Video Enhance AI v2.2.0

Good friend topazallegro914, first I would like to tell everyone here that I am not an expert in video editing, at every imaginable level, apart from the basics like noobie, so if I run into any errors please correct me :).

I have for me, after some knowledge about editing audios and videos that there are few processes in which they are not degraded, such as an FFMPEG command or even AVISYNTH to cut video, so at each interaction of processes there may be reencoders and that degrades the original image, so not sure if in the process of each VEAI preset, it performs reencoder of the previous video, I believe that yes, there may be a degradation of the video and this is not good, so here I always think a lot in using more than one process that requires reencoder, so I use the original DVD, just changing from VOB container to MKV, via MAKEMKV, and apply only one of the VEAI presets to the final result of the product, in this case.

After using all the VEAI interlaced patterns, the best result for what I was looking for was the DIONE INTERLACED ROBUST V4, starting with the interlaced artifacts, present in my examples, especially the Yanni - Tribute, and after a observation from a friend, from tracker rutracker, about problems related to distant faces of the audience and musicians getting gouache-painted appearance, which I noticed when using Dione DV and TV, prior to DIR V4, from the new version 2.2.0, which improved a lot in this regard and made me very happy with the final result, since even my SAMSUNG Crystal TU8000 50" TV has a great Upscaling, nothing compares watching Yanni’s video - Tribute straight from the DVD on TV, and that obtained by VEAI in 1080p and/or 2160p.

So here I tried to use the deinterlacing with the HYBRID preset QTGMC, which for me would already be degrading the image, and correct me if I’m wrong, in the deinterlacing process, since I have to set bitrate of the resulting video in the tab x264, but the result when playing in Media Player Classic on Windows 10, showed a worsening of artifacts normally found in interlaced videos and so far I don’t understand why this happened, when the image should be played smoothly and without artifacts in progressive mode, but I only have HD and FHD movie videos and shows in progressive mode here so I can compare.

As for Artemis, as well as you can see it all depends on the sources he’s going to handle a progressive video, I used here this week a video from Celine Dion’s concert - Taking Chances Live In Boston, which also didn’t come out on BD FHD and/or UHD, unfortunately, 960x720, from what I heard coming from Apple TV, with a good image, and it was much better in 1080p using the Artemis Medium Quality v13 preset (by the way, anyone who knows could tell me the difference between it and version 12 ? The program doesn’t clarify this), so it will all depend on the quality of your original source that you want to Upscaling.

But as I said above I try to avoid all kinds of preset interactions because I believe in the degradation of the original video in the final product, if anyone can clarify more about it I’m grateful.

Really as noobie on VEAI, I can’t tell you with progressive videos in which case to use GAIA, THEIA and/or ARTEMIS, in fact this is something I miss in most software, the company itself creates videos classes, tutorials, talking about it , at least I don’t know if TOPAZ has it, otherwise it should have, for example on Camtasia’s website, you can find numerous tutorials on how to best use your product, congratulations to CAMTASIA.

Att.

Druid®.

P.S. From what I could see Artemis Dehalo is only used for videos that have a Halo effect in the original video, but it already does the Upscaling job by taking out the Halo effect and improving the image quality in the resulting Upscaling video, not needing to apply a second Artemis preset after the final result, but then the friend IMO can explain you better why he uses two to three interactions between the VEAI presets to get a better final result.

P.S.2. Did you understand how to use HYDRID for QTGM deinterlacing with my Portuguese video lesson? I don’t know what country you are from? I live in Southern Brazil (Curitiba city, Paraná state).

Ahh. Thank you. I have not seen the option before. Thank you!
PS Please read some muf answers on improving Dione deinterlacing, maybe his comtribution would allow you to improve Dione DV/TV to avoid the ghosting which they create. Some examples have been uploaded during our discussion in this thread. Muf has managed to solve the problem very well as you can see. It would be great if VAIA is also very efficient deinterlacer since a lot of users want to both deinterlace and upscale some footage, especially some DVDs.
What do you think? It seems that maybe in this thread you have ready solution and good source to study - Yanni concert.

Guys here an OFFTOPIC help.

Could someone tell me how I do using FFMPEG and/or AVSYNTH/AVISYNTH+ to cut a part of an MKV video, type from start position HH:MM:SS.#### to end position HH:MM:SS.### #, a range of frames, without re-encoding the video?

I searched here on google, but I couldn’t find a script for that.

I appreciate any help in this regard, thank you very much in advance for the help :).

Att.

Druid®.

Hi, one thing I am wondering, did you try Dione Interlaced Robust v1? I found in many cases it had less artifacts than v2, v3, or v4.

Friend Johnnystar after so many tests, and many failures, I confess to you that I don’t even remember how the result was with DIR V1, as I said, I would really like Topaz to do tutorials showing the pros and cons of each of the presets, after all it is in their interest to show how their product works, and as seen here explain why or correct some grotesque errors like the one with the Dione DV & TV shown here by friend Muf (who by the way must have been upset with me and didn’t answer me anymore here) the such ghosts produced that are unacceptable.

