Topaz Video AI v3.1 – faster exports, faster playback, and new Motion Deblur model

To understand what you describe:
In my TVAI installation a tmp-file is written and accessible at any time during prossing the video.
At the end I have both a tmp-file and the final mp4 output.
Sometimes TVAI closes (is that what you consider to be a crash?),
sometimes it remains open and I can see how long processing was working but nothing happens further more (is that what you consider as a freeze?).

I have two different outcomes. Sometimes TVAI just sits there, doing nothing. The countdown clock and frames/sec do not change and it’s clear its not processing. It can sit in this state indefinitely and nothing happens. The two files are still there, and not usable.

Other times, it gets to the end of processing and the app crashes with an “unexpectedly quit”. Again, it leaves behind two files that are not usable.

So, yes, the same as you describe.

very strange, because in my case both files are usable.

Are you on a Mac or PC? I’m on a Mac; and video files generally have to be “wrapped up” when finished writing so that the data is readable. None of my apps or utilities can access the video in the temp files until they are finalized.

I’m on PC with Windows 11

I find that when using motion blur removal with old interlaced footage. the horizontal lines are replaced by vertical lines in some frames and and it enhances the noise in the picture thinking it is detail. The images have more focus but with added lines and enhanced noise on a deblurred image it makes the film look worse. On newer footage I don’t get these effects as much depending on the film. I am very excited to see more models and features you have planned with improvements to Video Ai. It is making it possible to restore and upscale footage that is deteriorated over the years. I would like to see models for old 8 and 16 mm film also. the old footage I had on film, the current models don’t do much to them except remove some of the noise.

1 Like

I really hope Topaz will extend the license for paid subscribers until this is fixed, because right now we’re paying to be beta testers.

5 Likes

I’m using PC and Mac but notice on PC, the program always closes itself once finished and leaves an identical sized file ( so I have x2 full size files and need to delete one) where the Mac just finishes as normal and the program doesn’t close.
Is the PC version crashing right at the end as the file(s) finish and play just fine and i can’t see any setting anywhere where I can check/uncheck to close the program once finished?

Also, If anyones interested in benchmarks, for me this update has had a great speed increase.
Same files using the same settings (standard 1080 HD .mp4 files just using Artemis Denoise/Sharpen) has almost doubled the fps export speed.

Mac Studio Ultra 20 core cpu / 64 core gpu / 64GB ram (now left trailing in the dust to the PC!): approx 13.7fps
PC with i9-12900KS/ 4090gpu / 64GB ram: approx 26.7fps

1 Like

Great for performance. But can you please think about quality of life on the next release?

1. Batch processing: dragging the a group of files into the program leaves only the first video selected to process. Not a good approach for batch processing. Have to manually select all.
  2. Where is the option to put suffixes or prefixes to the names of the output files by default?.
  3. Do I have to reselect all my settings everytime I close the app? Am I being forced to create profiles now?

Here I’m using an old GTX 1050TI and the update 3.1 make my renders almost 4x slower… It made my normal routine render drops from 0.4 fps to 0.1 fps.
Returned the 3.0.12 version.

1 Like

I am getting a lot of OUT OF MEMORY failures on renders. The one before it renders fine, the one after it renders fine. Total processes set to one (1). I’m on a 32GB memory Mac Studio, and there is more than 12GB free, what Out of Memory is it referencing?

Edit: I’m referencing this in v3.1.0 when the memory errors began. v3.0.11 it was fine. I could run 2 instances and two(2) versions of Video AI side by side for 4 processes total, and have other apps running, with 26GB used, and nothing would fail.

Hi Matt - what TVAI memory / processing settings were you using to get 13.7fps on the Mac Studio? I have just the base spec. Mac Studio. I found the worst performance was using the default (Auto) and memory settings. It increased by around 25% when choosing either M1 or CPU and setting memory to 33% or less (maybe different on yours). Also, when you say standard 1080HD, I assume that’s the output rather than input?

The most annoying thing is that in v3.0.12 and lower, I could get just over 25fps in total by running 6 processes of SD to HD / artemis (using 2 instances of TVAI due to the limit of 4 per instance). Now in v3.1 there is no benefit in running parallel processes so overall speed has decreased significantly in v3.1.

Thanks.

Andy

@07broom.fibulae Andy, similar here. v3.0.12 and lower I could run 3 instances of TVAI all with 2 processes each. They would run slow, but cumulative it would process more per watt/hour and it ran smoothly on a base 32GB Mac Studio. Even with 3 parallel running apps, using all that memory, I could still use the system and run several other apps with no “Out of Memory” failures for vids. v3.1 I got 3 failed vids in 1 app, running 1 app. It was the 5th 6th an 7th video out of a 12 video queue.

Edit: after further testing, I’m still unsure what the out of memory errors are about. I did adjust Total Memory to 90%, then set 4 process limit, then began my work, to my SURPRISE, all 4 processes ran at FULL speed, instead of 70% speed doubled, and even slower in prior versions. This may reduce the amount of concurrent running applications and just let a single GUI do 4x videos at a time. Cool.

1 Like

Question on how to process Cartoons in Topaz 3.1

I have been using Topaz 2.6.4 with Artemis Medium (noise) to process some Looney Tunes cartoons - which turn out great!

I would love to use Topaz 3.1 since it’s a lot faster, but have not figured out the exact models and setting to use.

I tried using Artemis in 3.1 but it produces videos with lots of random blocks.

I think I should use something with CG if I can duplicate what 2.6.4 Artemis Medium did in 2.6.4

Any advice on what models to use and settings?

Thanks!

Mike

Hi, I have a GTX 1660 and the speeds of the latest versions are much slower too. Compared to 2.6.4 it’s day and night (0.12 spf with 2.6.4 and 1 - 2 spf with 3.1) I think it’s because we have GTX cards, the RTX end up with better performance but not the GTX.

2 Likes

speed is for sure better but
seems de-interlace not as good,just sayin

i was testing, and i have some isues in speed

• i have a 6950xt and 16gb of ram
    the video starts with a great speed, almost 14fps/s, and after some time, like a minute, the speed slowly start to decrase, and have the same speed for the old veai 3.0, almost 2 or 3 fps

I’ve been using the recent v3 betas with significant speed increases.
However I have just carried out a x2 upscale with stable version 3.1.0 and it has encoded the audio with the HDMV codec. I used H265 main 10.
The resulting video is great, but I cannot reproduce the audio with any player, and cannot find the HDMV codec to download. Even VLC complains!!
The beta encoded the audio as AAC LC, which is ok audio wise.
Is there any way to change this in the software, and has anyone come across the HDMV codec?
I’m using Windows 11.

Am I alone in wanting the ability to change the interface from timestamps to frame number? I really need the ability to fully stop an upscale (not just pause) and then resume. In 2.6.4 it was easy to identify which frame you left off on and pick up right from there, but in 3.1 there’s no timestamps vs. frames toggle so it isn’t possible

2 Likes

Already a planned feature, just a matter of when.