Apple Silicon M1/M2 (Pro, Max, Ultra) VideoAI Performance — Neural Engine or GPU?

Not in a rush. I was fine with the 8 FPS, just wanted to understand more. Perhaps it’s just software optimization in the end. Thanks for the suggestions.

It’s always been software optimization. Taking advantage of multiple cpu/gpu cores is not that simple. I hope they squeeze out everything AS has to offer.

Hmm., with NVidia scaling seems to be well with multiple cores - but then the whole software seems to be best optimised for NV at the moment.

P.S: They had a big speed gain on Apple silicone with the 3.4.0.0.a for SD / generally 2x upscales with Iris - but that’s also diminished by following releases again.

Since there also is a big bug in Iris with Sonoma atm maybe things get better in the future - we‘ll see.

Changing RAM to 10% / minimum can make a huge difference with many GPU Cores - so you’ll have to try that again on the Mac Studio

Thats because Nvidia did invest since 2016 into AI and is the marketleader.

Their GPUs are build all around AI.

And, of course, because they currently have the highest raw processing power.

The above statement wasn’t meant as an accusation / complaint, just reporting the current state (as I believe it is).

Mac Studio arrived today with the 12 CPU core 30 GPU core M2 Max. 100% memory 704x576p to 1440x1080p with the same settings as before = 13 FPS. Limited memory to 10% GPU activity peaked and 22 FPS.

Happy overall with the improvement over M1 8 FPS. Now, if somebody could explain why limiting the memory has such a counter effect?

1 Like

The reply from Topaz in my topic below gives some explanation. I’m glad to hear the 10% trick works so well on your Mac Studio M2.

Thanks.

Andy

1 Like