Anyway, the important thing about this community is exactly this, to help people to have an orientation about the functioning of the VEAI, in the most varied sources, in my case 480i/756i of DVD Shows, since they are really very difficult to do Upscaling with great quality, and then as I said I found in DIR V4 a great Upscaling solution for concert videos I have here, I think only Scorpions’ one - Acoustica it wasn’t efficient, and I don’t remember now which Dione Interlaced Robust I used if the V1 or V2, but it doubled the fps in the final product, and it was exactly some camera shakes that occurred at the beginning of the show, and only these two didn’t produce that, and even on Yanni - Tribute the V4 still shows some very slightly shakes in some parts of the show, but very few
parts (apart from of course the jitters in the outdoor shoots in India and China which were certainly shot at 25,000 fps PAL standard and not converted to 29,976 fps NTSC standard, very grotesque in the production of this show).

Att.

Druid®.

P.S. If you have interest, time and machine, I challenge you to use the Yanni - Tribute show, which I gave you the link here, from the google driver, extract some parts and test it with DIR v1, because my desktop here has no more space for nothing friend :P.

Where did you download 2.1? I’m having the low error bug with RTX 3090, I go into great detail about my issue here, I believe the issue is 2.2 not the display driver as I didn’t have this problem with game ready drivers until updating to 2.2. I mainly use Gaia HQ and this problem doesn’t present with the secondary GPU, 2080 Ti. I can’t use studio drivers because I need 466.27 or newer for DSC for VR (Vive Pro 2):

RTX 3080 VRAM issues after installing latest driver - VEAI - Video Enhance AI Discussion - Topaz Discussion Forum (topazlabs.com)

Hello lancelot_cwb.

1. Ok, so for interlaced DVDs like 480i/576i, you recommend to use DIR v4 and to set the target resolution, for instance at 1080p - thus no playing with QTGMC etc and no upscaling by other model(s).
    I have still 2.1 version so I would have to upgrade. I do hope the newer version is not worse than the previous.
  2. I have used Artemis MQ V12 tu upscale Deep Purple Come Hell or High Water tracks and Ian Gillan’s face seemed to have changed after the process. I have used different methods and probably none of them gave me very good result. I must check it once again.
  3. I agree that some tutorials of different models and their application should have been done by Topaz staff. I do not say their approach would be an oracle but some at least preliminary hints would be usefull. I think they could use some “i” and “p” DVDs (480/576) and prepare some tutorials using different upscaling methods together with some info about the processing times of different methods using the same hardware. For someone who knows the software engine very well and have access to very fast hardware, it would be rather quite easy.
    PS For progressive 480p videos, Imo has suggested to use Dehalo first and then AMQ.
  4. I have not yet played with Hybrid (lack of time) but I shall do it to deinterlace my 1080i footage.
    Thank you for the answer.

You can install / use Hybrid with confidence. It “installs” everything into one single directory (C:\Program Files\Hybrid). Anything gets messed up for some weird reason, delete that folder and it’s 100% gone. It doesn’t put in any paths, registry settings, or anything that would ruin anything you already have installed.

There is one user settings folder that Hybrid creates under C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\hybrid, but only Hybrid uses that and you can easily just delete it.

That’s it, two folders.

After days trying to deinterlace 480i DVD movies. I gave up. Dione models gave me too many artifacts. QTGMC is too blurry and it failed me also. I really hate when it comes to deinterlacing because no deinterlacer is acceptable. Guess I will wait for Dione models to get rid of the artifacts and oversmoothing to work on interlaced movies.

Try to use Artemis models after QTGMC deinterlacing, the difference is clear. If I remmeber well, try AMQ but I am not sure for 100%. When I have done it once, final result has been very near muf’s approach. Topaz has cleaned what QTGMC had left.
PS Have you used Dione Robust?

Nice info. It would be nice if muf installs the Hybrid and shows us how to implement his method in Hybrid (if possible).

Of course I tried everything I could. What I lost were details that cannot be recovered. The vertical details/pixels.

What settings did you use for QTGMC? Also have you tried to correct anything else in the process? I am asking because for a long time I used hybrid but paid no attention to the settings in detail.

I always went for the placebo preset, which i later found out uses default 1.0 sharpening and the losless option. The later one introduces some artefacts. After i turned off those two, the result was way less artefacts when applying GaiaHQ.

Also, I always corrected the aspectratio in this step too. (640x480) Then i made some tests and it turns out, even when doing only downscaling, it changes the characteristics of small details significantly, depending on what algorithm is used. Since VEAI is able to correct for that, there is no need to change pixel-ratio.

Yea, I went for Placebo preset too. The result is bad and I couldn’t stand it. QTGMC is good, but it’s not like “unnoticeable artifacts” or “unnoticeable pixel loss”. I just hope something at least works decently, but I’m a bit too early for a great deinterlacer lol. Guess I’ll wait for 5 years later.

“Yea, I went for Placebo preset too. The result is bad and I couldn’t stand it.”

