Video Enhance v2.6.4

VideoINR’s setup is giving me issues due to compiler and pytorch errors on Windows with the latest MSVC + anaconda as suggested. I am going to downgrade my CUDA to 10.2 from 11.x and see if that works.

In the ‘Closed issues’ section on their Github page, someone was able to supposedly get it running in Google Colab, but you will need at least a T4/P100 GPU for decent speeds on larger videos I’d expect. If I can get it working, I’ll do a 4x upscale comparison between Big Buck Bunny 480p with VEAI

Great professional! Good Job

Avast, matey! False positive despite, it took AVAST 5 hours to decide VEAI was allegedly malware?? :stuck_out_tongue:

For some time now, Avast has been making of the shit. For my part, I had uninstalled it because it prevented the connection of my Wifi key or the file transfer between my tower and my laptop. Each time I had to put the block in question in the exclusions or disable the Avast firewall but it managed to bypass each time there was an update of Avast and I had to start again.
Since then, I use again the basic Windows anti-virus and Malwarebytes and it is good

Thought this might be interesting to some. I just built a third AMD Ryzen computer with some cheap used parts. I had to repair a single broken pin on the CPU which I have done many years ago. This new machine has a Ryzen 7 5700G APU with 16GB of the 32GB of ram dedicated to the Vega GPU section and I added my old 6GB GTX1660Super also.

The other machines are a Ryzen 9 3900x with a 8GB RTX-3060Ti and a Ryzen 5 5600x with a 12GB RTX-3060 non-TI.

Here are the numbers for a 480P-1080P upscale(225%) including the selection of ‘All’ with the 5700x/1660.

5700g-GTX1660Super
All-0.26sec/frame
GTX1660 Super-0.34sec/frame
5700G-Vega-0.40sec/frame
5700GCPU-1.92sec/frame

5600x-RTX-3060
RTX3060-0.12sec/frame
5600x-2.05sec/frame

3900x-RTX-3060Ti
RTX-3060Ti-0.11sec/frame
3900x-1.19sec/frame

I tried image sequence > video: the problem is that VEAI realizes video from images only with 30p frame rate. Nothing 25p or anything.

Having only a sequence of photo(grams) in input, why is there no option to choose the frequency for the video?

Obviously an original video at 25p if it is rebuilt by video> photo > video at 30p, increase the speed … :poop:

I’ve encountered that problem myself. My solution, as I recall, was to run the output video through VirtualDub, exporting to uncompressed AVI with the output framerate set to what it should be.

Anyone else having the program crash each time you try to import a video to process either through dragging it on to the interface or when using the browse/select file feature?

Error report is too long to post.

Have restarted and reinstalled and still getting the same error.

Seems to be some of my source files doing it. Oddly enough anything I imported today to my computer is having issues but older files are not. Will keep digging but still curious if anyone else has ever encountered this issue.

I had a similar issue with some uncompressed AVIs a while back. Stripping the audio out and just importing the video streams did the trick.

3 months no update… you guys serious?

2 Likes

there will be “certainly” (can’t tell this for sure at 100%) no more update to the 2.6.x branch.
the “guys” are working (seriously) as fast as possible on the 3.0 branch, to be able to make a release as soon as they can. it’s actually in alpha Testing / developpement.

the 2.6.4 is stable and work, so they put all their energy and time to make the new version of the software for lot of reasons they explained on this topic :
not sure it can be read by anybody here who doesn’t have a special access to the beta testing part of this forum :

https://community.topazlabs.com/t/veai-3-0-back-to-the-future/29931/13

4 Likes

could u pls help me, i wanna use Topaz to upscale anime videos for edits but when i finish rendering its just a black screen with the sound in the background sometimes. its not an issue of pc requirements since i use a rtx2060 and a i5. i dont know how to fix it and its been bothering me a lot. pls helps…

i just wanna export my video in mp4 but even pro res HQ dont work. only the picture ones, like PNG or JPEG.

can be anything.

if the problem is the source file, you can try to convert it again with an external encoder (sometimes anime have a weird format or use advanced one that few use).

if you “downloaded” it online , maybe your anime is coded with 10 or 12 bits and in mkv (because they mainly use .ass subtitile file, a more advanced subtile format than .srt).

just convert your anime video file in an another format, to a simple mp4 H264 8 bits file, and see if it’s work.

if the problem is audio, turn off the “keep audio” button in VEAI, or while re encoding the file outside of VEAI, don’t include the audio track in the new video, and see if it’s improve your situation or not.

Some of the main use cases for VEAI are upscaling, increasing frame rate, slow motion, fast motion etc.

One extra use case scenario I’ve thought of is using it to help me in converting SDR videos to HDR. Let’s say we have a video that’s 8 bit, on top of that it’s probably 4:2:0 and at best 4:2:2. If we try and just convert that to HDR using a video editor and/or color grading program such as Davinci Resolve, it won’t work super well. There’s just not enough data there to make it work, color starts breaking down real quick.

BUT, when you pass video through any kind of conversion process using VEAI, the AI is basically reimagining the video colors as well and can give you an uncompressed picture quality. With our current version (2.6.4) there’s only one way to get the processed video file in the necessary quality, which would be choosing uncompressed 16 bit TIFF files and then using your video editor of choice to render the video using the TIFF files as being equivalent to 1 frame each. Render it to Pro Res 4444 and there you go. That’s more than enough data to convert to HDR and go crazy color grading.

That method is workable but good God, would be really nice if the devs brought back Pro Res 4444 rendering as an option. Would save me (and anyone who wants uncompressed color) a lot of time and unnecessary work.

Overal, do you guys like and agree with the use case? Any flaws with my train of thought and the logic of the process I described?

1 Like

Im trying to do mp4 to mp4, so I’m confused why its acting up. the video renders fine and I see it through the side-by-side option whilst its processing but when its done when I watch it back its just black screen.
And i don’t wanna use photos that are separate since its really inconvenient. But it does work that way in affter effects, but its annoying. i just wanna render the video normally.

you didn’t told that in your previous message, everything is fine in VEAI, but your issue is when you watch the result under the desktop of your computer ? please, tell us, your system, the video player you use, what mediainfo tell about your source file and the destination file too.
does this issue happen with ALL the videos you put in VEAI or only “this one” ?

you can contact the support as well, to see what they have to tell, by analysing your log file.

did you uninstalled and reinstalled VEAI ? are you graphic cards drivers up to date ? which setting you have in preference ?

why you didn’t contacted the support ?

A little update to the GPU/CPU timings. Over Amazon Prime Day I picked up a cheap PowerColor Fighter RX 6600 card, well below MSRP. This is to replace the GTX1660Super. This uses less power, produces less heat and is much faster. Not as fast as the RTX 3060 but the price to speed is good enough. Here are the new numbers. Hopes this helps others trying to figure out what cards produce what speed for a given upscale.

Here are the numbers for a 480P-1080P upscale(225%) including the selection of ‘All’ with the 5700x/6600.

5700g-RX 6600
All-0.19sec/frame
RX 6600-0.16sec/frame
5700G-Vega-0.40sec/frame
5700GCPU-1.92sec/frame

So in this case the all case of the iGpu(Vega) and RX 6600 do not play well with each other. There is a drop in speed compared to the 6600 by itself.

I still think the RTX 3060 with 12Gb of VRam is the low end king when you consider the number of extra instances you can launch at the same time. But for the price this at this speed a great secondary computer card.

BasicVSR++ the best

Great!