Topaz Video AI v3.1.5

I convert music videos to 4k120fps. They have a lot of dynamic scenes. Apollo does more or less well. Chronos Fast on moving background structures makes marriage unacceptable!

1 Like

That’s certainly possible if you are in the US or somewhere with the same TV standards. It used to be the case that US players and TVs would not play 25/50 fps video natively (money grabbing commercial interests were probably the reason) but from what I’ve read, at least some can do that now - you’d have to check the specs to find out.

Here in Europe, all TVs and players have been able to handle 24/25/29.97/30 fps and their multiples natively for as long as I can remember so I assumed yours would too but it might not; check the specs.

EDIT: An afterthought - if it can’t do 25 fps natively it might do 24 fps, that’s worth checking because the usual thing with that is to slow down 25 fps v ideo to 24, just change the frame rate not the frames. Seems that going from 24 to 25 or 25 to 24 is imperceptible to the human eye unless you play them side by side. Many movies do exactly that.

1 Like

Yes I’ve had this happen twice now. The GUI goes along fine processing the video I gave it, then suddenly the GUI disappears. In one case it left behind a partial file of the completed video as well as the entire temporary file. In that case I just deleted the partial and used the temporary file, which seemed to be complete. In the second case, there was no partial file at all – only the temporary file, and again, it seems to be complete (it plays and it is upscaled) although there really is no way to know aside from inspecting video properties (MediaInfo) & watching the entire video. Yet version 3.1.4 did not do this. The software never fails to disappoint – still not ready for prime time!

I live in Ukraine. I have a Philips TV, made in Belgium, full HD, 2008. I dream that if I stay alive after the Russian occupation, one day I will buy a 120fps TV. Love the very smooth video. Therefore, now I convert all my materials to 4k60fps, if they are movies, or to 120fps, if they are music videos.

[image]

6 Likes

I’ve lived in Nikopol, Dnipropetrovsk and Kyiv :+1:

Keep safe.

2 Likes

The original source is 640x480, have you done any resizing by Proteus? Or is it just noise reduction?
If it is accompanied by resizing, I found something wrong with TVAI’s behavior.

Has anyone tried TVAI v3.1.5 running on MacOS Ventura 3.2? Is it stable?
(Others have reported v3.1.2 and v3.1.4 have critical issues on this version of MacOS)

Ok, just found @altern’s report from 5 days ago.
(Concerning stability on a Intel MacPro 2019)

I did both things. The colour loss was similar in both cases.

I tried a few things.
“Process” - “Show Export Command” to see what options are set for FFMPEG.

In this test case, since the video is in 640x480 SD resolution, BT601 is generally applied.
If it is not to be enlarged, it must be output in BT601, and if it is to be enlarged to HD resolution, it must be set to BT709.

Also, according to FFMPEG specifications, if BT709 is to be used, “scale=out_color_matrix=bt709” must be set at the end of the filter.

Test 1 Noise reduction only SD(BT601) → SD(BT601)

ffmpeg -hide_banner -nostdin -y -nostats -i Z:/MVI_2232.AVI -sws_flags spline+accurate_rnd+full_chroma_int -color_trc 2 -colorspace 5 -color_primaries 2 -filter_complex tvai_up=model=prob-3:preblur=0:noise=0:details=0:halo=0:blur=0:compression=0:estimate=20:device=0:vram=1:instances=1,scale=out_color_matrix=bt709 -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -vendor apl0 -bits_per_mb 8000 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -map_metadata 0 -movflags frag_keyframe+empty_moov+delay_moov+use_metadata_tags+write_colr  -map_metadata:s:v 0:s:v -map_metadata:s:a 0:s:a -c:a aac -b:a 192k -ac 2 -metadata videoai=Enhanced using prob-3 auto with recover details at 0, dehalo at 0, reduce noise at 0, sharpen at 0, revert compression at 0, and anti-alias/deblur at 0 Z:/MVI_2232_prob3_temp.mov

The out_color_matrix=bt709, which should not be set, is set.

