Topaz Video AI v3.1 – faster exports, faster playback, and new Motion Deblur model

I’m having crashes, memory shortages, and running hot even an hour after the application was closed. Submitting all details via Dropbox.

It is using more of your GPU, which by definition will cause more heat. You are likely NOT overheating, but if you are concerned about it download something like istats or tg pro and take a look at your temps, and check online for what “high” temps are for your model. Heat is just a byproduct of technology actually doing work, and in older versions of this tool people would have to run 2-3+ instances to actually tax their GPU… with this speed increase that is no longer needed (or less needed) and now all cards will be used more and therefore taxed more and therefore make more heat.

You would likely hear the same amount of fans and all if you were gaming, so yeah, get a temp monitoring program if you worried, otherwise your pc is doing what it is supposed to do and increasing the fan speeds to help keep your pc parts cool.

If your pc is still having heat issues and memory issues AFTER the app is closed, then your pc has issues, perhaps a fan is dead or you have a lot of dust in the heatsinks and it is having problems cooling down after it gets hot. I would certainly take the time to look up how to clean out your pc online and do that before you go any further.

I will include this. If you have an active export going and you try to move the preview slider to see finished work, it takes about 20-25 seconds to show a picture. I assume that is because it is loading from the temp file being used that has data being written to it from ffmpeg at the same time, but figured it was worth a mention.

1 Like

I agree, the new motion deblur is really, really bad. I’ve tried it on several videos and the results are just terrible with lots of weird artifacts.

2 Likes

Each time I have tried it, I did in concert with other filters, upscale to 4k or enhancements AIs… wonder if it is supposed to be run sans anything else… THEN you come back and change what you want… but if I want to do noise suppression then it kind of makes it totally worthless to me.

1 Like

I also used it in combination with other enhancements. Could be it’ll give better results if used alone, although that shouldn’t be necessary. I agree, it’s completely worthless for now.

1 Like

We have not reduced or optimized the AI models themselves, so model quality should remain identical to earlier versions.

Running the executable for v. 3.1, I was prompted whether to delete saved presets for AI models and parameters. Following installation, I’ve noticed the saved AI model parameters are the same, but the results are much stronger (e.g., Recover Details, Sharpen, etc.), at least with the Proteus model.

This isn’t a change in the models?

Thanks for your work on this version.

Hi, I use Macs Fan Control to get more control over fan speed / temp and highly recommend it. I have the base spec. Mac Studio. I would imagine with your Ultra you could upscale SD to HD in real time? I can get around 16 fps with a single video (i.e. without trying parallel processing).

Thanks.

Andy

it still allows the computer to sleep during export.

Aside from the fact that Video AI is a half baked product still (and you really should have extended the support period for the owners to at least get some more fixes in), I REALLY don’t appreciate that I started up the app today, and it has an “update available” button. I think, “oh how nice of them!”) and proceed to install it. Once done I start the App and I’m told that my license is expired. Really? You can’t at any point prior to that warn that installing this will not work if your license is expired, and that you will then have to go to the webpage to locate and revert to an older version?

5 Likes

I’m getting freezing as well when the video hits around 93% or so. I have to close the program. Hopefully this gets fixed in the next version. It’s happened with artemis and also with proteus, but not 100% of the time. Not sure how to reproduce the bug.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s really annoying that they get you to update only to tell you that you can’t use it. As pdl59 says, since yours expired in december, you can go to the website and log in, then look at your products, and see you have an option to download 3.0.12, so you can have both Video AI 3.012 and Video Enhance 2.6.4 at same time, just nothing newer until you pay for another year of support.

Hey there …

first check 3.1, all in all x2.5 faster for my DVD video upscale 740pixel x2 to 1440pixel.
i use proteus with an intel-8core and rtx3070. processor 60% and graphics 60% load → result 25fps (in version 3.0.12 both 30% load → 10fps)
→ so good work !

the new theia-model and also the deblure (i try some adjustments) but its not working for me.

cu

I have GTX 1650 (W10, 32GB RAM, i5-6500) and can see also significantly slower speed - e.g. Proteus Enhancement of the same video, 10-12 fps in last 3.0 version and now it is 4-5fps. Proteus+Chronos Fast for another video, old version 0.4fps, new version 0.2fps. Strange is that CPU load is only about 40 % and GPU the same, it seems this it is the reason for the decrease of the speed, it does not use the power it could.
I checked the settings and everything is the same like before.

I have a problem with the new update. I have 2 GPUs installed in my PC - RTX 3090 and GTX 1080 Ti. I’ve selected RTX 3090 as the processor in the program’s preferences. However, the new “Motion Deblur” feature always uses my 1080 Ti. How do I make it use the far more powerful RTX 3090?

UPDATE: If I connect my monitors to the RTX 3090 GPU instead of the 1080 Ti, the problem goes away. It seems that it uses the GPU that’s connected to the monitors instead of the one selected in the preferences. Please fix this.

1 Like

Ok, the 4K movie I was enhancing finished, and unfortunately looks like the app crashes at 99%, so that bug is STILL not fixed correctly. I had one movie finish without the crash in 3.0.12, but so far all have crashed in 3.1.

2 Likes

Another thing I notice is that the “Motion Deblur” feature decreases the image quality a lot. It adds dozens of faint horizontal stripes all across the picture and it also makes the detail disappear. It also posterizes the image a bit. Is anyone else noticing this? For me this model is basically useless in it’s current state.

5 Likes

Another post about speed. Doing another 4k movie, this time I thought I would speed it up to 50p, and that slowed this down ONLY A LITTLE!! So I went from about 2.0-2.3fps without the chronos, to 1.9-2.0fps with it, that is pretty darn good right there!

Mine freezes and crashes when it has finished processing but is writing the final file. Hours of work, lost, every single time.

2 Likes