Topaz Video AI v3.2.0

3060 ti/Ryzen 7 5800x/Win 10/32GB memory.

I’m fine with the benchmarks. I already posted my results at 288p, 2x upscale and they are 3.3 times faster than 2.6.4.

But I just did some 2x upscales on 1920p video/25 fps using Artemis High. I see 8.1 fps reported (checked with a stop watch from completion of model load) and this compares with 9.15 fps on the benchmark, so 11% slower. But there are many vagaries I didn’t try to correct for: which other system resources are in use, what if any caching is included, the length of video being converted and so on. Also, which version of Artemis do the benchmarks use?

GPU load in GPU-Z was 83 to 90% average and CPU was 85% to 100% and I suspect that the differences I see may relate to those issues and what else the system is doing. So I’m fine with the 3.2 speeds, which are much faster than 2.6.4.

As for quality, on Artemis High I can see no colour, brightness or contrast changes at all on A/B comparison, including single frame pixel peeping, though I don’t usually do that None at all. I do not use other upscaling models.

Hi Yazi:
See attached.

logsForSupport.tar.gz (1.4 MB)

1 Like

Removed 3,2,0. I put 3,1,11 again. I converted the same file. It got worse. I don’t understand anything!

2 Likes

What I understood. If you re-download the old version to your computer, it will no longer work 100% like the old version you had before you installed the update. Unfortunately, there is no time machine!
So, I go back to version 3,2,0
When increasing freeze frames, I saw on ArtemisHQ the difference is that in version 3,1,11 the image was darker and had a slightly green color. At version 3,2,0, the image became slightly lighter and shifted to the red spectrum

Posting screenshot comparisons to back up all your statements would be helpful, otherwise it’s just ranting. SHOW the difference/loss of quality!

1 Like

It is better to download these two screenshots and switch them back and forth in the browser

1 Like

This is just an artifact issue with Proteus in general, they really need to fix it. It’s been an issue forever, I personally use v2.6.4 and still deal with it, mainly with more extreme values, but even 100% denoise can cause it to appear.

1 Like
Topaz Video AI  v3.2.0
System Information
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor    31.915 GB   @4.18GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060               11.845 GB   @1.84GHz
Processing Settings: device: 0 vram: 1 instances: 0
Input Resolution: 1920x1080
Benchmark Results
Artemis		1X: 9.34 fps 	2X: 6.88 fps 	4X: 2.27 fps 	
Proteus		1X: 9.13 fps 	2X: 6.72 fps 	4X: 2.27 fps 	
Gaia		1X: 2.98 fps 	2X: 2.05 fps 	4X: 1.40 fps 	
4X Slowmo		Apollo: 12.08 fps 	Chronos: 7.16 fps 	Chronos Fast: 11.64 fps 	

Look at her hair. Why did you add noise (grain)? Grain is needed for those who work with very bad video so that the conversion does not look too synthetic. No Grain is required for high-quality video. Look around you. Do you see at least a little bit of Grain? In nature, Grain does not exist…

1 Like

v3.2.0 looks a little brighter

1 Like

Not brighter, but illuminated. Dark should be dark, not gray

4 Likes

Edit: hair and skin are probably the trickiest parts for any model to enhance.

Hopefully now the speed is satisfactory they can train some new model revisions for us.

1 Like

Yet it has long been known! As old as the world. You will increase speed, you will degrade the quality

1 Like

How do I get back the quality I had in the previous version?

Use previous version and you should be able to download older models if you dig around the forums people have already posted where to get all the models from. Probably you only need to use the previous Apollo version since they haven’t stated there have been any changes to Artemis.

Rather that “price of speed,” it should be “price of upgrade” versus quality.

The version before had a faulty frame interpolation that inserted only black frames making a constant flicker. Is that issue solved in this version? I will check that anyway! The speed improvement is great, only the Gaia and Proteus 1x are slower than 3.1.9 now. :slight_smile:

edit:

• in my first attempt to use the 3.2.0 the preview button does not do anything right from start.
  • when i started processing the 2ns time the preview windows stayed black.
  • the preview does not follow the processing properly

1 Like

I want to know why mediainfo shows me 12,5Mbs, if in the program settings I have a maximum bitrate of 180Mbs?

I’ve been a very vocal advocate of saying Topaz released version 3 way to early.
But I must say they have put a lot of work and effort into the software in the last 6 months and the program to me is now what I consider viable for video work.
Yes some of the models need improvement (more training) and it’s not fully polished but the majority of complaints I see are down to people’s system setup and expectations beyond what AI can do with a source video thats poor quality.
Keep up the good work.

Above is 3.2 with proteus Relative to Auto. Pretty good in my opinion.

5 Likes

not necessarily it might work if you do windows system restore just a thought