So I take it you also tried custom-settings afterwards? :thinking: I cannot say the results are soooo good but it helps a bit if you strip everything but the deinterlacing function. Problem is you can’t live without temporal denoise, so i always make trials which setting (0, 1, 2 or 3) look best.

BTW. Have you ever tried applying QTGMC + Dione? (DDV2 without deinterlacing) in my mind this combination looks better than letting Dione do the deinterlacing-work.

`

Yes friend, but see that I was very clear, for shows, because as they have said a lot here: each case is different. Mine is based on Show DVD Upscaling, which is more problematic for several reasons already discussed here. As I’m low on hard drive space, I won’t test Upscale the movie Mists of Avalon yet, which I want better than the 480i I have here. As for the deinterlacing on the Hybrid with QTGMC and other presets suggested here, well I had no luck and the splice came out worse than the sonnet, because as I said playing them on the MPCHC it showed more tremors than the interlaced and as no one disputed I have to me that really for this particular show is not the best choice, thank god DIR V4 did very well in deinterlacing and Upscaling for this show.

If the font you used is interlaced, probably yes, try DIR V4, because until version V3 the result of the faces were poor, so you will have to update your VEAI to version 2.2.0. Now even though it is progressive, use Dione and see the results, it seems to me that Artemis does very well for progressive content, because when I tried Artemis for Yanni - Tribute here they all gave upscaling tremors as the final result, by I discarded them, but with Celine Dion’s show - Taking Chances Live In Boston in 720p the result of Upscaling to 1080p was very good :).

So here I can no longer answer about it, my friend Imo would have to comment on it. I believe that at each iteration, at least this is what happens in video we find on the internet as BRip in relation to BDRip, that is, they are reencode reencode, so the quality is lost with each process and as no one here disagreed with that I wrote, the proposition seems to be true, so think if a low quality 480i DVD video goes through more than one iteration, it will have a more degraded result than the previous one, then only Imo can prove otherwise or another user here in the community who has proven data that this does not occur here at VEAI, someone even from support should be spying on this community, because another thing I see in forums and communities of other software, there is always someone from development answering the questions and/or solving these types of doubts that directly affect their products, and it is not a demerit for the VEAI if the same in each iteration degrades the resulting image, but it would be interesting for them to pronounce on this so that users avoid two or more iterations. I saw my friend Muf talk here, and correct me if I’m wrong, that he uses some processes in his videos outside of VEAI to later do the Upscaling.

I believe that for footage using common and/or semi-professional cameras, the QTGMC deinterlacing of a great result before doing an Upscaling from what I have read on the internet, so much so that you find thousands of topics about them and almost nothing about DVD Upscaling, mainly DVD of Shows.

Att.

Druid®.

If the DVDs are movies, you should not deinterlace. Inverse telecine will allow you to revert the movies back to 24 fps. That should remove most of the blurriness that you are experiencing with attempting to deinterlace the movies.

Just discovering your message, and first time i think about inverse telecine !! do you have any tips or procedure how we can achieve this ?? (Thanks !). I have no idea how !

I am going to quickly try to summarize ivtc (inverse telecine) and movies.

Almost all movies are shot at 24 fps (it’s actually 23.976fps, aka 24000/1001 but everyone says 24fps for ease of explanation), but the DVD standard was designed for old nstc standard 30fps (29.970 fps interlaced, aka 30000/1001 but for ease, everyone says 30 fps) and pal which actually is 25 fps interlaced.

To convert 24 fps to 30 fps so the movies could be played on old CRT TVs, the video is interlaced and one frame is repeated. This allows for the video to be played back at 30 fps interlaced. This is relatively easy to undo.

To convert movies from 24 fps to 25fps Pal standard, the movies are sped up 7% and audio adjustments are made. I have very little experience with ivtc and Pal but ivtc can be done.

In the past, I have manually used ffmpeg to “fieldmatch, deinterlace, decimate” NTSC movies. Fieldmatch attempts to reverse the movie interlacing, a Deinterlacer is used as a backup for any troublesome frames that can not be properly ivtc using fieldmatch (most often happens with credits), and lastly Decimate is used to remove the needlessly repeated frames.

The end result is a movie without any interlacing, played back at 24 fps. The idea is to “restore” the movie back to its original 24 fps.

Other options exist for inverse telecine other than ffmpeg, hybrid lists a number of options, but this is one way to manually do it using ffmpeg, creating an uncompressed “crf 0” output version of a movie.

ffmpeg -i ‘title_t00.mkv’ -flags +global_header -vf fieldmatch=order=tff:combmatch=full,bwdif=mode=send_frame:parity=auto:deint=interlaced,decimate -c:v libx264 -crf 0 -preset veryslow -acodec copy ‘deinterlaced_title_t00.mkv’

3 Likes

thanks a lot !! i was aware what was inverse telecine, just didn’t know where to start !! thanks !! i found some info, with avisynth and some procedure, with something called TIVTC, thanks a lot for the ffmpeg , i’ll try !! worth it !! thanks !