Topaz Video AI v3.2.6

Yep, here too, Macbook with M2 Max, latest update rendered Video AI completely useless since every encoding and preview results in the red X. This doesn’t look very good…

Hi Richard,

Having spoken to Ida @ Topaz support about this, I had to do a full uninstall of v3.2.6 (I use AppCleaner which will delete plists etc) and then I re-downloaded the app as there was a fix added for the error issue. Upon re-installing and re-creating the profile I normally use, I now have it up and running and batch encoding a number of files without the error issue, so if you do the same it should sort out that problem.

Hi!

We have upgraded from Video AI version 3.2.3 to 3.2.6 and we have found that when rescaling an HD EXR sequence to 4K EXR, the new sequence always omits the last 2 files after the job is finished. This is something that did not happen in version 3.2.3. Regards.

Seeing a huge CPU usage spike in ffmpeg.exe in task manager when previewing, this was not in 3.2.4 (i didnt test 3.2.5 so it could have been there as well). Is this part of the new color correction? I didnt have this problem before and its bogging my system down.

Hi Guys!
What about Scene change detection in Chronos? Should be an easy task for the Topaz team.

Topaz Video AI  v3.2.6
System Information
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor              63.923 GB
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX  23.945 GB
Processing Settings
device: 0 vram: 1 instances: 1
Input Resolution: 1920x1080
Benchmark Results
Artemis		1X: 	20.37 fps 	2X: 	09.84 fps 	4X: 	02.49 fps 	
Proteus		1X: 	19.87 fps 	2X: 	09.06 fps 	4X: 	02.37 fps 	
Gaia		1X: 	10.58 fps 	2X: 	06.87 fps 	4X: 	02.60 fps 	
4X Slowmo		Apollo: 	18.83 fps 	APFast: 	42.67 fps 	Chronos: 	13.83 fps 	CHFast: 	21.32 fps 	

Being worked on:

Thanks!

1 Like

… which reminds me, there’s a recent Ideas thread for an option to fill in missing frames, in which I’ve commented there and on a previous occasion.

Well, scene change detection would of course require TVAI to identify sudden changes in frame content - which is exactly what would be needed to pick up ‘missing frames’ in a dynamic scene, but with different settings. Big scene changes for a real scene change, very small changes for a missing frame which, once identified, could be interpolated.

TVAI would have to continuously monitor the rate of content change from frame to frame and be able to pick it up if that rate suddenly increased then immediately returned to its previous rate. So it might be a slow process and usable only for short clips but still, we’d have the option.

The frame preceding a sudden jump could then be marked/noted by TVAI and the next (missing) frame interpolated either at the same time or in a subsequent run. It wouldnt work on static scenes with no movement but that shouldn’t be an issue as missing frames then are not usually noticeable anyway: movement is the problem.

I believe this could be done, with controls to adjust the degree of sensitivity as with removing dups, and it would be an important enhancement for many people who are sensitive to missing frames as well as dups - both being especially annoying when using Apollo or Chronos. I linked to a couple of examples of scripts intended to do just this, in the ideas thread.

So please, Topaz, let’s have both! Scene change detection first, and then missing frame detection and interpolation. :wink:

1 Like

Hi, I’ve stuck with version 2.6.4 for a long time on an AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with a GeForce RTX 3060 and 8GB of ram, would 3.2.6 be an improvement worth investing in?

Many thanks for any input.

It’s a wait and see thing for me. I read the forum and continue to see problems others are experiencing with that latest version, which leads me to believe the software should still be in the beta testing phase, and not a commercial release. I won’t pay good money to be a beta tester. Once I see measurable improvement, I’ll consider upgrading, but not until then. Through this process, I’ve learned that AI is nowhere close to taking SD video and upscaling to content, which rivals material originally mastered in 4K or higher. I got caught-up in the AI hype. The few television shows that I’ve upscaled are basically enlarged versions of the same thing, and nothing like I imagined when I first bought the software. Granted, it looks a little better, but nothing like content originally mastered in 4K.

2 Likes

That was the reason for my question. I’ve still been seeing people commenting on issues, and no-one saying that this latest version or any other version is a significant improvement in either quality or speed.

I’ve been upscaling old TV shows and films, and while there is an improvement, the best I can do is a 2x upscale. The software is not yet at the level I expected when I first got swept up by the AI video upscaling hype.

6 Likes

3.2.x is 2x faster than 2.6.4 and have few new interesting improvement but if You must pay to have new version I think it is better to wait for version with face and text model improvement.

2 Likes

And that will not happen in the next few years.

You see with your eyes… the program can’t do that, everything has to be estimated about what it is… should it be enhanced or attenuated. Is it noise or detail.
What Topaz video AI can do is amazing.

But I have a few things I would like to see:
1.) Please keep the zoom and position x,y for all rendered clips. It makes no sense to save the zoom for each clip, because if I want to compare different settings it sucks if x,y and zoom are always different.
2.) Please a ‘Save project’ and ‘Load project’ option.
3.) A dream would be a trim batch list, where several trims of a clip are processed.

Topaz keep up the good work!

2 Likes

When exporting TIF files program deletes all completed frames if there is no space left. I have preferred images to have something to use WHEN the program collapses or in a situation like this. I could use those TIFs to build a video.

I cannot crop a video and do frame interpolation on this release. I get an error message every time and have tried Chronos, Chronos Fast, Apollo & Apollo Fast. I can do regular (no crop) upscale (Proteus) and frame interpolation, but only with Apollo Fast. Everything else instantly gives me an error. I’m running on a Mac Studio M1 Ultra.

1 Like

Hello,

I get fully black frames with the Enhancement Theia Fine Tune Fidelity, at maximum revert compression and sharpen. Try with this video : dancer1.webm (editly-assets/dancer1.webm at main · mifi/editly-assets · GitHub).

At one point previews generate an error (red X) and tell me to contact the support, and when I restart the app and try again it is working fine.

Same and same! Errors left and right with normal .mp4s on M1 machines.

My Proteus model does not work (AT ALL). I keep getting a Red Cross.
Intel Mac 2.9Ghz Quad i7. OSX 11.7.5
Intel HD Graphics 630
Radeon Pro 560

All else is ok.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 minutes. New replies are no longer allowed.