Gigapixel v4.9.4.1

My computer specs.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Version 1903
Alienware Aurora R8 9th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 9900K (8-Core/16-Thread, 16MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.7GHz on all cores)
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti GDDR6 (Over Clock Ready)
Installed Memory (RAM) 32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz
850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
Photoshop CC Version 21.1.0 release
Internet provider Century Link fiber optic Gigabit

Testing for Gigapixel AI 4.9.4.1
Download and Install worked perfectly from full install and online installer.
Brought in 7 images to test.
Fixes:

1. Controls do stay the same when opening or selecting another image.
  2. Controls are not resetting to the default (2x scale) when one image closes and another open.
  3. Scaling options appear to stay the same after switching between units.
  4. Not noticing a rounding issue when doing unit conversions.
  5. Adobe RGB color profile is written out to meta data correctly.

Hi dency,

Has this been a problem for you in past versions or is it this version specifically?

Could you confirm that the output is worse than the preview in a photo editing program like Photoshop? Windows Photo Viewer and the Windows “Photos” app both seem to make images fuzzier by default. I was able to replicate your issue but I’m not noticing the fuzziness when viewing it in Photoshop, in particular.

I don’t know, i started using this program from the 4.9.3, but i didn’t look the details until now. I just recognized this problem.
I opened the output file in photoshop and with the other windows image viewer,paint, third party viewers. All the same.
But i see not only me suffer from this problem. So many users reported it. I tried now 2x 4x 6x and i don’t see any differences on the pictures expect the size of the file. That’s interesting.

Can someone link the 4.4.6 version?

On my system, the output look as it should I think, v4.9.4.1, OpenVino mode (No noticeable difference with GPU enabled, latest stable AMD driver installed):

JPEG Output vs Preview

JPEG Output vs TIFF

Application & Version: Topaz Gigapixel AI Version 4.9.4.1
Operating System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Graphics Hardware: AMD Radeon ™ R9 200 Series
OpenGL Driver: 3.3.13587 Core Profile Forward-Compatible Context 20.4.2 26.20.15029.27017
CPU RAM: 16335 MB
Video RAM: 2048 MB
Preview Limit: 7134 Pixels

How does the TIFF output look? I am no big fan of PNG; I find that I have mixed results with it.

How do I get 4.9.4.1 to try?

The full installer of current version is downloadable from the links in the OP at the start of this thread :wink:

1 Like

No changes. Trunaround between Capture One 20 (Sony) and Gigapixel AI still does not work. Gigapixel does the processing, but when it should return to Capture One I get the beachball of death. Protocol below:

Date/Time: 2020-06-12 21:58:15 +0200
End time: 2020-06-12 21:59:15 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.5 (Build 19F101)
Architecture: x86_64h
Report Version: 29

Data Source: Stackshots
Shared Cache: 0x4e4d000 B8C8D6CA-9D23-3876-BB41-16E5BE6A5E58

Command: Topaz Gigapixel AI
Path: /Applications/Topaz Labs LLC/*/Topaz Gigapixel AI.app/Contents/MacOS/Topaz Gigapixel AI
Identifier: com.topazlabs.TopazGigapixelAI
Version: 4.9.4.1 (4.9.4.1)
Parent: launchd [1]
PID: 9386

Event: hang
Duration: 59.33s
Duration Sampled: 1.10s (process was unresponsive for 58 seconds before sampling)
Steps: 11 (100ms sampling interval)

Hardware model: MacBookPro16,1
Active cpus: 16
Boot args: chunklist-security-epoch=0 -chunklist-no-rev2-dev

Time Awake Since Boot: 57000s
Time Since Wake: 1100s

Timeline format: stacks are sorted chronologically
Use -i and -heavy to re-report with count sorting

I don’t believe Gigapixel can be used as a plugin yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick fix to v 4.9.4.0 preview issues, Topaz! Version 4.9.4.1 is working as it should be.

It’s not supported by Gigapixel AI at this time.

Just downloaded 4.9.4.1.

I see a bug with file saving:

1. Open a file in Gigapixel.
  2. Click on Save (bottom right of GUI).
  3. Set Image Format to “.jpg”.
  4. Drag quality slider to 9.
  5. Output the file.

Result:

Quality 10: 40.1 MB
Quality 9: 40.1 MB
Quality 8: 10.9 MB

Diff:

diff -s *_9.jpg *_10.jpg
Files quality_9.jpg and quality_10.jpg are identical

This means Gigapixel (and presumably other Topaz products) output Quality 10 whenever Quality 9 is chosen. Also makes me wonder if Quality 8 is actually the real Quality 9. It’s possible that there is some “Slider value +1” math bug in the code.

By the way I am not saying the bug was added in 4.9.4.1. I assume it existed before that but I noticed it now.

Great catch, thank you tj!

1 Like

No problem. :slight_smile: I just checked a few more qualities. They all shrink in size. Definitely looks like a “take the slider value, add +1, cap at 10” code issue.

Quality 10: 40.1 MB
Quality 9: 40.1 MB
Quality 8: 10.9 MB
Quality 7: 6.15 MB
Quality 6: 4.46 MB

Thanks for the quick reply. Looking forward to a fix.

By the way I have a quick question: Does the neural network model change with new/improved training between versions? I just upgraded from 4.4.5 to 4.9.4.1 and I imagine I’m seeing better quality from the 4x scaling mode. I used to think that 4x gave too much artifacts but now I like it. Maybe I am just imagining things.

I’m just submitting a reminder about the Autoupdate bug (admittedly in 4.9.4.0 but it should be obvious why I have to report it here).
Gigapixel AI told me there are updates available:

However, clicking “yes” leads to the error:

and closes the Gigapixel app.
Also, finding Autoupdate.exe then double-clicking it leads to the Updater app finding an update, but

and finally:

Now I realise there are other ways to download, so no one needs to tell me that :slight_smile:
I think it could just look better than having this bug me (almost) every update.

They do not. We haven’t updated the AI model in a few months (the AI takes much longer to train than doing UI updates / fixes). I try to be as explicit as possible in the changelogs, so any back-end changes like that will definitely be posted.

We are planning a model update at the end of the month actually, which is going into beta testing here on the forums in the next few days. If you’d like to join and help us test out the changes, feel free to drop me a PM!

3 Likes

Could it be you have more that one version of GigaPixel installed?

Hi there,

Not sure if I am missing something, no matter what I seem to change in settings or outputs etc.

My images are always being converted from 300ppi to 72ppi?

Why is this happening? Sorry if I am asking a question to issues already addressed, but I can’t seem to find it.

Also, what are pixel dimension restrictions?

Thank you kindly

What is telling you that the file is 72ppi? Are you on pc or mac?

When I take a 300ppi TIF and output after upsizing either a TIF or a JPG, both files are still marked as 300ppi (checked in Photoshop and Windows file UI).