Video Enhance v2.4.0

I don’t use compressed format if I want image sequence. I want as much detail as possible.

I use Media Encoder for encoding. It’s faster.

Try to compare BEFORE-AFTER using a TIFF frame sequence, and I believe you will have no problems, at least with Proteus.

Not all compression causes detail loss. Read about lossless png, it is the best option in many cases.

I’m not sure why you simultaneously talk about using media encoder and complain about media encoding being painful - Media encoder is a powerful tool and with a well planned workflow should not be painful.

1 Like

Png is lossless ! it’s like FLAC for Audio.

1 Like

I’m not sure if you understand what I said earlier. Likely you don’t. Let me say this it this way.
What I’m trying to avoid is 2 time compression. PNG is compressed, then being compressed again into a video. That’s a no-go for me. Period.
Secondly, why Media Encoder is good, but I said it was slow. Because the TIFF image sequence is heavy. And SSD hits the limit really fast, unless you use a NVMe. But for 1TB image sequence, I would go for a 8TB with the same price as 4TB NVMe. And SSDs last longer than NVMe. I used to run 8 instances in hurry, and even 4TB of NVMe is not enough. Not yet talking about M.2 slots on your motherboard. All about money here. Nothing weird or complicated to understand.

So why I said I chose MOV over image sequence? Editing and Encoding MOV files are easier and faster. The file size is acceptable. And “maybe” it’s 10bit 4:2:2 instead of 8bit RGB. I don’t choose MOV because of the size, I choose it for less complexity and higher quality than TIFF and PNG. Easier to understand now right?

Lorsque j’ai acheté ma tour, il y avait déjà le M2. J’ai encore 1 ou 2 slots de libre pour des disque 2.5.
Et dans mon lieu d’habitation, ma maison est suffisant bien isolé pour garder la fraicheur même en été.

Mais de toute façon, lorsque j’aurai un job (dans ma branche principale), je me rachèterai un plus gros SSD. Et le plus rapide aussi.

(C’est si bon de parler dans sa langue maternelle xd).
(It’s so good to speak in your mother tongue xd).

Oh yes, in 4K, the weight of the image sequence file swells very quickly. outch

I have noticed this phenomenon also on Proteus. Some colors are a bit diminished. And on a gray sky, it’s even a little bit brighter on exit. But it remains superficial. And it’s not always there. It’s at specific moments in the whole sequence.

1 Like

I just sent you a private message !

This has already been explained several times at length. You make a copy of the v1 .json templates and put v2 instead. Then you open the .json file and on the 3rd line you put “version 2” instead of “version 1”.

I thought the same as you at first, that this was exclusive to only GaiaHQ but - Starting this version, I suspect that all the models suffer from color shifting, black level and brightness problems.

To replicate this in v2.3.0, simplu edit the model’s .json files by replacing:

"keepColor": 1,

by:

"keepColor": 0,

It just so happen that GaiaHQ suffers from the aforementioned issues the most as they [the issues] tend to vary from a model to model basis.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that in order to properly use the updated proteus auto model, you need to change line 110 form:

"autoModelKey": "prap-1",

to:

"autoModelKey": "prap-2",

Why don’t you want to use compression twice when the first compression to PNG is lossless? There is no change in image quality with lossless compression, so very few reasons to use lossless TIFF. You can prove this to yourself with the instructions here:

NVMe is a data transfer standard, so “SSDs last longer than NVMe” is a nonsense statement. Most/all drives utilising NVMe are SSDs. Drive endurance has nothing to do with data transfer standards or drive speed. Case in point, my highest endurance drives are PCIE gen2, my lowest endurance drive is an M.2 NVMe PCIE gen3 drive.

2 Likes

This is the article that I read before choosing TIFF instead of PNG.

I would read the description on the product’s page because saying this because what I know is my Samsung SSD 8TB has 2880 TBW and my Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 2TB has around 1200 TBW. There’s the nonsense you’re talking about. Happy now?

If you are comparing Samsung 870 QVO vs 980 PRO, the 980 PRO is more durable than 870 QVO in the same capacity.

Here is spec of Samsung 870 QVO:
2021-08-14_073253

Here is spec of Samsung 980 PRO:
2021-08-14_073215

For same 2TB, the Samsung 980 PRO have 1200 TBW with 5 years warranty, while the Samsung 870 QVO have only 720 TBW with 3 year warranty.

But if you compare a 8TB drive vs 2TB, then sure the larger capacity drive have the advantage.

2 Likes

Man you’re totally “illogic” and most of what you tell is just non sense.

but we know it’s impossible to convince you (millionmice you can stop, it’s useless)

you’re totally convinced you’re right. you seems you have found a setup which is ok and work for you, so why complaining, or telling to others they are wrong by doing what they do (what you wrote earlier).

about SSD, the number of Tb after which they stop to work or break or when the cells start to die are just an indication. the important point is the warranty year !

Writting anyway TIFF file instead of PNG when you’re concerned about the lifetime of a machine which will die because of writting Tb of data…

it will write more Gb and Tb on your SSD and will make it die earlier. same with ProRes etc…

Anyway, not eveybody can afford a samsung 8Tb SSD, same with a Pro Nvme 2Tb, so i don’t see any problem here. when your SSD will break, just buy a replacement.

2 Likes

You’d almost think there was no beta testing before release…

1 Like

But I don’t use 2TB a day. I use 5TB a day. And that’s the problem. I run around 5 videos every day for 5 months straight already. Each video is 1TB. So when time the storage is full, what I should do?

Using a 8TB SSD > using 2TB NVMe for the same amount of data and in the same amount of year. So no, NVMe is not a better option here.

I don’t understand why you need to convince me that PNG is better. I said I chose it for the best quality. It’s the same as buying a bluray disc vs downloading a video on torrent. No matter what the compression method is, it’s always worse than uncompression. Even at 1%. The more compression you do, the worse image quality you get. The file is not smaller for no quality loss. Sorry but you two words are not valid for me.