Video Enhance AI v2.1.1

That’s why I never use 4x Artemis models, they are not acceptable for most upscaling, unless you purposely want to eliminate surface details in certain videos that are extremely dirty.

Artemis, as for me, is the best model for cleaning and enlarging images today, but there are not enough fine settings that could change the degree of sharpness and noise level. That would be great!

I tried to use the NVIDIA GTX 650 1GB video card and it does not work with VEAI, although the video card has the same video card with 2 GB of memory and is supported by the latest driver with DX12, but the program switches to the processor, even if you select a video card. And what is strange, I downloaded a video from a mobile phone with a resolution of 176x144 and on this video card the program said that there is no model and try to select the mode with less memory, even if I set 100% cleaning only … But this is ridiculous, because with 1GB, you can safely work with graphics up to 1080р inclusive, but here on NVIDIA GTX 650 1GB is not supported at all, although it works with AMD R7 260X 1GB.

ı have received the email from support team yesterday. Unfortunately, the issue not related with hardware which they’ve said. GPU, PSU, RAM and CPU are checked by my service center and they are fine.
I tried the 2.1.1 on another machine with I5 CPU and AMD RX 580 and the program kept crash.

After I read about your reply, I download the iso from MS. Formatted the PC and clean installed Windows. Because, you tried AMD driver version 20.12.1 and I’ve tried the 21.2.1 and 21.3.1 before so, I installed Radeon 21.4.1 driver and the rest of the drivers of MB (sound, Chipset etc). I avoid installing any other software and prevent Windows Update to install anything because I still suspicious about the Windows update or software problem from the beginning which came out to be true. If the 2.1.1 has issues the previous versions were fine back then. But now none of them works?!

Guess what; it worked 30-40 mins without crash and all settings were at default. But I didn’t go further cause I needed to do something else with PC so I cancelled it.
Because Windows Update has many OS updates on one go after the 20H2 freshly installed, I don’t know which one VEAI doesn’t like. And I don’t really want to go deep into that yet because I am exhausted to check out what was wrong during whole week.

On the other hand none of the other programs Premier Pro, Photoshop, Nuance, my games has problems with the new Windows updates, only VEAI has this issue. And it seems many people has the same problem when/if they update their machines.

I will test without any Windows update layer on and let see if convert the whole movie without crash.

So setting 225% does not make any sense? Only 2x 4x? So why are thery any other possibilities like setting precisely the output resolution? Based on what you have written, only 2x or 4x upscaling steps work…pity. So what happens if one set 225x or for instance 300%? Thus upscaling 400% is the best option…?

Hi,
I do not get it. Could you clarify the steps?
Upscale using Artemis AA9 400% to 4K and then downscale using AHQ 11 to HD?
Is it what you meant?
PS What about cleaning with CG and upscalling 200% using AHQ and repeat the process?
With just a few models there are really a lot of options to check…:frowning:
I shall try also cleaning with AMQ and upscaling using AHQ 400% and compare with CGA direct upsaling 400%.

240% or higher will scale to 4x and then downscale to the target. 239% or lower will scale to 2x and then upscale to the target.

This was probably chosen as a performance trade-off that many users would not notice.

I have a quick question. How do I know if I’ve downloaded optimized models? I can’t seem to find any feedback, and upon seeing the different between Gigapixel’s default and downloaded models, I’m worried that I’m missing out on modern performance.

Upon using task manager to monitor network usage, at the same time that I confirmed I was getting models downloaded, I have noted that the Theia models have now developed severe artifacts.

Uninstall KB5001330. Prevent it from reinstalling using wushowhide (available widely). See if it stops crashing.

Thought setting was Galia-CG-HQ, but yes CG.
You believe the best version was 1.5.3.
Thanks for input.

Regarding this release: Do you find any new models that work as good for low res.

Yesterday I read an article, they write in it that since February 2021, a ban on cryptocurrency mining is being inserted into the drivers. And also resources are cut down to 50% of productive video cards in connection with the struggle of cryptocurrency mining. Also, new versions of video cards will already be released with built-in protection against mining. Microsoft, in turn, also tried that even two cards in the system are already suspected of mining and most likely a system reset or interruptions when loading video cards is connected with this. Now it does not seem to have gone and they are looking for other methods of dealing with miners. Perhaps this is all interconnected.

Thank you for the answer. So if I neeed 1080p output, in theory I should upscale 4x as you have written once and then edit the obtained file in a video editor and finally set 1080p as a target resolution. BTW, I shall prepare the file in that way and also do as I have done before. I must check the upscaling methods once again using different methods.

Hi topazallegro914,

Upsize a clip to 200% or 400% (depending on the original size) and then deblocking and other large size filtrations and then downsizing it to a smaller size is commonly done when going from SD to HD or higher.

