Allow users to select different models for different scenes

For some videos, it’s only the action that needs slow motion. I think that being able to select a certain part of a video to apply slow motion would be a great improvement.

I don’t understand the ask. You want to make one part of the image slow while another part plays back realtime? Or you want to slow down a certain frame range and leave the rest unaffected?

Confining slow motion to select objects in the scene would be insanely difficult (it would have to track everything in the scene and fill in a lot of detail whenever things crossed). Limiting slow motion to a certain time range is something you can already do if you have editing software. Either run the whole source video and then retime the output in editing, or trim the source down to just the part you want in topaz and edit it back into the original.

My idea was to:

I guess those suggestions are both an option, but they both require going back and forth to a third-party app which takes quite a bit of time for just slowing down certain frames and having the rest the normal frame rate.

I was thinking of something like the trim option, but only for selecting a certain part of a video for applying slow motion.

So you want it to work like what a lot of phones do in slow motion mode - plays normally, plays slow for a certain portion, plays normally again. Possibly with a speed ramp transitioning between the two. Sound right?

2 Likes

yes I think he meant that, slow down just one part of a video, many smartphones do it but not as well as appolo :slight_smile: it wouldn’t be bad, and with a customizable speed it would be better.

1 Like

Yes - that’s what I meant. :slightly_smiling_face:

They’re also usually shooting higher frame rates to accomplish the slow motion, so the extra frames are sourced completely differently. I meant it solely from the UI side for comparison.

1 Like

It would be amazing to add this feature.
Right now to get those results, it looks something like:
Cut the video into three clips.
Run interpolation on the clips that needs slowed down.
Use an external audio editor to slow the audio down. (If you like that sort of thing.)
Use another video editing tool to join all the clips back together.

That’s a lot of work.

If I remember right, there was an idea topic about running different AI models on different sections of the same video. This would fit well with that idea.

That was actually going to be in my next topic!
I had tried to look and see if that had been in a topic before, but I couldn’t find anything similar.
But now that I look into it a bit more, I found this topic from July 19th this year that might be the one you were thinking of.

It looks like that topic is closed, so now I don’t know whether or not to make a new topic about the same thing. :thinking:

I’m surprised to see that it didn’t have any votes or replies other than @tony.topazlabs redirecting his post from the General section to Ideas.

1 Like

Though not talking about slow motion, I explain a work flow that would accommodate this ability in the main TVAI 4 topic.
I’m not going to copy paste it here, so there’s the link.

Running more than one model with a single process, selecting frames, and assigning different models to each frame or set of frames

The AI should be allowed to help the user to automatically identify and cut the video into different scene, and let the user choose the appropriate ai model in the different scene

1 Like

These ideas overlap nicely.

what I do in some cases is making two complete enhance run with different settings/models, then I Import both file in my Video cutter program. Depends on scenes I took upper or lower video track or you can play with opacity for video segments to get a mix of both.

1 Like

This may be what I’m thinking. I want to assign different filters to different sets of in & out points.

USE CASE: VHS video. IrisHQ is perfect for close-ups, but disastrous for mid-shots. I want to use Artemis in mid-shots on same video.

I believe there are two more idea topics that boil down to this idea. This is put more concisely.

I tend to cut movies into different scenes using Premiere Pro and process them independently, and then reassemble them in Premiere Pro. That also gives me the option of color correcting and enhancing audio (Premiere Pro Beta) before I process the movies in TVAI, or post process in Premiere Pro. It’s a lot more work, but I’ve found it’s the only way to get around using a single filter, which is most likely not one-size fits all, in TVAI.

Changing the speed of a video also changes the sound. Unless you’re ok with your sound changing, that means the app needs code to adjust the audio pitch in sync with the video.

Best process: use frame interpolation to increase framerate, then export the scene to a video editor that has speed ramping with the option to maintain audio pitch. Another function available in freeware that doesn’t need to be added to TVAI.

I figure if you want to change the speed of the clip, you already have a plan of what to do with the audio outside of TVAI.
It would be fine if TVAI just keeps the audio the same or removes it. I’ve never bothered to look what it does with audio now if you run a slow motion model on it. In VEAI 2.6.4 it would remove the audio.

That’s what I’ve done the few times I’ve used slow motion: use the slo-mo over the main video, keeping the original sound. But selecting one portion of a longer video and changing its speed is something someone would want to do while processing the entire video, and then what would they do about the sound?