 TCrashReporter::start:: created crashdata dir at “C:/Users/Mats/AppData/Local/Temp/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Gigapixel AI/Crashes/db”
2020-09-03T18:25:23.192 [Info ] <TCrashReporter::start line #: 64> Thread ID: 0x2286e7f69a0 TCrashReporter::start:: handlerPath: “C:/Program Files/Topaz Labs LLC/Topaz Gigapixel AI/crashpad_handler.exe”
2020-09-03T18:25:23.192 [Info ] <TCrashReporter::cleanCrashesDirToMaxNumCrashDumps line #: 208> Thread ID: 0x2286e7f69a0 “TCrashReporter::cleanCrashesDirToMaxNumCrashDumps:: Checking if we should clean crashes dir to only have 20 dump files.”
2020-09-03T18:25:23.192 [Info ] <TCrashReporter::cleanCrashesDirToMaxNumCrashDumps line #: 211> Thread ID: 0x2286e7f69a0 “TCrashReporter::cleanCrashesDirToMaxNumCrashDumps:: Num crash dumps is only 6. No need to clean.”
2020-09-03T18:25:23.239 [Info ] <TCrashReporter::start line #: 113> Thread ID: 0x2286e7f69a0 TCrashReporter::start:: start successful
2020-09-03T18:25:23.303 [Warning] < line #: 0> Thread ID: 0x22876fab080 Script “DebugTools” is specified with non-relative URL “qrc:/TBase/DebugTools.js” in a qmldir file. URLs in qmldir files should be relative to the qmldir file’s directory.

4 Likes

I think it’s madness to keep rolling out x.x.1 increment version updates - what happened to good old program testing, only releasing new software when it was as sure as can be that it was at its best ? It seems now it’s a case of sending out an x.x.1 new version and let the people (i.e. YOUR CUSTOMERS) get back to you… comes across as sloppy and actually quite disrespectful to your customers who are paying you for software, not for the task to test your software.

11 Likes

opened an image for processing and the preview gets stuck at 2%

2 Likes

You are absolutely right! In the last weeks we got a lage number of updates for Sharpen AI, Noise AI and Gigapixel AI. Frustrating that nearly no version is running properly! I am a former QM-Officer in IT and can not accept that customers do the testing. Please Topas folks: Stop this confused release strategy! People have paid money for your software!

3 Likes

I also find this troubling. I used to beta test for over a decade. But now I just like to pay for working software. I am amazed at what goes on here at Topaz.

2 Likes

I agree 150%, it is utterly ridiculous. It makes Topaz look like amateurs. I no longer update and just read the feedback about bugs.

1 Like

I had posted something similar and my post got deleted.

Regular updates are a good thing, but not (IMHO) every few days, or in some cases multiple updates in less than 24 hours, with things broken that were working before! :\

I used to work in an industry that got into the habit of rushing out product before it was ready. We had a saying. “There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but somehow there is always time to redo it.”

1 Like

v5.1.5 downloaded and installed with no issue. Ran my standard test image and got the same results as before.

Application & Version: Topaz Gigapixel AI Version 5.1.5

Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)

Graphics Hardware: GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL Driver: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 452.06

CPU RAM: 16312 MB

Video RAM: 8192 MB

Preview Limit: 8000 Pixels

5.1.5 is not working for me. When I open it I can choose an image to load. After a few seconds the windows hourglass appears and stays forever. Neither the original image nor the preview appears. edit: after waiting a few minutes it begun to work as usual.

1 Like

I am not sure what Calibration does as this is now the result:

I suspect it failed because it was a 229 x 436 image.

Logs for original Calibration: GP v5.1.5 Logs.zip.txt (10.8 KB)

Second time with a 6528 x 9762 x0.5x crashed:

Crash logs: GP v5.1.5 Crash on Calibration Logs.zip.txt (7.1 KB)

Note that it did finish once and had the following results but DID NOT select any Performance options … left it at NO/NO

===========================================================
2020-09-04T10:13:10.983 [Debug ] <TEUpsamplingWorker::doBenchmark line #: 1077> Thread ID: 0x1fd9e584a60 - GPU processing speed = 17.18 sec/megapixel
2020-09-04T10:13:10.983 [Debug ] <TEUpsamplingWorker::doBenchmark line #: 1078> Thread ID: 0x1fd9e584a60 - CPU TF processing speed = 6.23 sec/megapixel
2020-09-04T10:13:10.983 [Debug ] <TEUpsamplingWorker::doBenchmark line #: 1079> Thread ID: 0x1fd9e584a60 - CPU VINO processing speed = 20.2 sec/megapixel
2020-09-04T10:13:10.983 [Debug ] <TEUpsamplingWorker::doBenchmark line #: 1080> Thread ID: 0x1fd9e584a60 - GPU VINO processing speed = 18.26 sec/megapixel
2020-09-04T10:13:10.983 [Debug ] <TEUpsamplingWorker::doBenchmark line #: 1141> Thread ID: 0x1fd9e584a60 Benchmarking successfully done!!!

1 Like

Pro Tip: For anyone who wants to revert back to V5.1.4, just head over to the 5.1.4 release page. Topaz doesn’t allow us to include links so on the top of the page, below “Gigapixel v5.1.5” title, you’ll see it says “product releases”. Click on it and there you’ll see all the previous releases

Topaz always releases a release notes page whenever they do an update, so its pretty easy to revert back to a previous version whenever theres a major bug from an update.

Cheers!

2 Likes

I still dont understand why Topaz Gigapixel plugin in photoshop is under file>automate

all your other products are under filters, and other plugins from other companies such as Luminar, etc, are also under filters. Gigapixel AI should be under filters in photoshop.

Filters cannot resize images, that is why. It’s a limitation of Photoshop.

1 Like

Hi @taylor.bishop , Can we have the exit with no changes dialog changed to be the same as Sharpen / DeNoise just for consistency …

GigaPixel:

Sharpen/DeNoise:

9 Likes

I’m with all the other Nvidia crashers at this party. This release doesn’t work. Try to open a file, hits 2% and closes. I’ve uninstalled, reinstalled, rebooted…same deal. Works fine on my non-Nvidia laptop (slow as sin but it works). So, can we download the prior build somewhere or can we expect a fix SOON?

1 Like

Update to 5.1.5 totally locks up my machine and I have a beast of a laptop.

There are no offline installers available (also not after URL manipulation) so I went back to

https://downloads.topazlabs.com/deploy/TopazGigapixelAI/latest/TopazGigapixelAI-Online-Installer.exe

which seems to be 4.4.5
I have all latest NVIDIA drivers etc and 5.1.4 worked very good

ps. it is an idea to keep a few offline installers online ? if I google for them I only find crack sites

That driver needs to be updated, the latest is 452.06. I have the exact same graphics card as you and I don’t have any problem with 5.1.5.