Topaz Video AI v3.1 – faster exports, faster playback, and new Motion Deblur model

I updated it and it didn’t show an option to keep the old version and it has removed the Apollo model. So thats seems to be a downgrade in terms of frame interpolation as that Apollo model was added to give increased quality of interpolation - especially non-linear interpolation (better than the Chronos models). It’s shame that’s been downgraded in what is otherwise meant to be an upgrade without it giving an option to keep the existing version when installing the new version. Maybe I could have changed it to a different folder for it to keep the older version too (it did show a folder option when I pressed the back button which it didn’t seem to show originally but didn’t give options for “keep current version” in the installation menu).

Is there any info on when that Apollo model that’s now been removed will be added again?

Also didn’t there used to be more than 2 Chronos models? It shows just Chronos and Chronos Fast - were there not more Chronos models than that before?

I also don’t see a ProRes 4444 output option. Hopefully that will be added one day in the PC version (and without having to edit json files).

Also in video enhance AI it used to have an option to quickly compare 3 models to the original one upcaled. There doesn’t seem to be a quick “compare” type option in this. It would help if there was I think.

Also is the new “motion deblur” option using Themis before the interpolation option in the chain? If so, is that helping with the interpolation (if interpolation was wanted by the user) or potentially making it worse?

ie. in a motion blurred frame the motion blur contains where things were at every time point when the shutter was open. By removing a lot of the motion blur from the frame before the interpolator sees it aren’t you giving the interpolating model less time info for it to work with?

eg. if time points 1, 2 and 3 were blended together into 1 frame (showing motion blur) it might be that the frame interpolation can see that the object has moved through the different points where the motion blur was. If the motion blur is removed before the interpolator sees it isn’t it going to have a harder time knowing what points an object passed through during that frame while the shutter was open (because with less blur it’s like a much shorter shutter time)?

If the motion blur would help with the interpolation and deblurring isn’t after the interpolation then maybe the place in the chain could be changed. Or maybe the user could have the option of where it is placed in the processing chain (if there are advantages and disadvantages for both positions in the chain - before and after the interpolation).

Another option would be if one AI model could do both de-blurring and interpolation (eg. like Apollo) in one go (where both are wanted by the user) - it might give better results that way.

1 Like

Nice !!! My 3080 is gonna be happy.
Thank you for the improvements :slight_smile:

The Gaia CG model stopped working properly quite some time ago. The last time that model functioned well, and actually worked really well on CG, was around 1.5.3, after that, there were changes made that caused it to mostly break for what it was good at and Topaz has not been interested in touching the Gaia models in a very long time.

It won’t help with the new features, and speed improvements etc, but if you have the chance to try it in 1.5.3 you may like the results better, otherwise with Anime, Proteus usually works well on it with tweaking the settings manually.

6 Likes

3.0.12 isn’t affected either

You can download 3.0.12 from here: Topaz Video AI v3.0.12

Incredible job. A work that used to take more than 12 hours now lasts 7 hours. I will see the final result tomorrow and tell you how good it was, but I didn´t think that the improvement was going to be so dramatic! Thank you :heart:

Edit: Nah, I got happy too fast. It took the same :frowning:

Hardware doesn´t help in my case.

I might be blind, but I can’t find it. Where did you find it?

Never mind, found it too :rofl:

Thank you i already found it. Also got a 30$ discount link yesterday , which makes the renew tempting :sweat_smile:

I must be on a completely different planet from others. The 3.1 update is CONSIDERABLY SLOWER here. I downloaded the update to try before purchasing the license renewal.

I’m using VAI mostly to deinterlace and denoise old family DV and VHS footage, occasionally upscaling. On my main computer, W10, I7-4770k, 16gb with GTX-1660 Super, on V2 I can process at .11 sec per frame. With V3.0, .13 secs per frame, and now with 3.1, its .5 sec per frame - almost 4x SLOWER. What the heck? I’ve tried several files with different CODECS, and various settings in the software to no avail. I loaded it onto an older machine with a GTX-1650, and the same speed degradation happens there as well. Really disappointing.

Any ideas? Yes, it would be nice to have newer hardware, but it’s worked reasonably well enough until now, for my needs, on what I have.

3 Likes

It’s exporting significantly faster, but now it keeps freezing completely as it gets near the end.

1 Like

I would say check your Preferences in case they reset, make sure it has the correct AI processor selected and also that memory is NOT set to 100% (maybe 75-90% depending if you want to use the pc while this runs). I saw a pretty marked improvement when I selected my 3080 directly instead of auto and then put my memory to 85%. Since then I have put it lower at 75% and I can completely use my pc, even play some games… while I do a 4k video at 2.3fps.

1 Like

So, I am highly likely NOT the normal user of this product, I like to remove grain, nearly completely, from my movies, upscale to 4k, make some corrections, etc… one of the things I have noticed is the Reduce Noise has to be turned up maybe 2x higher in 3.x than in 2.6.x, however, the deblur tool did not seem to change much, or was reduced. In movies where I have to turn that reduce noise up a bit, the videos natural blurry really starts to come out, but the deblur tool does not allow me to go past 100, where I am betting 120 or 130 would be perfect.

Again, I know MY tastes are not standard or even normal, but I do ask that at least on the deblur slider if we can have a way to turn it up past 100. I am “cleaning up” Interstellar right now, and am surprised that even with minimal noise removal, the movie is quite blurry, and deblur at 100 just is not quite enough. Also if I use the new deblur it just makes everything flat plastic with literal sharp noses… so that is out.

hi, when i preview video with a artemis model, I get an AI Error. it repeat with below:

• Error message from AI engine: model failed.
  • Error message from AI engine: download failed.

Can I download proper model from a model repository(if it exist) ?, so i can use proxy to download it from browser.

Very happy with the render speed increase but… I can now hear my Mac Studio Ultra while using Topaz Video AI where I never could with previous versions and it feels noticeably hotter to the the touch now and tempo shows 75°C.
Is that making my Mac run too hot?

I’m having crashes, memory shortages, and running hot even an hour after the application was closed. Submitting all details via Dropbox.

It is using more of your GPU, which by definition will cause more heat. You are likely NOT overheating, but if you are concerned about it download something like istats or tg pro and take a look at your temps, and check online for what “high” temps are for your model. Heat is just a byproduct of technology actually doing work, and in older versions of this tool people would have to run 2-3+ instances to actually tax their GPU… with this speed increase that is no longer needed (or less needed) and now all cards will be used more and therefore taxed more and therefore make more heat.

You would likely hear the same amount of fans and all if you were gaming, so yeah, get a temp monitoring program if you worried, otherwise your pc is doing what it is supposed to do and increasing the fan speeds to help keep your pc parts cool.

If your pc is still having heat issues and memory issues AFTER the app is closed, then your pc has issues, perhaps a fan is dead or you have a lot of dust in the heatsinks and it is having problems cooling down after it gets hot. I would certainly take the time to look up how to clean out your pc online and do that before you go any further.

I will include this. If you have an active export going and you try to move the preview slider to see finished work, it takes about 20-25 seconds to show a picture. I assume that is because it is loading from the temp file being used that has data being written to it from ffmpeg at the same time, but figured it was worth a mention.

1 Like