DeNoise AI 2.2.12

Oh well, just installed DeNoise AI 2.2.3 and it brings more bugs. I try to sort it out:

1. for clarification: mostly my workflow uses LR to use “show in finder” for raw files. Then in finder I open this raw file with “open with” (Topaz recommends to use the raw file and as early as possible just to remember!). I make my settings and hit “save image”. The image is processed for some minutes and after finishing DeNoise quits (Sharpen AI not btw.). No file has been saved. You won’t find a menu item “save as” at all. So what? Why not ask if I want to save the file as, like it is done when you open the raw file from within DeNoise? (BTW don’t try this with an original image which’s file type is supported!).

2. Unknown Error comes up if you try to generally open any DNG file (i.e. HDR files generated by LR).

3. Please see the two examples below. Guess which one is the original and which one is processed by DeNoise 2.2.3? The DeNoise is done with auto setting and recover detail (20%) and 0,1 Color Noise Reduction. It looks really ugly with the heavy green and red artefacts. (I also used brighten which seems to be saved as well).

4. It would be great if the preferences won’t get reset to default after each update.

Switch to use Edit in… from LR, using Open with from the finder or explorer in Windows opens in plugin mode where Save as is not available. It is recommend to generate a uncompressed TIF with no Sharpening or Noise Reduction applied in LR.

HDR files generated by LR are not supported as it, again, is a ‘proprietary DNG’ that uses 16-bit floating point rather than the DNG specification which specifies 16-bit fixed.

When you brighten in DeNoise it just affects the Luminance for display and is does not affect the output. The image is certainly not right, can you specify the actual image passed to or opened by DeNoise (RAW & Camera or TIF/JPG/PNG and ICC Profile) and, if not a RAW file, check that the output ICC profile is the same as the input.

1 Like

2.2.3 was released yesterday and I believe should solve this issue. I specifically removed auto mode from setting recover detail, so that should no longer happen. Please try it out if you have a chance.

2 Likes

I recommend you do not do this. In order for our apps to support Lightroom we have to take specific command line arguments that cannot be changed in Lightroom. These arguments are identical to what happens when you use “Open with”, which means the app will open in external editor mode. In this mode, all changes will be save to and overwrite the file you opened. If you want to use LR in your flow, please use edit in like AiDon mentioned, or open the app as a standalone and then import images if you want to save them out separately.

Would you mind uploading a DNG that does this? I don’t recall seeing this. You can upload an image here: Submit files

This does look like a strange model issue. @MyunghoonTL do you think something is wrong with the model if it’s doing this? Looks like the same issue we had with some other models before.

On a separate note, I do not think brighten is saved but I can’t say I’ve tested that. I’ll take a look. It certainly shouldn’t be.

Nothing should be getting reset after an update settings wise. What settings are you seeing change?

Please see the two examples below. Guess which one is the original and which one is processed by DeNoise 2.2.3? The DeNoise is done with auto setting and recover detail (20%) and 0,1 Color Noise Reduction. It looks really ugly with the heavy green and red artefacts. (I also used brighten which seems to be saved as well).

Hello @ruediger.knuth
It would be very helpful if can you send us a log file (-Main.tzlog) and a screenshot in your preference panel when you got this output. Thank you!

Best,
Myunghoon

Hi Adam, the HDR images produced by PS or LR are modified DNG’s where they use 16-bit floating-point for the values rather than 16-bit fixed. i am not sure if there are other apps that will edit the HDR DNGs unless they are converted to 32-bit TIF images, but therein lies another problem with the profile as there is none.

Years ago, I think 2017, we asked the question of Eric Chan and the answer was export from LR as a 16-bit TIF image to get a editable image as the DNG 16 bit Float format file can only be edited in LR or ACR with no capability to export as a 32 bit HDR file.

There is an article you can read here:

https://protogtech.com/adobe-lightroom/adobe-dng-hdr-format/

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback AiDon.

1. I do it also, each to it’s time. The problem with edit in is, that I only can open it with a copy including LR changes.

2. Funny, I wasn’t aware of it. So adobe breaking it’s own specification…

3. That’s a Nikon NEF from D850 (ISO100). That’s what I thought, it’s just for better viewing but It definately saved the the brightened image. You can also see it according to the LR values. It became around 2-3 EV brighter and quality looks very strange. I did the DNG straight from the NEF as standalone. In LR both have the same develop settings.

Thanks AiDon. That’s why I say I try to avoid DNG. It should be an open image type but adobe always tries to keep things proprietary and it has it’s limitations. As tiff you can’t edit the full range as in RAW (white balance for ex.).

1 Like

With the release of v2.2.3, I am no longer having an issue with Low Light Mode. I have tried it on a few photos and it all seems to be working. However, I seem to get a better result using DeNoise AI as a standalone and working with the original DNG than I do sending a TIFF or JPG copy, with minimal editing, from On1 Photo Raw. In order to obtain something approaching true black, I do need to use On1’s Colour Enhancer to reduce saturation in the magenta and purple channels.

Now and then, in the past, i did also see some of those (i would call it) “Color Orbs”.

Its like an overreaction.

Hi, copy @adam.mains

I believe this is an issue with the DNG & Profile written from DeNoise and other Topaz apps, long ago I stopped using DNGs as the output was inconsistent. In this case you can see a D850/ISO250 image as the input to DeNoise where brightness is set to ON, and the second image is the TIF output but no brightness:

Output TIF, 16bit, no compressions, ProPhotoRGB

My advice is do not use DNG output because it is, I believe, exactly the same as TIF except in a wrapper with a profile that doesn’t work everywhere else.

And I you want to check the sizes … the DNG is way bigger than a DNG generated from the original and is exactly the same size as a TIF.

Thank you SO much for this. It will save me a lot of time. I do think the behavior may be confusing to users, however. I am still able to specify a different Recovery value for each image in a batch but, when I press the Save All button, the value for all images reverts the last value set.

I’d like to post a screenshot, but get the message “Sorry, you can’t put an image in a post”

This may be a new bug, I’m taking a look at it now. It looks like recover detail is set differently than the other sliders and isn’t saving correctly in my tests. This should be fixed in 2.2.4 which I’ll try to get out as soon as I can. I’ll make sure to test saving multiple different recover details in batch mode.

Awesome. Thanks.

Having a real issue with DeNoise 2.2.3. Just upgraded from 2.2.2. Not really sure where to start. The only thing I can say for sure is that it is not crashing.

What happens would be better described in a screenshot, but also getting an error when I try to upload the pic.

Any help appreciated.

Clarification: The uploading error is thrown by the forum website.

You can upload a screenshot here and I’ll take a look at it: Submit files

Done, Thanks.

@adam.mains – I sent a note into Support, but will mention here as well: 2.2.3 broke one behavior that was working previously. The first entry in Photoshop’s Filter menu is the last filter used. And if invoked, its supposed to reapply the filter using the last settings. Its very useful when processing multiple images.

That stopped working in 2.2.3. It opens DeNoise with the defaults, rather than the last settings. Hopefully this can be re-fixed in 2.2.4.

I was about to build 2.2.4, but I’ll take a look at this real fast. I don’t believe anything should have changed but I’ve been wrong before.

That looks like a graphics issue. I think I’ve seen this when people use an external GPU as their renderer. If you are doing this, try reverting to the integrated GPU or some other graphics display. Without knowing your setup there’s not much else I can try to recommend.