Topaz Video AI v3.1.7

Yes Joe, I’m pretty much the same. Converting VHS boxing from 70s/80s and finding either Chronos Fast or the newest Apollo seem to handle the constant, and sometimes fast, motion.

i’ll wait until its more updates to see if i can keep more detail

1 Like

i’ll just wait for more updates i want as much details kept when upgrading to 60

1 Like

Still it is impossible to install v3.1.7 for me :frowning:

The setup outputs “An error occurred while attempting to create the directory. C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI”

I can use the standard directory - error.

I can use a custom directory (on a different harddrive) - error, showing the same message.

Maybe there is a default string used somewhere, that DOES NOT allow to install the files in a different directory than the one on C:?

Help would be very much appreciated. (Giga Pixel / Photo AI do not show this behavior and install easily.)

I went back through those tests, and compared them to the original clip. There is some blurring that, to me, just gets rid of the grain. BUT, that’s all from the H265 24 CRF setting I used to make them small enough to upload. If I put the CRF down to 14 it looks mostly like the original except the grain happens different. That’s the best way I can describe it. Personally, I don’t like film grain, so I consider the removal of it an improvement.

@nipun.nath Logs uploaded to drop box.

It’s not a big downgrade from what i can see but its there the blurring i can notice it ,i don’t like grain either but i need it to keep my quality as high as can be

I work with old shows so i need that extra grain they have for my shows to upscale to hd great

I really do wanna upgrade to all shows to 60 while keeping the grain

I think your best option would be to add grain back in after all the upscaling and frame interpolation. TVAI has that functionality and big grain doesn’t look as high of quality anyway.

Apollo has many problems, and if you are looking for fidelity you will have to use Chronos (Fast).

+1 to this. It’s absolutely essential to be able to compare different models next to each other. Switching back and forth between previews is not helpful. I need the previews to work like in 2.6.4 where I can queue up to 4 different models and settings and compare them all. One improvement would be to preview either 2 models/settings or 4. I also like how when you zoomed in and moved around, it would move each preview so you could focus on a specific area like a face. This really should be implemented. The old way was perfect. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

5 Likes

Sorry, but you can’t compare anything on the Topaz app preview, because everything will be different on the big screen. In order to understand something, you need to compile a 3-minute clip from your video, where there will be dark and light scenes, close-ups and panoramas, fast and slow camera movement…
And when you drive such a clip on all models, and compare the conclusions on the big screen 30-40 times, then you can understand something…
And further, if you find the best option, then you will convert all further clips of this type only in this way…
There is a hint from my experience. If you want to convert something to 4K60fps, then there is a single option Apollo+Artemis Hight…
And, although provide you with 10 preview windows, even if you give you a hologram, even if you broadcast floodlights on the clouds, nothing will change. Because there is one best option for each type of video. Find it, and do not clog the brains of developers. Let them better focus on improved video quality.

2 Likes

Despite the Apollo problems you claim, Apollo is the only model that converts videos to 60fps correctly. Cronos, if there is camera movement in the frame,100% distort the clip with some ugly flicker in the background.

Well I do agree that if video quality keeps getting improved, there won’t be much to compare, so I’m all for that!

I also do not like grain, I think we might be a very rare bunch, and also struggle with how much grain removal can I get while still making things crisp and detailed. I do find Proteus with the Reduce Noise and the Deblur both pretty high as well as recover details can get me pretty darn good results. I cheat a little so far… I get to a scene that has easily definable faces or objects, then set proteus to manual and do an estimate, then just play with my noise and deblur bars some to dial it in. Oddly the older black and white movies do WAY better than the 70s-90s movies as it is weird that the colors really makes it more difficult to clean up.

I’ll be honest, it would be very cool if we could select sections of the videos to use different settings on, for instance if I have just parts of my film that are noiser or need totally different models thrown at it, but only portions… it would be nice to be able to select those times and set for different settings. I might want to use Chronos slower sections, the Apollo on high motion scenes or something like that, or really crank up noise removal on dark scenes where in light scenes it would make things look plasticy. blah, blah, blah.

Different people see things differently. I never used the comparison feature, because I could tell right away what I liked or didn’t like when I ran a single preview on any particular video. I also know from experience that most of the time Artemis smoothes the image too much for my liking, Gaia HQ keeps all the details but can add noise or distort details with some low res videos, and Proteus is somewhere in between. None of the models can match Gaia HQ under ideal circumstances - low noise, good quality and at least 720p source resolution.

1 Like

Not sure if this have been reported yet, but the source is a tiff sequence, the input frame rate cannot be changed.

I realize I’m doing PNG here, but it should be the same for tiff…

I’ve talked about Apollo’s problems, and I’ve talked about Chronos Fast’s. You keep emphasizing the problems with Chronos Fast, but the problems are substantially all there, and what you choose is ultimately a personal choice.

Thanks. Perhaps I wrongly expressed the issue. What I meant is that when you change the fps, the change is not shown in the GUI until you load another clip or close the software and start it again.

You seem to be replying to the wrong person.