Davinci Resolve offers it with the Super Scale function, BorisFX with Uprez, etc … The difference is that depending on the host, it is done in a single pass. Currently with Topaze VEAI you have to do it in 2 passes.

It is not to be done systematically but for your clips SD: it is a little better to do it.

From your butterfly clip (but it’s pretty much the same with all the clips you have offered, you have to fight a huge blocking and aliasing. Only Artemis AAA 9 can do it as much as it can do little.

400% original : (blocking)

With GHQ at 400%: it’s the dance of pixels
GHQ

With AAA 9 to 400%: it is less detailed but stable. (Poor quality GIF)
AAA

AAA9 at 400% (image exctract)

CG => you get cardboard.

Hope this help

There is another permanent program error. If there is not enough disk space to save the video file, then the program continues to encode to the end and at the end it completely closes (or if you stop yourself). The file is broken and cannot be opened. To solve this, you just need to determine the free disk space before encoding, warn if the predicted output video size exceeds the free disk space, and run it with confirmation on the request. Further, in a loop with coding, you need to check for the remaining free space on the disk (other processes with the disk can also work), and if the free space runs out, then issue a warning. After there is 1-2 MB of free space, stop the process (pause with information and then the opportunity to terminate or continue the process). Also, I would like that when you select the save location on the disk, when you click on the name of the output file at the bottom of the program, then the name is already inscribed in the line. (now it is empty and it is not convenient to manually repeat the name of the file with parameters), but you can always quickly erase or change the name if it is there.

Well, I tried but still kept crashing after 30-50 mins or so.

I read an article dated February 2020 comparing video enhancement programs. Surprised, that one of the cons is video size limited to <10 GB. It must have been changed since then because clearly I remember they add support for .mov (ProRes) HQ support on 1.8.1 if I remember correctly. Which means this type of file size can reach hundreds of GB’s easily. And I am so pleased because, I was thinking upscale the old sci-fi series/movies (eg. Babylon 5 movies).

The video I was trying is mxf (ProRes) file which I cleaned up with Premiere Pro neat video plugin. Now I was trying to upscale to mov. (Prores) again so I can do the color corrections on final.

When I read the article it flashes on my mind that this file which I was trying is around 64 GB. Could be the problem? They should have been lifted the 10 GB limit, right?

No. They didn’t. I understand this when I tried another mxf file with the size of 2 GB and all the settings are highest. VEAI handle and finished upscaling in 20 mins.

This is unbelievable. And I don’t understand added support for mxf and mov (ProRes) file and not remove file size limit.

Check the article:

Hi, I redid the workflow

1-Original clip with Artemis AAA-9 at 400%
2-take the result AAA-9 with Artemis HQ 11 to HD. Ok the VEAI downscale is not optimized in terms of speed… but good.

So the result: a little lacking in detail but stable.

And if one day Topaz VEAI team wanted to add a very small Richardson – Lucy deconvolution, that would be very good. (I have the right to dream …:innocent:)

“Alternative (my favorite) is to use THEIA with a 100% deblock and a light sharpen and denoise. I just did a test but there is surely a good combination to be found. (be careful not to redo oversharpening).”
Did you set sizing custom settings scale 100% with a 100% deblock and a light sharpen and denoise or sizing 100% Denoise deblock custom settings 100% with a 100% deblock and a light sharpen and denoise?

Hi jcp29,
How did you perform Richardson – Lucy deconvolution?

I was searching for a week and I am so tired. I reinstall Windows (twice) and drivers. Prevent Windows Update. Tried all versions since 1.5.3. Tried on another PC. It a No-Go. Even support team cannot help.

Then I read an article dated February 2020 comparing video enhancement programs. Surprised, that one of the cons is video size limited to <10 GB. It must have been changed since then because clearly I remember they added support for .mov (ProRes) HQ support on 1.8.1 if I remember correctly. Which means this type of file size can reach hundreds of GB’s easily. And I was so pleased because, I was thinking upscale the old sci-fi series/movies (eg. Babylon 5 movies).

The video I was trying is mxf (ProRes) file which I cleaned up with Premiere Pro neat video plugin. Now I was trying to upscale to mov. (Prores) again so I can do the color corrections on final.

When I read the article it flashes on my mind that this file which I was trying is around 64 GB. Could be the problem? They should have been lifted the 10 GB limit, right?

No. They didn’t. I understand this when I tried another mxf file with the size of 2 GB and all the settings are highest. VEAI handle and finished upscaling in 20 mins.

This is unbelievable and ridicilous. And I don’t understand added support for mxf and mov (ProRes) file and not remove file size limit.

1 Like

Of the newer VEAI versions, I still prefer Artemis v9 models (HQ, MQ, LQ). Because I find with every new update of Artemis, there are more artifacts and more of a plastic look (loss of realistic detail).

1 Like