Video Enhance AI v2.1.1

Yeah. It’s true they are identical. I have the same ones on my Windows 10 home 20H2 laptop. I made a folder to get the setups of the cumulative updates with 2 subfolders. One for the 1909 and one for the 20H2. It saves me from downloading them again if one day I have to reinstall Windows.

Since I installed MSI AfterBurner, my PC looks more stable with the use of Video Enhance. I manage to stay between 65 and 68° on my GPU. This is much better because before, I was between 79 and 80° and sometimes between 80 and 84°. always, since version 2.1.0 and 2.1.1, the software is even more resource-intensive. That’s why I had repeated bluescreen.

Another point, the button “Load last auto save” does not work since 2.1.0. Before I had a save file in “C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Video Enhance AI” which allowed to find where I was stopped to resume later. But here, there is no more file which is created at the time of the launching of a video improvement.

1 Like

Btw the RTX 3000er needs good PSU and I’m not sure if it’s fixed, but at launch the cards were instable if they boosts over 2ghz…
I know that you have a 2080 card, but If you get crashes again, you can try to reduce the gpu clock maybe 50mhz or reduce the powerlimit of the gpu if you can. I think it’s not only a temperature problem but it could also be a problem with power consumption.
My RTX 3090 needs 350W at 100% load, if I use it with other AI software :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey guys, how does the Gaia CG model hold up in this latest build to 1.6.1?

I read some things online that the quality has decreased after the 1.6.1 build.

Gaia CG was my favourite mode back then but now I love the Artemies modes more! I will encode a test clip for you if you wanna compare these. Just send me a clip for use. :slight_smile:

Windows manages that far better now. The ones you have saved wouldn’t be relevant anymore and would be packaged in with “new” updates you would get when you install. Not to mention, you’d be using a freshly downloaded copy of Windows 10 that would likely have all those updates in it.

TLDR: Absolutely no point saving updates in a folder. Done properly, Windows is almost totally up to date at install.

Actually no.
e.g. if you have a 25 fps video an you get 5 fps, it is easier to multiply the minutes of the video by 5 (25/5 = 5 times x realtime) to get a fast estimation in your head.
The same goes for any fps.
The reason is simple. With fps you are dealing with very small numbers, easy to calculate in your head. That’s why everybody uses FPS instead of sec/frame.
If you want to be precise and use a calculator, there is no difference between FPS and Sec/Frame :slight_smile:

EDIT: Also, with fps you always know how close you are to realtime processing and adjust accordingly. With sec/frame makes no sense whatsoever.

1 Like

Would it be extremely difficult to simply make FPS or sec/frame something that can be toggled in the GUI that would appease all customers?

2 Likes

Exactly. A simple button on “preferences” would be enough for anybody.

Actually no.
e.g. if you have a 25 fps video an you get 5 fps, it is easier to multiply the minutes of the video by 5 (25/5 = 5 times x realtime) to get a fast estimation in your head.

That would be true if VEAI would show you the duration of the video - but it only shows frame numbers.
I pretty much prefer the Sec/Frame as this is the same with most professional software I am using like for example After Effects or Blender. For long renders I find it much more informative to see how long it will take to render per frame.

But as this is a matter of personal preference I also would like to see a toggle for what to display. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I always liked the “x realtime” feature of After Effects, hated the sec (or minutes or even or days during the 90’s on Amiga)/frame on LightWave.
But, as you and shodan5000 said, it is a personal preference thing.
So, we ask for a button! LOL

Oh the good old days:
Lightwave 3.5 on Amiga 1200 - a 12 sec animation in SD took me a week to render
:smiley:

1 Like

Gaia used to be really good as you said. But the Artemis models are significantly a lot better than they were before.

A user here made a really good post on what models to use for certain types of media. You can check it out here.
Video Enhance AI v2.0.0 - Product Releases / Video Enhance AI - Topaz Discussion Forum (topazlabs.com)

1 Like

You can find it here with more in depth information.
VEAI Models + Performance Guide

5 Likes

Heavily appreciated. Thank you.

You forgot one small detail. It is useful to have a copy of the cumulative updates. Because let’s imagine for some A reason x or y there is a big bug in Windows. You must use a backup of before this bug. But in the meantime there have already been cumulative updates that are not in the backup. To avoid downloading them again, it is good to reinstall them from the previously downloaded copy.

I mean in all honesty, you’d have to be on a dialup connection for an update download to really matter. I would not waste a single second of my time to “avoid downloading them again.” Just not worth it.

Summary

This text will be hidden

Any new versions of Gaia yet ? I’m using Gaia v6 to work on some raw footage from The Man From Earth the director sent over. Artemis removes too much detail… Gaia is waaay better to keep the details.
Tried all of the Artemis models and all of them butcher the fine details.

3 Likes

That film was shot in SD if I remember correctly? Lots of very dark scenes in the house, very noisy footage.
EDIT: yeah, shot on the DVX100.

Artemis MQ works fine for me, but you should raise the exposure of the footage before feeding it to Artemis. Then it won’t remove the details, just the noise.
That’s what I did with raw footage from our film and it works great that way.

Would you mind telling the director of “The Man from Earth” that I really enjoyed his film and would like to say thank you for some intelligent entertainment he created.

1 Like