Chronos - Scene change detection

Chronos should be able to detect scene changes and not try to interpolate them, it often leads to weird results if Chronos trys to interpolate between two frames that have no features in common.

You would think this would be simple to fix. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t VEAI already use an algorithm to detect scene changes in the upscaling models?

Currently Chronos only works semi-properly at 2x, 4x, 8x frame rate increases. By “semi-properly” it replaces a frame with a blended frame at every scene change. This is not typically visible at 48 or more FPS.

FPS changes that are not 2x, 4x, 8x are completely broken. Many extra frames are inserted and interpolation fails for every frame I checked- every interpolated frame is a blend. This happens when changing from 23.976, 24, or 25 to 50 or 60FPS.

Changing from 23.976 to 25 FPS seems to be ok though. No blended or extra frames.

On Apollo it would lead to even more erroneous results. I’m surprised so few people talk about transition detection, but it’s important for proper interpolation, specifying the boundaries of interpolation without human intervention.

I’m surprised this is still an issue - I believe other free programs have this capability, you’d think a premium piece of software would cover this use case.

1 Like

:sob::sob::sob::sob::sob: