Black box in encoded video

1. Black box in encoded video
  2. AMD 5900X, RTX3070, 32GB RAM

Proteus Fine Tuning Auto
ffmpeg “-hide_banner” “-nostdin” “-y” “-nostats” “-i” “D:/XXX.mkv” “-sws_flags” “spline+accurate_rnd+full_chroma_int” “-color_trc” “2” “-colorspace” “2” “-color_primaries” “2” “-filter_complex” “tvai_up=model=prob-3:scale=0:w=3840:h=2160:preblur=0:noise=0:details=0:halo=0:blur=0:compression=0:estimate=20:device=-2:vram=1:instances=0,scale=w=3840:h=2160:flags=lanczos:threads=0” “-c:v” “hevc_nvenc” “-profile:v” “main” “-preset” “medium” “-pix_fmt” “yuv420p” “-b_ref_mode” “disabled” “-tag:v” “hvc1” “-b:v” “0” “-map_metadata” “0” “-movflags” "frag_keyframe+empty_moov+delay_moov+use_metadata_tags+write_colr " “-map_metadata:s:v” “0:s:v” “-an” “-metadata” “videoai=Enhanced using prob-3 auto with recover details at 0, dehalo at 0, reduce noise at 0, sharpen at 0, revert compression at 0, and anti-alias/deblur at 0. Changed resolution to 3840x2160” “D:/XXX_prob3_temp.mkv”

I have an AMD 7900X and an RX 6900 XT. I was getting this exact thing in 3.1.11 on any model at 1920 by 1080 PNG output. Usually it would start like that, and proceed to fill the entire movie with blackness eventually.

It will still do it if I process two videos at a time. Glad to hear I’m not the only one with this issue.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
Of about 8 enhanced videos I did so far, this was the first one with the defect. The black box appeared in the last 25% of the encoded video. I never do more than 1 job at a time.
Here is screenshots frame by frame for illustration:
def1
def2
def3

Hello and thank you for sharing the images of this issue,

Our dev team has been made aware of this bug and we are working to reproduce the issue and find a solution.

Thank you.

that is quite an old issue that appeared first a year ago or so also on nvidia cards (rtx 2070 super).

Was this issue ever resolved? I’m consistently having black boxes show up in processed videos when I use my desktop PC (AMD Ryzen 9 5900X and EVGA Nvidia 3090 FTW3).

FYI - the GPU is water cooled and overclocked. Using version 4.0.9.

I as far as I know it was never solved completely. I personally think it might be a stability issue with the GPU memory. Could be worth a try to clock down the GPU memory via MSI Afterburner. :eyes:

1 Like

This isn’t any problem with GPU memory as it occurs when encoding on CPU ONLY.

That is strange indeed. Have you checked your regular memory?

I replaced the AMD RX 6900 XT with an Nvidia RTX 4070 ti and have not had this problem since.

I at least have one computer that works, an Alienware Area 51-m laptop (Intel i9-9900K and Nivdia RTX 2080) but would be nice to resolve the issue and leverage the faster computer for processing.

However, replacing the Nividia 3090 with a new card is not in the current budget… might be able to borrow an old graphics card and do a swap to test out if changing GPU fixes the issue. :thinking:

Does the 3090 have the issue when it’s not overclocked?

Last night I tried setting to default values and also underclocking it (Using EVGA Precision X1). Still had black boxes appear either way.

That’s a real shame because, at least with my RX 6900 XT, it really seemed like it was the card with the issue. Not TVAI.
Everything else I tried to do with it, it was fine. Except the mouse cursor would glitch every time I moved it over the task bar in Windows. It would show a square around it with old pixels from before it crossed over. Just for a split second.
I tried running OCCT to see if it would tell me anything. It did say I was getting thousands of memory errors. But other runs of it, would randomly say there were none. That was a super old version of it. I think I tried a newer version and it didn’t have the memory error reporting feature. But yeah, every game I tried ran perfectly. It was just TVAI that wouldn’t work.
I tried my RTX 3080 ti in that machine. It worked correctly.

i´ve just ran into this…made 2 encodes (128gbram@5900x+3080), one with proteus, one with artemis. the artemis one suddenly got 1 small black box, then the box got twice the size within a few frames and stayed till the end. spooky.

I saw that often with my RTX 2070 Super. The reason for the appearance of the black boxes remained unknown.

just ended an 18 hour encode just to get this… proteus this time…

makes me sick to my stomache.

what am i even supposed to do at this point?

i stress-tested my cpu, my ram, my gpu…all works fine… and i still can´t get a hint why the output is trashed.

I feel your pain. From my testing it has nothing to do with PC or GPU memory or overheating. As I was getting these errors even on 20s second sample video. So it has always appeared in the same part of video, same frames etc. So am not an expert, but I would say it is the Ai model to blame for this error.

last time it was artemis, now it was proteus… so it´s probably not the particular model?

i can consider myself lucky i already switched to image sequence outputs due to tvai`s instability issues, and to command prompt execution because tvai nukes any output if there´s any error during the process.
i think all i have to do now is to manually delete everything from the broken frame to the last image and then resume another process at that exact frame number… getting it done piece by piece… determination is everything ^^

all i can tell is that with a different graphics card that issue is gone. but the new one has its own issues …