Topaz Video AI v4.0.4

Hello everyone,

A new release of Topaz Video AI is now available.

Today we’re taking our first steps into NLE plugins by releasing a Beta plugin for Topaz Video AI in After Effects. See below for more details.

v4.0.4
Released November 14th, 2023

Downloads:

Changelog from 4.0.3

• Crop is visually applied to the input and previews.
  • Adds description to preferences for Import/Export explaining that they will be applied the next time a video is opened.
  • Hides telecine option for image sequences (previously did nothing).
  • Removes confusing “Processing” label on exports that was appearing while they are waiting in queue.
  • Fixes full-frame stabilization missing last few frames.
  • Fixes zoom and upscaling issues with non-square SAR videos.
  • Fixes inconsitencies in crop tool.
  • Fixes issue in split view causing video to scale down in size while dragging pane handle.
  • Fixes issues editing previously applied crop.

Known Issues

• Inconsistent “Preview X frames” enable status.
  • Preview frames syncing may be off by roughly 1/2 a frame.
  • Rotation w/ previews will not be rotated.
  • Stuttering on entrance-to/leaving previews / looping.

After Effects Plugin Beta (Windows)

A key part of our mission starting with Topaz Video AI 4 and going into 2024 is to fit in as smoothly as possible with common video editing workflows. To that end, we have been hard at work on non-linear editor integrations.

The first version of the plugin will integrate with Adobe After Effects and allow you to use enhancement, upscaling, motion deblur and grain to the full extent that you already can in the TVAI standalone app. Currently the plugin is only available on Windows - MacOS will arrive before the end of the year. The plugin will be available to install from inside TVAI to any user with a valid TVAI 4.0 license.

To install the beta plugin, follow these steps:

• 1) Open Topaz Video AI
  • 2) Make sure you are signed in
  • 3) Click Help > Install TVAI After Effects Plugin Beta
  • 4) Click Install

Please check out our docs about how to use the beta plugin in After Effects to understand how to use the plugin and current limitations.

NLE Integrations Roadmap

End of Year:

• Release After Effects beta plugin for MacOS.
  • Improve performance for “Multi-Frame Rendering” feature.
  • Release beta plugin for Adobe Premiere Pro.

Downstream:

• Add Frame Interpolation to After Effects & Premiere Pro plugins.
  • More integrations - including DaVinci Resolve & other host apps.

We are excited to get your feedback on the plugin! Please sound off below, or in the new Plug-ins section of the forums.

10 Likes

Could we get faster processing speed with the M1 Max processors? Also, an updated model to the AliasingMoire preset?

6 Likes

We’re always working towards faster performance across both macOS and Windows systems. We hope to optimize further for M-series processors with future updates, along with model updates and entirely new models. Thanks for your feedback!

11 Likes

I’ve got 16 core Mac please use them!

3 Likes

It’s bizarre that Topaz Labs is releasing the first “beta” plug-in of Video AI for Adobe products since they are subscription based only…almost ironic. And, later having a plug-in for Resolve which will probably only work with the $400 Studio version, which has an amazing NR video effect and “Super Scaling” ability already (Both the “Studio” and “Free” versions have a steep learning curve with features that most people don’t need. A lot of folks use the Resolve “Free” version, but this has limitations.

It would make more sense to have a plug-in targeted for Magix’s Vegas Video which is more along the lines of “prosumer” NLE editing and currently doesn’t have any good NR or up scaling.

(BTW: I have Premiere, Resolve (Studio) and Vegas. By far the most user friendly is Vegas Video. But, if you are used to Premiere, Resolve makes a lot of sense).

3 Likes

Yes. Even better, produce an OFX version first, which is supported by a bunch of different NLEs including Vegas Pro. Not even a mention of that - I worry about the direction TVAI is taking, they make some very odd decisions.

5 Likes

OpenFX is planned as part of this roll out, we definitely won’t be leaving Resolve users behind!

12 Likes

Waiting for the Premiere Pro plug-in :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Please back the support of CPUs without AVX2 !!!

7 Likes

I am going to renew my license at some point and davinci resolve integration may be selling point to me, any plans when it will be done?

1 Like

BTW My licence also drops off a cliff soon and I use Resolve Studio, where TVAI would be a nice addition… although my powerful system doesn’t do AVX2 but my less powerful one does, so there might be time issues (i.e. quicker to just use Resolve on a fast system and use TVAI stand-alone on the other one, or just 3.5.4 on the fast one stand-alone). Oh and I’d prefer it not to be OFX as they can be problematic sometimes, in my modest experience with them and Resolve.

