Topaz Video AI v3.3.1

Hi!
I was hesitant to purchase Video AI v3 until I read in the promotional material that it’s going to support ProRes 444 encoding: Topaz Video AI v3.0: Rebuilt with a new stabilization model, smarter workflows, and improved video enhancement capabilities (Important performance and stability improvements section)
The promise of this feature is what finally convinced me to buy the software. It was back in October (~8 months ago) and this encoding option is still not available, despite the fact that the promotional material above is still listing it.
Can I expect the addition of this codec before my 1 year license expires? (~4 months from now). I can’t see it in the roadmap anywhere.

The team is doing great work overall but I feel I must bring attention to this…

You are correct, they have updated the software so that it uses the maximum available processing resources: CPU, and GPU. It will put a strain on your system like no other software, and if there is any weak link in your system, it will become apparent.

You can use the free MSI afterburner software to turn down your GPU if you can’t afford a new PSU.

That should stop the crashing under load.

1 Like

It would be a lot slower if they didn’t use small tiling.
What kind of speed do you expect ? fps ?

After setting “None” I load some movie and little modify one of my presets. Then I set this preset as default and it works again ok.

You can have ProRes 444 encoding available for your own needs since it’s available in Ffmpeg…
Encoder prores_ks [Apple ProRes (iCodec Pro)
General capabilities: threads
Threading capabilities: frame and slice
Supported pixel formats: yuv422p10le yuv444p10le yuva444p10le
But to have it available you have to edit the video-encoders.json file and add the desired color space after -pix_fmt
It’s very easy…

1 Like

Stabilization does not work - “- Unable to write the CPE file”
2023-06-21-21-43-57-Logs.zip (36.6 KB)

Like the BETA 3.3.1 randomly pops out of full screen after minimize or goes over the taskbar in Windows 10. Have to then hit the window/maximize button again so the taskbar is visible.

Hi… A question… Before upscaling a file to hd sometimes ago I was using a Lumetri Bt601 to Bt709 with Adobe Premiere. Now I have seen that some models change the colors (like Iris) during the upscale process. My question is, Topaz mark the file as bt709 and does the color conversion too during upscaling, or not?

I would also like an official statement about colorspaces. To me, it seems like it blindly generates the colorspace conversion portions of the ffmpeg commands.

Sorry. I keep seeing comments like this and maybe lost my patience for them.
Though replying to you, I ask this to all:
What can anyone accomplish by exclaiming that? Not much.

Should it be another version? Obviously you are not talking about the version numbering.
Exactly what is wrong?

On my two machines, this version works correctly on every movie I have tried with it. I updated on Tuesday and have processed 16 45 minute videos on one machine since then. On the other machine I have processed about 50 10 second clips—my point being: from my (and many others) point of existence, there is nothing wrong to fix. All I can do at this point is: ask the inevitable question of ‘what is wrong?’, or ignore the exclamation.

4 Likes

If I set my custom preset as the default preset, the program dies after loading the input video and I have no sound on the preview and input video. This has already been described by several people here. Please fix it, because this version is so buggy.

If you made your preset on v3.3.0 or older version it probably won’t work anymore due to the changes in encoder structure. Create the preset from scratch and try again.

I also use it on two machines. Buggy on both machines! If I set my custom preset as the default preset, the program dies after loading the input video and I have no sound on the preview and input video. This has already been described by several people here.

I had a 750 with my 6950XT and it would work fine with games, With Topaz not to good. I upgraded to a 1000 watt and that fixed it.

1 Like

How many other devices do you have in this pc? Harddrives, SSD, lighting, CPU, mobo, ram? Each device pulls more power from a PSU, and I am quite sure that the 650w is the MINIMUM recommended which 9.5/10 usually means a pc with nearly zero equipment in it.

I always tell people to get no less than a 1000w PSU. You also need to remember that the 1000w USUALLY means peak power as well.

1 Like

Hi… So many times 1000w is a oversized wattage psu. I have a PC with an overclocked i7-7700k, an RTX 3070, 8 ssd, 6 hdd, 2 m.2, audio card, 4 sticks of ram, 16 Noctua ippc 3000pwm fans (12cm and 14cm), and various leds and my 600w Seasonic Titanium, during the maximum stress doesn’t go over 75% / 80% of use.

2 Likes

Basic google search shows that config, not even including the mobo, is about 1032W. That means your rig is VASTLY underpowered and is undervolting like mad crazy. Heck man, according to Noctua the 16 fans you have ALONE are 480W assuming you have them at max power of course. Your gpu is about 250 (again unless not under load), etcetc.

Since I updated to version v3.3.1, I have had no sound in Topaz at all! There is no sound on the input video, there is no sound in the preview video file and the exported video file. There is video, but no sound. I tried it with several versions of Topaz (including beta), the same problem with all of them. Before I updated to this version v3.3.1 everything was fine.

1 Like

I have no idea where you got 480watts for 16 Noctua fans… The fans use at max 3.6watts each.
https://noctua.at/en/nf-f12-industrialppc-3000-pwm/specification

That’s 57.6 watts for 16 fans. That also assumes they are running at max speed since they are variable fans. 600w PSU for a 7700k and 3070 seems fine.

PSU wear out like everything else. Also quality does matter for PSUs.

On the other hand 1000w PSU for modern PCs can be justified. PSUs are most efficient at around 50% load. Plus current GPUs can pull a lot more power. My 7900 XTX pulls 400+ watts while playing Diablo 4. It only pulls 150-180 watts when running VAI though…

My PC pulls 500-600 watts while gaming, just passed peak efficiency of my 1000w Silverstone plat. PSU.

Also, it was discovered Nvidia Ampere GPUs can have very high spikes pushing PSUs to reset or trip various protection features. There are some good videos on this from Gamers Nexus on YouTube.

1 Like

So I also wrote that I have 1000 watts and a very reliable power supply. How did you read?So I also wrote that I have 1000 watts and a very reliable power supply. You didn’t read well!