Topaz Video AI v3.3.10

This is how Agile iterative model works and ensures better code, earlier is better, time waits on no one. lower hanging fruits can be resolved quickly, major updates can come later.

3 Likes

Hi Ida, I just sent you a folder with the source file, screenshots of the issue and a list of my pc specs.
I just tested a few different sources (Dailymotion and YouTube). All files have a slight green tint for me when using H265 Main10 and also prores. Basically imo itā€™s an issue when using a 10 bit codec.
For this test file I sent the issue is there in the final file as well as the live preview window.

Let me know if you need any more details or test clips.

Edit: I does seem like it it a file specific issue, Some get color corrected, others do not, But I do notice this issue mostly when using 10bit or 422 colorspace like prores and H265 Main 10.

Unknown. :man_shrugging:

General question to 3.3.10 :
Are the bugs beginning from version 3.3.6 up to 3.3.09 now solved/fixed?
Or is always version 3.3.5 the only last one, where we can work with it with only a few number of problems?

1 Like

I have the exact same hardware specs. And I just previewed and exported a file just fine. Not saying what happened to your exports didnā€™t happen, at all. Iā€™m sure it did. Iā€™m just saying there may be other factors than Topaz in your case. Iā€™ve attached a jpeg of my export settings. Thanks!

Hello,

Would it be possible to open the application at the same size it was on the previous quit? I have to re-size it every time I open the app.

Kind Regards

4 Likes

I donā€™t know how the developers test the program, but this problem of mismatching preview frames has been around for a very long time. The output frame is numbered two previous frames than the original. Download any DVD of an old video and look at the result of the preview in a single window (by clicking with the mouse) and in a double window you can see the frame mismatch. When will this be fixed, because this is the most important point when testing for frame comparison. The 2-frame offset error is already visible after 30,000 frames, the source has a variable frame rate. at the very beginning, about 3000 frames, there may be a mismatch of just one frame, this is just an error in the incorrect calculations of the outgoing frames. This error needs to be corrected first of all, because the whole problem in the video preview is hiding right here, in the wrong calculations. The input frame and output preview frame, in all display modes, must match under all circumstances and different input videos!
As for face distortions in the IRIS model, they are very noticeable at x4 upscale. Here is a comparison picture.

3 Likes

I do not like Iris 4x upscale because it does strange funny things to peoples faces, glasses, etc. The 2x model is MUCH less intrusive/more natural.
So I think itā€™s better to run two consecutive 2x upscales.

And yes, the different frame preview/source is a bit annoying

You can also make some kind of standard face template or do reverse reengineering of frames. If there is the same small face in the plot, but as it approaches in frames, it increases (the distant person approaches), then if you reverse the video and model the same face for reduction (the person moves away), then the model of the decreasing face should no longer be destroyed, since should already be modeling facial features. This would have been calculated correctly by AI if it had been programmed like that, but now it just sculpts anything horrible without even realizing that it created monsters. Yes, 1x and 2x are still somehow tolerable with faces, but then 4x should somehow make it more reasonable to upscale without excessive distortion. IRIS already licks small details into 2D, although this should be done in 3D (with a sequence of frames, approximating the object and removing only noise). In general, it would be correct to focus video restoration on high-quality noise removal, and on identifying defects in video, such as interlacing steps, PAL system color noise, halos, moirƩs and various defects in VHS and old cinematography, such as vertical scratches and noise spots on film with coarse grain. or film manufacturing defects.

Iā€™m addicted to weekly updates and not ready for rehab. My apologies developers.

I wholeheartedly agree with your point about the preview frame mismatch. Iā€™m guessing it must be very difficult for the devs to solve it, although I donā€™t know why (seems simple enough to a layperson).

Iā€™m going to throw in my two-cents worth here, and I could be wrong, but I believe it to be a latency issue between the Topaz executable and the FFmpeg executable. This was one of my issues for not renewing my licensee.

1 Like

Hey Ida, Just tested the latest Beta 3.4.0.0 b.
Colors are accurate with in the final file now when using any codec. Tested with H265 8 and 10 bit and also Prores 422 HQ.

But should say even in this new beta, the green tint is still there in the GUI live preview when using any 10 bit codec. Hope this is fixed eventually. But iā€™m happy the colors are accurate in the actual encode file now.

Thank you.

1 Like

From what I have been able to figure out, the preview frame mismatch comes from DVDs requiring 29.97 FPS but films being closer to 24. There are at least 6 different methods for DVDs to store 24fps videos in a 29.97 container, and there seem to be just as many methods for playing them back smoothly. (Though all of them oddly complicated and hard to understand.) I usually transcode my movies before loading them into TVAI to un-DVD-ify them. I donā€™t see any preview desynchronization once I have done that.

Digital video encodings are far more complicated than what I account for here. So itā€™s not a one-method-fixes-all. You will still find DVDs that act different and you need to figure out a solution all over again. In fact, this is probably why Topaz has not been able to get the preview fixed for everyone yet. There are just too many types of digital video encodings to account for.

Are there plans for further development of the Gaia model?
It has always had problems with this type of texture.

1 Like

Annoying bug:
When running the app in full screen, it covers the windows 11 taskbar (if the taskbar is set to hide). Meaning I have to manually resize the app window to not cover that area.

The taskbar should go on top of the app, not under.

1 Like

Agree, same issue here, been happening in a couple releases, hope this is resolved soon.

It would be nice if the presets would remember the set custom resolution instead of reverting to 0 with every new added source video.

In ā€˜interlaced progressiveā€™-mode will the IRIS model get a ā€œrecover original detailā€ slider?

I donā€™t think so. I have tried all sorts of non-DVD sources (24, 30, 25 fps), and still get preview frame mismatches. However, the fact that you can avoid the mismatches by transcoding the video is an interesting one.

I think you may be right. This would be tough to fix.