DeNoise AI 2.2.12

Mac mini 2020
External GPU - was working in earlier version: Sonnet 650 w/Radeon RX 580

Really need that speed boost :frowning:

Is there any way to roll back to earlier version?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

This is odd, I don’t know what is breaking the GPU rendering with this update. I’ve seen a few cases in support so you’re not alone. I did ask support for you and there doesn’t seem to be any 100% fix other than just not using an eGPU as your renderer. Is it possible for you to change the app to run with the integrated GPU with the eGPU plugged in? I think you may be able to run it on integrated but still process on eGPU with that setup, but I don’t have access to an eGPU to reproduce or confirm any fix.

If you want to downgrade you can use the links above but just replace the version with the version you want. So for instance, if 2.2.2 worked for you, then you can use these links:

Online Mac: https://topazlabs.s3.amazonaws.com/deploy/TopazDeNoiseAI/2.2.2/TopazDeNoiseAI-2.2.2-osx-Online-Installer.dmg
Full Mac: https://topazlabs.s3.amazonaws.com/deploy/TopazDeNoiseAI/2.2.2/TopazDeNoiseAI-2.2.2-osx-Full-Installer.dmg

I confirmed this was broken and have a fix in place. Thank you very much for reporting this issue. I’ll have the fix out by the end of the day.

Wow, thanks!

Well, phooey. 2.2.4 is still broken for me. I will try to roll back to earlier version tomorrow and see if I have better luck.

Additional observation: The UI corruption issue seems to not appear if the file is opened directly in DeNoise - only if I call it from Lightroom.

Hope this helps.

Yeah sorry if I wasn’t clear, but the fix post above was for the Photoshop settings issue. I do not know what is causing the GPU issue. We are getting an eGPU at the office at some point soon I think since they need one for Video Enhance AI tests, so I’m hoping I can reproduce it with that.

For now knowing that this only happens from LR is a good thing to know. Maybe I can narrow it down a bit from that. Is it possible that LR is using a lot of video memory and not leaving enough for DeNoise?

I really don’t know about the memory issue. I have 64GB Ram in the Mac mini, and the video card has quite a bit was well. Seems like there should be enough to go around, especially since it was working before.

I will try to roll back to 2.2.2 tomorrow, see what happens. If that does not work, I still have my older video card as well, and can see how that goes.

One other thing - Lightroom was running all day long, even when I opened files directly in DeNoise.

Please also give the links 2.2.2 for windows.

Thanks

This is a major bug in Denoise and the other Topaz Tools. I’ve stopped counting how often I already had to restore RAW files corrupted by this behavior. All other applications I know and use handle “open with” identically to use the open function within an application. It’s not intended to be used as some kind of Finder plugin. These have their own dedicated place within Finder’s context menu. Please fix this!

Please upload a RAW that has been corrupted to a file sharing site so it can be checked. As I cannot replicate this behaviour I can only surmise that you are talking about DNGs which possibly may be overwritten as it is an output format but that would become a Topaz DNG with the DeNoise settings applied.

I’m afraid that not having any other apps that operate in both Standalone & Plugin mode I cannot see what the behaviour is. Or just let us know what apps don’t exhibit this behaviour.

Sorry, I should have been more precise regarding the RAW file corruption. Yes, I was talking about DNG files created by Lightroom mobile. After saving in Denoise the original DNG file is overwritten with a much larger file. This file can’t be opened for example in DxO PhotoLab 3, Pixelmator, Preview. In FastRawViewer the file can be opened but has wrong colors applied. PhotoShop and GraphicConverter 11 open this file without a problem.
The standard behavior in macOS for Finder’s “Open With” menu item is to open the selected file as if it was opened within the selected application. The only application I know that works differently is Denoise (and probably other Topaz applications). This different behavior easily leads to overwritten original files.
Real Finder plugins are not located within Finder’s “Open With” menu, but on the main level of the context menu.
I’ve attached this screenshot of my Finder’s context menu. Marked red is the plugin section with Dropbox and Synology’s PhotoStation plugins installed.
Due to upload problems I’ve uploaded dng files and a screenshot to Finder’s Plugin area here: https://www.magentacloud.de/share/o090.kf942

As an example DxO PhotoLab 3 opens files via “Open With” and integrates into Lightroom. But I have to admit that I haven’t analyzed how how exactly they realized this integration.

So the expected behavior is that “Open With” should exactly work like choosing Open within Denoise or Dragging and Dropping a file onto it i. e. do not try to overwrite the file and offer a Save dialogue. Only if Denoise is used as Plugin in an Application like Lightroom use the plugin mode and replace the file.

When you try the button that adam metioned, it do the work as you said, just not that efficient as a shortcut.

I’ll try to set some time aside to take a closer look at this problem. I’m aware of how to fix it on Windows, but I am not familiar with how to accomplish this on Mac. As a temporary measure 2.2.4 visually changes the save button to be Apply and Cancel when opened in external editor mode, so hopefully it should be more clear that you’re not in the right state.

I disabled eGPU within Mac OS and it seems to be working now. Rolling back to 2.2.2 did not help, nor did disabling eGPU in DeNoise and Lightroom.

This setup (eGPU) worked fine on my 2017 MacBook Pro, with Lightroom and DeNoise. Moving to my new 2020 Mac mini last week appears to be what caused the problem.

Currently running Catalina 10.15.6

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

New members usually must make ten text posts before they are allowed to post an image. I downloaded your original image and it doesn’t seem to have any noise but does have some Jpeg artifacts. I ran it through Gigapixel AI with a 1.00 scale (no upscaling) and then it looks pretty good. Gigapixel will remove artifacts in many cases. I posted a 200% crop below, it does show pixels.

1 Like

Hi,

I would be very happy if you could post the time that AI Denoise need to denoise an image. (Uncluding name of GPU & CPU and pixel dimensions)

In the linked thread.

https://community.topazlabs.com/t/benchmark-denoise-ai/15772/2

Thx

@adam.mains
I convert my raw files (Panasonic RW2) to DNG, but I also keep an archive of the originals just in case. I just went to browse them and initially they all showed up as Denoise AI icons - only briefly though, as they quickly changed to the expected thumbnail view. Double-clicking on one did indeed open Denoise AI, in plug-in mode. It’s no biggie to fix, but I seem to remember another post about this fairly recently which might indicate something strange is going on.

Maybe you should provide the image so that all people you ask are on the same footing and give you a fair comparison :slightly_smiling_face:

today I loaded the newest version. All things working fine. BUT: ist the worst sharpening effect I´ve ever get since DeNoiseAI. Some areas a lot of sharpening, some no sharpening. Sharpening looks like much to much structure. I use it a lot for Squirrels taken with Lumix G9 and Leica 200mm f2.8. I´m very unlucky with the bad results. :face_with_head_bandage:
I don´t use all these features like selectively mask/sharpen and the batch things. With every update, the mainly things are getting worst. Too bad

1 Like

Might as well note that the UI corruption is occurring in Sharpen as well…

Will learn more as time goes by, but it looks like the only way to get these DeNoise and Sharpen to work for me is to disable eGPU at Mac OS level.

:frowning_face: