DeNoise 3.0

“What is particularly noticeable are of course the colors, where Denoise has problems, and details like fonts.”

Yes, I think most Topaz models try to invent details while some other AI programs like DXO tries to not invent just clean up. The workaround would be to use two models from de noise and than layer the results and mask it out in Photoshop.

For example using Low Light mode for everything not with fine details like text in the image. And than AI clear mode for the parts the Low Light destroyed. By combining the two, its possible to get quite good results even in challenging situations. The biggest problem I think with Topaz De noise algorithms is the high degree of color noise when you push camera sensors to the max. Than Topaz leaves ugly blotches of color everywhere and moving color noise slider only destaurates colors in the image, indiscriminately. This is something DXO does far better job off. Even Photoshop workflow with Topaz is not as good. Hopefully Topaz will fix that in the upcoming updates. its been around for last two versions.

P.S.

Topaz Sharpen and DXO allow adding back some texture by introducing Film Grain. Useful at times, and it would be welcome addition to Topaz Denoise as well to cut down on the number of applications one must use.

3 Likes

I ran my quick comparison only because CR3 readability was recently added. I agree with itunes663 “In other words its the combination or tools and workflow that produces best results.” From my Canon 90D every CR3 file must be edited. But it helps to start with a good conversion to TIF. For example, the latest Digital Photo Professional made a big improvement over the version only two sub versions ago.

+1, Exactly :+1:

1 Like

I fully agree!

2 Likes

I’m not at all happy with the latest Denoise AI engine - for me, V2 worked a lot better.

How can I downgrade to the latest V2 version?

You can find 2.4.2 here:

and 2.3.6 here:

You could also try 3.0.2. I find the LowLight-Model in 3.0.2 very good in comparison to 3.0.3.

1 Like

Many thanks, Fraenzken!

I don’t think going back to 3.0.2 will solve my current dissatisfaction. As I mentioned before, for my application (bird images) Clear AI provides better results then Denoise AI. Plus, in V2 I was able to create a composite image consisting of a Denoise/Sharpen-ed layer with a crisp subject, and a layer using a 70-100 Remove Noise setting to blur out the background. Such as this example. This does not work in V3 anymore, because highler levels of the Remove Noise slider have a lot less effect.

Overall, I don’t think V3 was a step in the right direction if it comes to IQ. DxO Deep Prime provides really great results as a Denoise competitor. If Topaz will not be able to catch-up I will not probably not buy another year of updates.

3 Likes

Hi adam.mains,
I likewise tested and compared Deep Prime and DeNoise 3.0.3 thoroughly and concluded that Deep Prime does provide sharper and more convincing detail, perhaps Deep Prime does this by taking valuable parameters from the camera data and working with the AI model, but it also has the obvious disadvantage that if it is not the camera’s RAW photos, it won’t work. This is where DeNoise has the advantage that it works even when processing a low quality web image. My suggestion for future versions would be to add a more sophisticated standalone AI model to determine the state of the image, such as compression rate / from camera or phone / people, architecture, plants, paintings or landscapes / presence of faces, limbs, hair, etc. This predetermination would provide more precise and targeted adjustments, and could also be used for other Topaz AI products

2 Likes

Output Capture One - Canon, ISO 125, 1DX (2012)

Denoise AI 3.0.3 - Low Light - Auto - 1 / 44.

Apart from the fact that DxO Photo 4 tells me how to process an image, because everything except the local corrections is done using sliders (and sliders are nothing more than mathematical defaults), the results are comparably good.

I used Clear (high), which suited the image best.

EOS R5, ISO 1250.

Denoise AI 3.0.3 (AI Clear) → Photoshop

DxO Deep Prime & its Processing

AI Clear (High) & Photoshop (Quick edit)

DxO

AI Clear & Photoshop

Original

2 Likes

Version 2.4.2 working great now.

Absolutely agree. V3 has (slightly) better usability and is faster, but in terms of IQ imho is a big step back.

Clear AI mode delivers better results than Denoise for almost any image I process, so what is the purpose of Denoise mode?

Denoise v2 was great at sharpening. v3 is not. Now I need to run Sharpen AI in addition, or use Clear AI mode.

Denoise v2 was also great at blurring backgrounds when running at high noise removal levels of 70-100. I used this to blend different edits in Denoise/Sharpen to produce an image with crisp subject and super creamy backdrop. v3 doesn’t have this ability anymore.

I’d wish Topaz would combine the great IQ of v2 with usabily of V3 as a new basis to add future features.

DxO delivers really appealing results. They can’t compete with Sharpen motion blur results, but at this point clearly outperform Denoise.

1 Like

I cannot comment on Denoise, but LowLight 3.0.2 delivers much better results imho than LowLight 2.4.2/3.0.3. As long as there is not too much colour noise, I even prefer its results to DxO’s.

For me the biggest concern is that 3.0.2. / 3.0.3. crashes randomly on my M1 Pro 8Gb when processing more images. Sometimes it just quits after 5 images, sometimes after 10 or so.

Raise a support request at the main website and include the logs. Logs can be found via the Help menu in DeNoise.

I’m having the same issue on MacOS Catalina, Intel i7 . 3.0.3 is very unstable compared to previous V2 releases.

I have downloaded trial version and application is failing to launch it looks like it was trying to open then fails to open application. I have Windows 10 operating system on my PC I have updated pc still not functioning. Any ideas ? Thanks

3.0.3 Always gives me this erroron DeNoise AI
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bcx24DyIxwKK06obmcjGpnHK6WS1ob5x/view?usp=sharing
And picrute is 3840x1600

Also all of your softwares goes Under the TaskBar if Taskbar is on Top of the Screen.
This happens when window takes 90% of desktop space

What GPU do you have and are the drivers the latest from the manufacturers website, i.e. Intel, AMD, NVIDIA not Windows Update or the PC manufacturer.

I repeat a post from March 30th (“jamie.lenh”):

“I can no longer scroll my mouse to adjust ‘Remove Noise’ and ‘Enhance Sharpness’. Instead, I have to drag my pointer to adjust them.”

It is actually a step backwards that you can no longer adjust the values in the control panel with the mouse wheel. Is there a solution in sight?