Test 2 Noise reduction & enlargement SD(BT601) → HD(BT709)

ffmpeg -hide_banner -nostdin -y -nostats -i Z:/MVI_2232.AVI -sws_flags spline+accurate_rnd+full_chroma_int -color_trc 2 -colorspace 5 -color_primaries 2 -filter_complex tvai_up=model=prob-3:preblur=0:noise=0:details=0:halo=0:blur=0:compression=0:estimate=20:device=0:vram=1:instances=1,scale=out_color_matrix=bt709 -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 1 -vendor apl0 -bits_per_mb 8000 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -map_metadata 0 -movflags frag_keyframe+empty_moov+delay_moov+use_metadata_tags+write_colr  -map_metadata:s:v 0:s:v -map_metadata:s:a 0:s:a -c:a copy -metadata videoai=Enhanced using prob-3 auto with recover details at 0, dehalo at 0, reduce noise at 0, sharpen at 0, revert compression at 0, and anti-alias/deblur at 0 Z:/MVI_2232_prob3_temp.mov

out_color_matrix=bt709 is added.

Test 3 Noise Removal & Enlargement SD(BT601) → HD(BT709) Encoder is changed

ffmpeg -hide_banner -nostdin -y -nostats -i Z:/MVI_2232.AVI -sws_flags spline+accurate_rnd+full_chroma_int -color_trc 2 -colorspace 5 -color_primaries 2 -filter_complex tvai_up=model=prob-3:scale=0:w=3840:h=2160:preblur=0:noise=0:details=0:halo=0:blur=0:compression=0:estimate=20:device=0:vram=1:instances=1,scale=w=3840:h=2160:flags=lanczos:threads=0:force_original_aspect_ratio=decrease,pad=3840:2160:-1:-1:color=black -c:v hevc_amf -profile:v main -profile_tier high -pix_fmt yuv420p -b:v 0 -map_metadata 0 -movflags frag_keyframe+empty_moov+delay_moov+use_metadata_tags+write_colr  -map_metadata:s:v 0:s:v -map_metadata:s:a 0:s:a -c:a aac -b:a 192k -ac 2 -metadata videoai=Enhanced using prob-3 auto with recover details at 0, dehalo at 0, reduce noise at 0, sharpen at 0, revert compression at 0, and anti-alias/deblur at 0. Changed resolution to 3840x2160 Z:/MVI_2232_prob3_temp.mov

out_color_matrix=bt709 has disappeared.

Simply put, the GUI side of TVAI is not properly configured for input and output color space.

I have requested this many times before, but TVAI is too careless when it comes to color.
It should be possible to know the input color space and output color space on the GUI.

1 Like

@kit434 @TicoRodriguez Why don’t you guys take a look at the chat history, your problem is just that you are using a wrongly decoded player (or configuration).

I think the first story was about the color change that occurs when using the trial version.
There was some erroneous information that it was affected by the watermark, but I have confirmed in testing that the color does not change when the watermark is added.

As per the FFMPEG options I pasted earlier, TVAI is not able to properly set color_trc, colorspace, and color_primaries, so this is a problem before the decoder.

For HD video, scale=out_color_matrix=bt709 is required for RGB->YUV conversion and should be set as -color_trc 1(bt709) -color_primaries 1(bt709) -colorspace 1(bt709).

An example of a strange video that was created.
Normally, it would be a total, BT709.

2 Likes

I have observed a slight color shift in the results of Video AI, it may be something wrong, but this is not the cause of his problem.

There is an extent of crf support in hardware encoders as well
though they usually go by the name of cqp

1 Like

Correct, but hardware CQP is not comparable in export efficiency to the software CRF of encoders such as x264 and x265.

1 Like

Noticing with live action video, flesh tones which appear to lean towards having a slight pink tint in the original shift slightly toward leaning towards having a green tint. Might be related.

It is a small shift, but clearly visible on a calibrated monitor.

1 Like

Although overall performance seems good, there is an interesting problem where split screen preview plays back at different speeds on each side of the split (NVIDIA).

1 Like

With my preferred media player (madVR-based), I have to go full screen to have my monitor change refresh rate to match the video.

In Windowed mode, the player has to cludge the video frames to force them to match the 60Hz desktop, which causes visible problems with sources that are not 30 or 60fps (eg: 24fps movies, especially noticeable on scrolling credits and panning scenes).

Your viewing system may have a similar problem.

1 Like

1 second of 4K video stabilization speed difference on M1 Max 64 GB 32 GPU
3.0.12: 54 seconds
3.1.5: 83 seconds

That is 53% slower!

1 Like

I second the request for the CRF/CQP Encoding capabilities. I have to export in Prores and use another app to encode to mp4. A one step process again would be helpful.

1 Like