VEAI shuts down the computer

hello guys again just to update the situation with new info the problem is still exist specially on VEAI but this could be something related to windows 10/nvidia but since topaz apps works on GPU could be something related to win10/nvidiaGPU/drivers issue it happened on 3 games (sometimes different driver version) but VERY rare like in last 8 months 3 times computer crashed and restarted by three games but noticed its when i press winKEY+ALT+D but on VEAI it happenes without pressing anything even while leaving computer AFK and leaving VEAI processing just wanted to say because this could be something from windows 10 and related to drivers or something i hope if someone using VEAI on mac can confirm if they even encounter same problem or not if it never happened on mac users then its differently win10/NVIDIA issue and the games that crashed are god of war / snow runner / cyberpunk each game one time so far

guys anyway just a heads up those shutting things were from 1.9 - 2.4 versions of VEAI and i didnā€™t try VEAI for a long time since it made my motherboard somehow lost access to the bios during a shutdown when i was trying to use it but still computer works normal (just i can format or use a usb it make it stuck on start up) yesterday tried version 2.6.3 idk but since yesterday i tried 7 videos all processed without a shutdown and btw i used to run VEAI solo when i had shutdowns but after i saw yesterday there is no shutdown i tested it even while using skype and browser with +40 tabs open for hours today all good, what ever they did ty i hope it stays like this and its not some kind of good luck or something lol

Hello Tangerine

I have the same problem with a hard reboot randomly always after the launch of the enhancing process.
It is a hard shut down like using the power button, as if a hardware protection mechanism was triggered.
I have no blue screen and no messages in the windows event log except for the unexpected shut down.

Temperatures stay <60C for the CPU and <70 for the GPU.
No other programs, even FS2020 at ULTRA setting triggers such situation.

I will check the power drawn from the power supply.

Core i7 10700K (stock, not OC)
6900 XT (stock, not OC)
Memory 32G Dual channel supported by ASUS on.a Z490E
Using a AX760 PSU

hello bro sorry to tell you i found no solution but i am currently using 2.6.3 and i didnā€™t update now is rare for my computer to shut down during processing with VEAI so far computer shut down like 3 times since 25 feb somehow the devs changed something that works fine for me ,mostly without intention i think it has something between (window ,GPUs and PSUs) this same problem i noticed it can happen RARELY on some games/softwares with heavy usage of GPU ,currently i am still using NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti on win 10 previous VEAI versions used to shut down my computer like 99% rarely when i was able to complete a video but now with 2.6.3 seems all fine made some videos of old footages processing them while browsing/youtube or watching tv shows/movies made them and only 3 times had the shut down on one video maybe because it was low res.

btw i use max memory processing for the GPU since 25 but before 2.6.3 version sometimes was VEAI able to work if i lower it to half memory for 720p videos or lowering it for more for videos below 720p and for 1080p to 4K i make it max sometimes it did work but canā€™t prove it because sometimes makes computer crash even if i used max memory on 1080p videos or low memory on 720p,

probably if you still have these shutdowns wait for next versions if you using 2.6.4 try go back to 2.6.3 and test but i still didnā€™t update since 2.6.3 worked fine i stayed with it and i didnā€™t use VEAI for like last month but tested it just for this reply to make sure its still working seems working fine while writing without any shutdown

Hi there again tangieran

So, after a lot of reading and a lot of testing this is what i figured:

1. 2.6.4 generated much more hard reboots than 2.6.3 and 2.6.2
  2. CPU usage never exceeded 80%, memory usage stayed at 20% and temps never went past 70C even for the 6900XT
  3. The hard reboots looked like a power surge protection which occurred absolutely randomly
    4)ā€¦which is surprising because the HW monitor i use indicates that the system never seems to use more than 350W which means the AX760 should have be sufficient.
  4. The original system is rock solid even when running Prime 95 in stress mode for hours on end

Butā€¦replacing the AX760 by a HX1000 solved the problemā€¦

So, my conclusion is that VEAI induces a power surge that triggers a protection from the MB or the power supply. This problem is specific to VEAI and is not induced by any other programs i use.

Hope this helps someoneā€¦

2 Likes

thanks for the info and good luck

Itā€™s really almost always the power supply. It never happens to me (RTX 3080 Ti + 12900K).

I did get a 1-time spontaneous reset on start, but that was a documented driver issue (where nVidia erroneously undervolted the GPU under conditions).

I have the same problem, I monitored the issue on my pc & it turns out that topaz usage is heavy on the cpu causing the cpu to overheat & shut down(as a safety measure).

It has happened since I updated a while ago. Now it is a losing gamble just to use it now where I might be lucky enough to churn out a movie before my pc shuts down due to overheating.

My pc has exceeded the recommended settings, yet the problem still persists even though it was not like that before the update.

I contacted customer service about the issue, and they told me (the typical bs) that I might need a new pc even though my pc is not even 2 years old.

Have you tried increasing the CPU cooler or underclocking the CPU?

1 Like

Under clocking my cpu by 1% seemed to fix the issue, Thanks. My cpu now is at a stable 80-85 degrees running multiple programs(including topaz), instead of 95+ degrees(then eventually crashing) running just topaz.

Iā€™ve experienced several unexpected shutdowns, similar to what others have reported. Iā€™ve observed that my GPU tends to run hot during encoding. While I have a water cooler installed for my CPU, Iā€™m considering doing the same for the GPU.

Is there a method to analyze the logs and determine the cause of these shutdowns?

Youā€™re using a 7800 XT. I bought a 6900 XT and I never got it to work correctly. My RTX 3080 ti had no issues with the same videos or even when I swapped it with the 6900 XT. Ended up selling it and getting an RTX 4070 ti. Havenā€™t had an issue since.

i too experienced quite a good number of soft and hard crashes and looked into itā€¦

for me, it wasnĀ“t about overheating the gpu (3080) or cpu, but the gpu tensor cores stopped responding to the commands they received, so i trialā€™nā€™errored around till i found out that my undervolting (via msi burner) was responsible for it.
while my settings were perfect for gaming, they would crash under the load VAI could put on them - soft/hard crash strictly depending on the voltage i admitted to the GPU. low voltage=hard crash, medium voltage=soft crash, enough voltage=no error.

i solved the problem by establishing an only slightly undervolted, but also underclocked ā€œwork profileā€ whenever i let VAI do its work. no hard crashes and almost no soft crashes ever since, only a few whenever i am too quick pushing buttons to initiate a number of encodes/stops in quick succession.

i suppose an alternative would be to delete the tensor-using model files and fall back on the non-tensor ones.