Video Enhance AI v1.2.1 - OpenVino V3 and Bug Fixes

Download: Windows, Mac. Released April 15th, 2020.

Major features

• Artemis models updated. No more Artemis-MQ since it has nearly no difference from Artemis-LQ.
  • Artemis OpenVino support. Only CPU.

Improvements

• Now installers will first totally clean up the folder before installation.
  • Now output file will be checked if it is read-only.
  • GPU cmd line option in.

Fixes

• More stable. Fixed a few bugs that will cause crashes.
4 Likes

Hi

Thanks for the new release!
First of all thanks for that great tool. Its awsome what we can get out of a Video with your tool.

But I am still facing some blue and black ā€œStainsā€ in some parts of the Video. The Source is absolutely clean of them.

Is there a way to fix such ā€œbugsā€?
It is not premitted to upload Pics in here. So if you need some before and after pics, let me know.

1 Like

I just downloaded the latest build, installed with no problem and set my defaults. I added video to enhance, clicked process, and again with no problem. But what I didnā€™t realize, I selected a video I just spent 6 hours enhancing and the enhanced video file was overwritten without warning. Please add warning the target video is about to be overwritten, or automatically add a sequence number. I prefer the warning. Thank you.

1 Like

I just noticed the option to use default output name, if unchecked, would have prevented the file from being overwritten, but even with that, a warning message should also be displayed before the process starts. Thank you again.

1 Like

Could we have some infos about the GPU command line option ? what is it for and how do we use it ?
Meanwhile, the only two bugs I had with v1.2.0 are still remaining :

• if I try multiple previews thereā€™s sometimes a frame of the previous one displaying at the beginning
  • Remaining time when processing randomly not displaying.

About Artemis-MQ, there was real differences in v1.2.0 and it was often better than the LQ one who tends to go other the top with oversharpening and keep the compression artifacts from the original video. Itā€™s like having a higher definition of the video that would have been encoding with a low bitrate.
GAIA-HQ is still the best but unfortunately canā€™t deal with very low definition videos <360p or videos with too much noise/macroblocks or poorly deinterlaced videos.
GAIA-CG is the best option for very bad quality videos but at the cost of a lack of fine details resulting.
If we could have a model with results in-between GAIA-HQ and GAIA-CG then this could provide amazing final outputs.
But for now Iā€™m still waiting for the main mandatory new feature : Ability to save videos with any ffmpeg supporting encoding codec or vfw installed codecs on Windows.

Edit : Having saved v1.2.0 before installing v1.2.1 I can confirm after doing some tests than the old Artemis-MQ was producing better results on most videos than the new merged MQ-LQ model. Very disappointed on that choice to have delete the MQ model.

7 Likes

Is this update also for mac user or only windows user?

In 1.2.0, Artemis-MQ definitely did NOT look ANYTHING LIKE Artemis-LQ. Artemis-MQ was the BEST mode for DVD upscaling. It was SHARPER than both Artemis-HQ and Artemis-LQ in most cases, even on good quality video. Removing this mode is completely bizzare, and is demonstrably a DOWNGRADE.

5 Likes

Here are samples of video processed with 1.2.0. First one is Artemis-HQ, second one is Artemis-MQ, and third one is Artemis-LQ. Scaling is 2X from 720x576 source. After scaling, the Video Enhance AI results were resized from 1440x1152 to the correct aspect ratio of 1440x1080 using spline144 resize in AviSynth and a high quality crf 18 re-encode.

These are ffmpeg direct frame captures of the processed video.

I am not sure how you are testing your results to determine that there is ā€œnearly no differenceā€ between Artemis-MQ and Artemis-LQ. I would recommend using the command ffmpeg -i result.mp4 -r 1/1 result-%06d.png. This generates one frame capture per second in the current directory. (If you want to extract all frames: ffmpeg -r 1 -i result.mp4 -r 1 result-%06d.png)

Here is a zippyshare link to all three files above for convenience:

Use this methodology:

Unzip the file.

Please install IrfanView. Use it to open 01_Sample_Artemis-HQ.png. Now press the space bar to open 02_Sample_Artemis-MQ.png, and again to open 03_Sample_Artemis-LQ.png. Press the backspace key to go the previous image, and the space key to go the next image. In this way, the differences become much more apparent and clear.

Here is the original sample clip used to produce the above results:

Nice update

I have a question : When will support for AMD graphics cards like the RX 580 be available? I wish I could use my GPU with your software

7 Likes

In my opinion Artemis-MQ is very similar to Artemis-LQ, but produces in many cases better results. I think you should keep it as an option.

And I am hoping for support of AMD cards in both Windows and macOS! (I want to use my Radeon VII)

Keep up the great work!

4 Likes

While it isnā€™t much, I am noticing things are running faster with the same settings in this version. I was averaging .65sec/frame, now Iā€™m its .53. Doesntā€™ seem like much, but doing the math, it appears to be shaving off about two hours of my encode time.

1 Like

Please bring back Artemis-MQ.

3 Likes

iā€™m confirming this, iā€™m running only on CPU i7-7700 unfortunatly, and my encoding per frame kind of been divided by 50%. i was at 12 to 15s per frame before and now iā€™m closer to 4 or 5s per frame, no matter if the source is in full hd or not (before, the 100% deblocing was taking 15s per frame, while upscalling to x2 to x2.5 was taking around 4 to 6s per frame).

1 Like

I have this problem where during processing using Video Enhance, when the computer goes idle (such as locking the PC, or going AFK), the processing usually stops. This wasnā€™t the case with Gigapixel AI.

This is on Windows 10 with Nvidia GPU.

3 Likes

Since this was still called Gigapixel AI for video, Iā€™ve had problems with this software cutting out frames at the end of my videos. Since 1.2.0, the videos are the proper frame count, but the last frame of my videos is still missing, displaying a blank blank image instead. This is persisting with this release as well.
Really sucks when Iā€™m upscaling CGI videos that are suppose to loop seamlessly. :\ The results are gorgeous, but it sucks I canā€™t use any of these videos.

Here is my before and after comparison. Here you see the probs with the blue and black stains.

A.I. Model ā†’ Gaia-CCG: P, CG, HQ
Preset ā†’ From 1080p to 4K
Crop to fill fram ā†’ ticked
Output ā†’ mpeg4
AI Resources Demand: 100%

Pics:
Comparison

Can you please fix this issue?
Thanks!

3 Likes

yup, this issue needs to be fixxed.

1 Like

I have also experienced this issue on some occasions and it was not an animated video.

2 Likes

Here are some video examples of VEAI not rendering the last frame in some videos. Would anyone mind running these through to see if they get the same issues as me? Theyā€™re 5 second, 304x208 CG videos.

I had a issue with that version related with the fact that is producing a ā€˜jumpingā€™ video.
Recommendation is to downgrade it to 1.1.1 so itā€™s look like that kind of bug in new version .
However Iā€™m interesting is there any ETA for fixing this ? Iā€™m now in trial mode but with such outcome I do not convinced to spend $ on it .