Topaz Video AI v3.1.5

it is a different clip but it is affected in the same way.
the other clip I prefer not to share for personal reasons.

Have you tried other non-intel encoders?

I am new to the program. Is there a detailed description of the functions of different AI models somewhere? I try the error method, and I have to constantly rewrite the video. Efficiency is extremely low. For two months of work, I have only a couple of clips ready. In other cases, errors constantly appear in different places, due to the incorrect use of models.

[image]

2 Likes

yes, I have the issue here in MPC-BE, need to do some test, but i think it’s maybe related to the Mjpeg format you have → intel Encoder in H265 Main10, i’ll test other combinaison, hold on , and will re encode your original video too.

MVI_2232.AVI_snapshot_00.00_2023.02.19_13.34.07

You could try decreasing the sensitivity value (for the duplicate frame detection) to see if that helps (in case it’s skipping frames that aren’t really duplicate ones).

eg. the default value seems to be 10, and that might think some frames which are very similar but not identical are the same. It probably depends how much compression (or maybe picture noise) is in the frame. If there’s compression artefacts that differ between frames but the frames are really the same then setting sensitivity too low won’t be able to detect that they’re the same.

1 Like

Hold the mouse on the selected model, and the pop-up will tell you the general purpose of the model. If you’re concerned about interpolation models, you can take a look at this: Discussion about Frame Interpolation

1 Like

same with nvidia H264 High, did you tried by re encoding your video in an another format as source ? and using an another encoder as well ?

Do you think that two sentences can describe the complex work of an AI model? I read these abstracts, watched videos on Youtube. Characteristic models for slowdown, stabilization, or for computer graphics - everything is clear with this. And with the rest - complete chaos! Apollo? Chronos? Proteus? In which cases? When? Why? Nothing is clear at all. Developers should take the trouble to describe in detail the operation of each model in order to achieve maximum results.

[image]

2 Likes

same issue with using an ffmpeg Gui re encoder, 'im trying with Vegas pro 19.

If you want to emphasize the complexity of the Ai model, then I can tell you clearly that no one can explain to you what a model looks like, not even the creator, it is itself a black box. I mentioned the problems of the two models in my post, you can choose according to your own situation. In general, as the software introduces, use Chronos for small changes, and use Chronos Fast for larger changes. Apollo is not recommended.

1 Like

Found your issue !! it’s the Mjpeg format, maybe an issue with the windows decoder of the mjpeg one, i bought some years ago a licence of a Mjpeg specific decoder because of this, i had a Movie (done by a director friend) to upscale from an Avi Mjpeg Capture Card (from 1999…). Had to buy a special encoder for that, windows one was doing a mess. (it was even worst as entrelaced).

here is the picture directly exported by vegas pro 19 as Png. the issue is the same than the picture displayed in MPC (first is your original Avi source video)

(trying to play with vegaspro encoding/deconding to see if it’s related , hold on).

MVI_2232.AVI_VegasPro19

I don’t know how you do it, but on my side, using nv encoders, there is no such problem.

what did you do exactly ? and give system / codecs spec ? (with codec you use ? i use the Lav Filters from MPC, maybe it’s related to the Lav filters on MPC itself.

First / saved picture from the source file in Avi, picture saved by using MPC-BE
Second / saved picture from the source file in Avi, picture saved by using Vegas Pro19
video displayed inside VegasPro are fine like in Topaz.

MVI_2232.AVI_VegasPro19

Maybe it’s just a decoding problem, using nv h264&h265 encoders behaves basically the same in mpv.

The apollo, and the 2 chronos models were for interpolation (either for converting to higher (or lower too?) frame rates or slow motion). The Apollo was supposed to be better where the footage has things not moving at the same rate throughout I think and I think it takes into account more frames (so may be slower but it might detect the motion better). I think there was a demo of it on a Topaz page when they were introducing it.

It might be worth preview a clip with all 3 to see which converts it best and then using that.

yes that’s what i’m thinking too. but the picture output from VegasPro is showing the issue. So i’m trying to find where it is (lol), much easier to test than in Topaz :wink: but clearly it’s not a topaz / VideoAi related issue

thanks for the suggestion.
it looks like the color is affected simply by converting the video from avi to mp4.
that makes the matter even more complicated for me.
and i have to withdraw my suspicions and doubts about correct operation of Video AI
the problem seems to lie elsewhere

1 Like

You only need to transcode the input video to a common format first, and if there is no difference, then throw it into the Video AI test.

1 Like

yes, if i have the same issue with Vegaspro19, clearly the issue is not related to Topaz / VideoAi.

i thought that it could be an issue with Color Profile 0-255 / 16-235 , i tried that but it’s not. on vegaspro, it’s not related to MPC-Be, but i don’t know which is doing the import treatment, is it Lav Filters with Vegas ? I’ll Need to install my old Mjpeg dedicated decoder, but really i’m too tired to try all this now (didn’t slept since 24 hours and can’t sleep before 10 hours lol), but at least, you know it’s not a topaz related issue ! so if you can continue to investigate on your side, that would be kind :wink: (or hoping someone else here want to help (but outside of the topaz Ai “thing” as it’s not related).

It’s actually very similar to the first problem I had, but then I chose to work around it. Video Enhance 2.6.4 H264 encoder problem