VideoAI does not remove the temp qt_temp files in AppData\Local\Temp

Hello Topaz team,

I found 2 issues related with the topic “VideoAI does not remove the temp qt_temp files in AppData\Local\Temp”. And I would like to suggest a solution for it.

After run a bunch of tests yesterday I noticed that something was eating my HD, so I found that your software was leaving tons of files in the appdata temp folder (more than 14GB in a day).

So the issues with that are:

1. They using execively ammount of space;
  2. The files aren’t named or located to be easly identify and removed by the common user. Neither organized in separated folder inside the temp.
  3. You are using the OS HD assuming that this is the fastest driver available. In my case, it is not, so even if I had a fast CPU (the v3.1.11 still cpu bound, dunno why) and a monster GPU, this cfg will bottleneck not only the system, but your software performance.

So my suggestion is to add in the settings a way to the user select the proper folder to be used as temp repository. Then I can select a hard drive that have all: tons of space, speed, and a folder that I can easly spot and delete the extra files when, for some reason, the software fail to do so.

Thanks.

Steps to reproduce issue:

1. Step 1 - run your video ai software with any preview or export
  2. Step 2 - check AppData\Local\Temp look for qt_temp files
  3. Step 3 - Select all and check how much space is unavailable because of that.
  4. Step 4 - Scream. lol.

Topaz Photo AI [v3.1.11] on [Windows]

2 Likes

I’ve been using TVAI for a year now (VEAI and then TVAI). I should have a lot of those files built up. I’ve been running it on two computers. I just checked both computers. ~6MB total used up per computer per version of TVAI.

There must be something specific you are doing that creates those large files that I, somehow, am not.
If it help: I only upscale to FHD. I only output to PNG. I mostly use the CLI, but I’ve been using the GUI a lot lately to try and figure out some issues with the second computer.

Oh the version is right to be Topaz Video AI, but Photo AI could be at the same version. I don’t own that to know. Anyway, I’ll leave my post in case you did mean Video instead of Photo.

I don’t know what could be, I bought the TVAI to attempt so solve a video problem, and it managed to recover a specific and important part of the video, but failed flawlessly in the other parts (where there are hands, legs walking people in general). So I’m running and re-running previews and exports to test how each part behave and how to reach the best result.
So atm, I just create a hypotesis to my process, then test, I started with the upscaled and compressed version of the video to 4k (not done in TVAI). Then I decided to test the original 1080 version to see if get any better, so far not, it gets worse.

Few of the tests I did:

• Reduce the fps to 10 then apply the settings in TVAI to fill the gaps (interesting results, bu it can’t handle when there is motion);
  • Apply processes one by one (like get part of/or one AI) export, then re add and re apply or add other AI;
  • And just after this post I upscale the 1080p to 8k, then was applying stabilization while descaling, the the OS frozen because the software was outputing tons of files with 48mb.

In every interaction, the test ouput was 264 mp4 (nvidia (except in 8k)) and the original screen size.

I check the logs, for some reason it can’t activate/use the cudas, and the process uses more CPU, RAM and Disk, and basically ignore the RTX3090 (in which it barelly move). For this one I’ll try uninstall and reinstall.

And for the file size I’ll try change the temp folder destination via reg (just remember that this may be a possibility)

That is less than 2 min (before the OS freeze completely due to the drive of the system bottleneck the whole system) of the software attempt to downscale and stabilize an 8k video back to 1080p.

It is too much in and out information for the drive, these temp files should never be placed in the same drive where the OS is.

I agree with that completely! Those should only be in the temp folder as specified in the preferences menu.

I’ve managed to get the ramping up moment where the system started to bottle neck

I found a solution that also works for other software that has the same pattern behaviour (fill massive files too quickly in the same disk where the OS is).

Step 1 - Go to the drive where you want to use as temp repository and create the temp folder there. In my case for example I use “T:>Temp”.
Step 2 - Com to windows file explorer (or my computer), find “This computer icon” (it should be under the desktop location) then right click in My Computer and click in proprieties.
Step 3 - In properties in your top right there is a list. Click in “Advanced System Configurations”.
Step 4 - A small window will open in the advanced tab, them click in “Environment Variables”.
Step 5 - An another small window will open, there you need to select, edit and redirect both “TEMP” and “TMP” to your new location (T:>Temp). Then just restart the aplication.

Note: this change will be for all aplications that use the temp folder as repository. Once they restart, they will fill the new directory, not the old one.

Before and after:

It may be an indication that 32GB in the system is not enough to proper work with TVAI, since it seems that after solving the HDD bottleneck the GPU usage basically doubled, but I’m not sure, cause in my mind if we go for cuda to process the image, it should be wize to use more of the VRAM instead of the RAM which my system is not doing, it is barely touching the GPU processor and VRAM.

In English it’s Environment Variables. I’m glad you were able to find this solution. I’ll use it too.

Thanks for the info. I edited the post with the correct keyword.

I hope that this solution could also improve your workflow and the stability of your system.

1 Like

two things escape me… I have never touched the temporary folders, here is a screen:

my ssd is at 0% max write speed that I reached: 25 MB/s
it’s not huge but I think it’s because of my gtx 1660 which must restrain me. but I don’t have any problems with temporary folders.
the second thing is that I understand that you have a hard time, your c: disk where there is windows, it’s a classic hdd, it’s normal that it saturates quickly… your system must be slow, right? why are you using your 1 tb ssd?

Yes the system is in the old HD. I finish this pc build last year, but didn’t have too much time to format and reinstall 1000s of softwares :rofl: that is why the SSD is there.
About the speed, the OS response is fine, just have a hardtime when windows decide to update, and now with AI the ammount of big files going in and out of the disk.

The 0% is a miss representation of this type of disk, in SSD you can verify if the disk is bottlenecking by the ammount of ms and mb/s. It seems in your case that its doing a good job and your gpu could output almost its maximum power. How it goes when you apply those filters in a 4k video?

okay, too bad for your system, the ssd can only be beneficial, haven’t you tried to clone the system? and copy it to ssd, it avoids having to reinstall everything :slight_smile: in upscale 720p > 4k it takes about 3 spf all the same… it’s quite slow, but hey, faster than the latest versions anyway.