Video Enhance v2.4.0

For Topaz to add h265 GPU encoding to VEAI Would simply require only one cost. The developers would need to integrate the free SDK (including the required APIs) into their program and provide it as an option. The codec is, of course, hard coded on the Nvidia/AMD card. If you own the card you own codec to use. Topaz does not have to provide a software codec. For those of you wanting to use the h264 software codec you are free to do so. Those of us, (I venture to say most on this board), have got a compatible video card.
There is only one person who is to judge the quality and usefulness of the finished video and that is you, the producer.

It would be nonsensical to add any kind of hardware encoding to VEAI. Hardware encoding is intended for live streaming.

You can definitely overcome that in Proteus by adjusting the sliders.

Iā€™d really like them to optimize VEAI to use ALL of my video card resources before they start implementing new featuresā€¦

2 Likes

Graphics processing is driven by input resolution. The higher the resolution the more processing power required. I currently have a RTX 3060 and as I step up in resolution from say 720p to 4k as an input file the graphics card has heavier use.

The best method for determining your graphics card usage maybe power consumption. As I step up in input resolution the power requirements for my card increases. With a 4k input file my card will be using 150- 170 watts. At 720p about 80-90 watts. If your using Microsoft Task Manager for GPU info make sure your looking at Graphics1 for usage.

Graphics1

Now if you have multiple files to process you can open multiple instances of VEAI. This will tax your system if you donā€™t have enough system resources so be careful. I work a bit with 540p files upscaling to 1080. I will run 2 instances of VEAI. I find for my system this is a very good use of time versus resources.

It is using all of your GPU.

VEAI only output a low AAC stereo downmix of the audio source of the video.

If itā€™s a video upscaler and audio has to be re-muxed then why do they have a poor quality ā€˜keep audioā€™ function?

1 Like

Is there a noticable difference between hardware/software H265 encoding?

Certainly for helping doing sync or providing a basic audio track for checking the final video.

1 Like

yes, Several Hours lol :rofl:

1 Like

As in quality!

While I have seen quality improvements in Nvidia between pascal to turing to now ampere I find software encoding H265 still gives a better result at a same bitrate or output file size. It is the reason I choose to have a Ryzen 9 3900x processor for software encoding at the time. There is no comparison for speed. hardware encoding can be blazing fast but 24 threads of CPU all encoding at once using FFMpeg is not that slow. Now ad extra Avisyth+ processes and even hard encoding can slow down.

1 Like

I remember that h.265 gives the same quality at half of the bitrate compared to h.264.

Typically yes but what Iā€™m comparing is CPU-software H265 encoding to NVenc hardware encoding.

The creators of h.265 want you to think that. In reality, you need about 3/4th the bitrate for quality equivalent to h.264. Not worth the increase in CPU to encode and decode IMO.

Yes that matches my experiencds with h.265 where I always thought the quality should be far better!

I downloaded and installed v2.4.0. However, after installation it refused to download models for preview. Even waiting an hour, the message just stayed on the screen about taking a minute or two. A check of network traffic showed no download in progress at all. Even downloading all the models (about 35 GB) I wanted didnā€™t get rid of the message. Re-installation did not work and resulted in the same message. I finally downgraded back to v2.3.0 and that works without any issues. I am running the latest studio drivers on an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super, Intel i5-10400F 2.90 GHz CPU.

1 Like

I should add that v2.4.0 installed and ran just fine on my notebook computer with an Intel i7 8th generation CPU and a GeForce GTX 1050Ti. So, itā€™s quite a puzzle to me why it wonā€™t run properly on my desktop.

Maybe anti-virus or firewall is blocking the download?? Did you install as Administrator?

Here is the test result conducted by MSU. :grinning:

av1-graph