P.S. IMHO worth pointing out that historically Resolve Studio has been a one-time purchase and all updates have been free, so not really cheap up-front, but I bought v14 and am currently running 18.6.2 without spending any more money in the interim, so per year its been a bargain… I would be surprised if they charged for v19, but who knows…

2 Likes

Hello, is this version “working”? Only few little bugs?

I still stay with version 3.5.4 which was for me the last useable/working version.

Should I upgrade/update?

5 Likes

Wondering when we’ll see a new Iris model or a new Nyx model. V2 of each have issues. Would be nice to see a new model in-general before 2025 that can do a MUCH better job of cleaning video (ie compression artifacts), NO ghosting between frames and a big improvement on temporal stability with noise in video.

Compression artifacts should be easy to fix better since the standard model on Photo AI can do a much better job than any TVAI model so far.

7 Likes

I just went back to 3.5.4 too. Way I understood things, even when my license expires (in 2 months), 3.5.4 should keep running, right?

N.B. Mini-rant: It all started with version 3, when they essentially started from scratch. Sometimes that is needed, but then you need to wait with your release until the new version is as stable as the previous one, or is at least not losing major features in the process. Now the same with version 4. Basically Topaz is de facto turning everyone into a beta tester. And that’s not cool: at some point your new product needs to have become better than the previous incarnations, and not be severely handicapped by a UI that has regressed in functionality because its makers had other priorities. Like Preview, which has always been problematic, but which has now, on render output, been completely removed even.

8 Likes

Yes, Adobe has the larger demographic but I wouldn’t be surprised if a poll found more of the Topaz Video uses Resolve, Nuke or other OFX editors.

1 Like

@tony.topazlabs Please create a video tutorial on how to properly use this new plug-in inside After Effects, after installing it! Thank you very much! :sweat_smile:

Personally I am happy with this new version (including since V4.0.0)

I treat videos 1440x1080 in 16 FPS and interpole at 25 fps (PAL/FRANCE). These clips are super 8 scan with a very large grain. Objective: to withdraw this grain and put it back at the end but after assembly in Davinci Resolve.

I get (in my opinion) to a very correct result to treat them in Davinci Resolve Studio in HD.
All at 4 fps. It is not the fastest but by setting the performance at 90% my CPU is used at 30% and my GPU 68% (OSD GPU Tweak III of Asus).

Windows 11 performance says:
CPU = between 50 and 60%
GPU = between 50 and 100%

I don’t know if I will do a second pass to climb everything in 4K but I will do this second pass to increase the sharpness before apply new grain. OFX Davinci Resolve or Dehancer Pro OFX (?)

Personally I am several dozen S8 films and not disappointed but I spent at least 3 to 4 hours finding the combination of models to obtain correct results. The previews were of a major aid. And not having the preview during export does not bother me because it slows down the export speed.

In any case, you have to try with your videos and check whether the results are good or not.
Good tests.

4 Likes

Errm, speed has decreased even without preview here.
And before with the 3.5.x versions there was no real difference in speed with/without preview.
This is for MacOS.

1 Like

A known issues list is shorter than changes and fixes issues list. I guess that is a slight improvement. Beta plug in for After Effects seems very strange decision.

a) Topaz Video AI is in beta it self, and releasing a beta (this time officially called beta, and that in Topaz talk means pre alpha), seems a strange priority for the company that still can’t produce a polished, stable core product. Tones of features and requests, not to mention just basic stability and performance is still not there. So how is this new pre alpha side project a priority? Its a welcomed addition, but not at the expense of core product features. Bizarre, priorities.

b) Speaking of priorities. Why is there no color management still in your app? Who is the app designed for? TikTokers? Because its not for any kind of professional workflow. You can’t even import log footage and expect to get anything useful back, because while it has good codecs now that can preserve the data of the original, it does not matter because the Topaz itself completely changes colors of the source footage. How did that even pass a product manager test or was this on purpose? Because it makes no sense, for example to put ProPres codec for output but completely butcher original source colors during processing. Topaz, please hire something who has spend at least a minute in any kind of legit professional environment and leave tik tok era behind. There is potential in the app, not limited by technology but by incompetent product managers. With ever more bizarre decisions.

5 Likes

We plan to fully finish this first plugin and bring it out of beta by the end of December by adding frame interpolation and making it available in Premiere and MacOS.

After that we will begin development on a plugin for DaVinci Resolve, probably with OpenFX. We don’t have information on dates yet, but it’s one of our top priorities, along with improving stability and performance in the standalone app and improving processing results.

8 Likes