Gigapixel v4.9.4.1

Windows 10, photoshop 2020? i think latest

Start PNG file, 300 ppi

save photoshop (as png ofcourse)

then gigapixel ai

upscale

open photoshop - 72ppi

i saw some topic somewhat discuss this, but didnt really follow too much, metadata issue maybe?

Just realised that I don’t have the very latest version of Gigapixel. So now going through updating, and then I’ll test again with TIFs and PNGs. As a sanity check it would be a good idea to reopen the PNG exported from Photoshop back into Photoshop and check it, if you haven’t already.

photoshop png 300ppi, reopen, same same

but appreciate the tip though - sanity check, good call ;D

ive not tested with tiff, will check myself also

thanks for getting back to me

also will post my versions of software in a moment

just noticed, even though i open png file, 300 ppi, then upscaled in gigapixel but save as tiff - 300 ppi remain

The whole thing is a bit confusing because Photoshop itself can export differently depending how you save your PNG.

The PS Save As
 will export a PNG file with 300ppi metadata intact.

The PS Export As
 will export a PNG file without 300ppi metadata (for web standard PNGs I assume).

Gigapixel seems to treat “PNG to PNG” conversion as having no ppi (or 72ppi default) metadata (as per web standards). But “PNG to TIF” or “TIF to PNG” maintains the ppi metadata from the original file.

Conclusion: Image file formats are a messy business. :crazy_face:

Sure; is one not supposed to do that? I had 1.0.9 installed via the download previous versions link on the download page (though it also reported itself as 3.1.0), alongside 4.9.4.0.

I’ve uninstalled 1.0.9 and have the same problem; I’ll see about uninstalling everything, then retrace my steps.

1 Like

Uninstalled everything, reinstalled 4.9.4.0, the auto-update note comes up and it seems to find Autoupdate.exe!
BUT WAIT! THERE’S MORE! :slight_smile:
I did some rescaling to answer Taylor’s questions, and the went to update using the Check For Software Updates item on the help menu, and it says:

Restarted the app, looking to see if it’s going to let me auto-update if it’s the first thing that the app does. No. Can no longer find autoupdate.exe.
So not related to running two versions at once. The Autoupdate.exe app does something funky with paths or registry, perhaps?

Is the autoupdate.exe in the same folder as the gigapixel executable. Because it is then it is probably a permissions issue with the folder. Your userid would need full access to the folder as installs on Windows require elevated (admin) permissions.

@taylor.bishop

I also noticed a lot of red streaking horizontal lines since v.4.9.3.2!
The processed image when enlarged shows obvious horizontal red lines across the entire picture!

1 Like

After few tests I’m seeing it too. I thought it was do to compression in the original file, but I’m not sure anymore. Maybe someone can confirm. I don’t remember seeing it in previous versions, though.

Have you try disable the GPU in the preference ?
In my case, disable using GPU fix all the problems.

I don’t mind the almost daily updates to Gigapixel (Mac), but why do the updates take so long to download and apply? I haven’t since updates this slow since the old days of Microsoft Office. Isn’t there a way to speed up this process?

2020-07-02 - Followup: The update process is EVEN SLOWER with Gigapixel 5. The InstallBuilder process is interminable; even after all of the required files are downloaded, it has to then compile the updater before it can actually perform the install! It would be infinitely faster to just download the updater from Topaz and perform the update myself.

I want to share a problem with the software but I need to use a screenshot and when adding a reply here I get a msg “you can’t put images in your post” whenever I try to share an image - what’s all that about?!

I’m on a Windows 10 PC but the download and install is fast if you have fast internet so I would look into why your internet is slow. My downloads run at 27,000 (give or take) MB/s which is about 216 megabits/s. Comcast rates the download speed at 275 Mb/s. The whole process to install Gigapixel is just a few minutes. This is to say that Topaz servers are pretty fast.

FWIW

I am on an ADSL line of modest speed of approx 3Mbps download speed

When I initially did the 1.1GB downloads of GAI offline installer (was it v4.1 ?) it took approx an hour, now it takes nearly 2 hours. It does not appear to be contention as it seems to have slowed whatever time of day I do it.

I do not see this sort of slower dl speed on any other software download I need to do.

Topaz appear to use the amazonaws cloud service and indeed did so when I saw that bit higher download times. So on the face of it something has changed but nothing obvious identifiable at my end!

Wow, I though mine was slow at 23.5 Mbps!

If I could justify the cost, I could apparently get Fibre speed (FTTC [Fibre to the Cabinet] ~ is the type of service here in the UK) of between 38.4 to 57.8Mbps.

I may yet do it but that would more than double my monthly payment
none too sure I want that right now???

I am confused by the “down past” part. For me any size lower than x1 is clipped, showing the x1 cut-out with panning plus blank borders. So x1 shows the same as x0.9, as 0.7, as 0.5, as 0.2, all showing the same cut-out, just with differently sized space around them. This has been the same since the first time I ever tried and reported it to support. GPU vs. CPU makes no difference.

The earlier versions of Gigapixel worked beautifully for me. However, over the past year, it has gotten worse and worse. Today I tried to use v.4.9.4.1. Everything worked fine until I clicked Save. Then the spinning beachball swung into action. Nothing ever ended up in a folder. I gave up.

1 Like

Its the same for me but you can change the zoom level to 200% or 400% to make the preview larger when using < X1 scaling.