Deinterlace a DVD lossy using QTGMC hybrid?

HI
Im trying to deinterlace a DVD lossy using QTGMC hybrid.
Could someone explain what are the best settings.
Im trying to preserve as much quality as possible.
I hope to upscale it and transfer to blu-ray
Is the quality better from doubled framerate or not?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Simply set the preset to PLACEBO and if you want, you can double the framerate!

Thank you!
What happenes if I dont double the framerate? Do I lose image quality?
I’m transfering old Anime to Blu-ray once upscaled. Its easier if I keep the original framrate but I want the best quality possible.

What is PLACEBO? I know its the slowest processing therefore produces the best quality but is that all it does? Please could you explain a few of the other settings. I’ve had a few snarky reponces on other forums. They expect me to know, while forgetting we all had to start somewhere.

Bitrate info would help alot. I want to minimize loss of quality

Thank again for the kind reponce

Anyone else with advice?
I’m new at this. Any extra advice would be a big help.
Thank you

Any chance you’d be able to use ffmpeg instead?
Pretty much every video I own that comes from a DVD has to be ran through ffmpeg before I can get it to output correctly in VEAI.
If you’re interested I can post some sample commands and explanations that should get you started.

PLACEBO is the preset for QTGMC into the Hybrid GUI… just go into “Filtering” tab - (De) Interlace - Auto Deinterlace Handling: QTGMC (Vapoursynth) - and preset PLACEBO… stop!

I have been using this software for several months to upscale DVD input. I don’t claim to be an “expert” by any means but this is my procedure:
Rip DVD via MakeMKV to a MKV file
Run MKV file thru Handbrake to result in a decombed MKV file. I use constant quality 12.5 setting, YMMV. I learned this trick via another forum…otherwise your VEAI output may be “jerky” or appear to drop frames. I think this does the same thing as running thru ffmpeg.
Run resultant MKV file thru VEAI. I use Artemis Medium Quality and upscale to 200%. With this setup, I can get a 50 minute video file done in about 2 hours or so. Meaning I can get about 4 files done in a day. I have found that upscaling to 1080p will require about 6 hours’ worth of processing. The upscale to 200% is somewhere between HD and Full HD and is “good enough” for the files to be played via Plex (on an Amazon Fire box) and upscaled to 4K. The result is “HD quality” IMO on a 70” 4K TV and considering the source, it is, in many cases, a miraculous improvement on the DVD.
I have not done any animation. All the work I’ve done is with “live action.” I have found that animated stuff tends to produce some weird artifacts with “standard” upscaling (via a UHD BR player). In my “to do” list is to upscale Futurama and Duckman and see what can be done with those. It’s a tough call because in my experience, animation doesn’t really seem to improve that much from DVD to Full HD quality. But it might be worth it to remove the artifacts.
Best wishes!

Thank you for the kind helpful replys.
Sorry it took so long to get back but I have an ongoing health issuse.

So, now that we have newer versions of Topaz Video AI since this topic was first raised, what are everyone’s thoughts on using Hybrid to deinterlace today compared to the results from Topaz?
Also, if anyone is still using both programs AS WELL AS doubling the frame rate with Frame Interpolation (which is what I prefer to do), what is your routine?

I found those methods still yield better overall output when your final goal is upscale.

For me (my videos), this one provides the best overall quality

the problem is not that TVAI de-interlace good/bad, they use ffmpeg Bwdif which is reasonable de-interlacing method all most in par with “Decomb” (i did an extensive de-interlacing compare between few types of de-interlacing methods on few SD vids, few days ago, was interesting finding) , but for some reason their de-int + upscale is not the greatest combination in one pass.

I think @ForSerious found that those settings (posted below) are best for him, you might also want to give it a shot.
I am still testing his settings prior to upscaling compared to mines to see who generates the best quality at the end of the upscale for my use cases.

The default preset is “Slower” . Don’t be obsessed with using the slowest settings, the differences can be very small for a huge increase in time. In particular HD material benefits less from extreme settings. HD is 6-8 times as slow as SD.
Quote / Reference:
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/QTGMC

1 Like