Topaz Video AI v3.1.1

H265 encoding appears to have problems, since upgrading to 3.1.1 anything encoded using H265 Main (NVidia) cannot be opened in Vegas Pro & I cannot edit tags in the file using TagScanner. Both these programs were able to use files created using the H265 encoder previously.
If I encode using H265 Main 10 (NVidia) everything is fine but obviously it is 10bit.
Looking at the files created by Topaz Video AI in MediaInfo the profile has changed from Main@L4@Main to Main@L3.1@Main but I am not sure if that is the problem as the Main 10 profile has also changed from L4 to L3.1 & still works fine.

No stabilisation - just really basic Proteus on automatic (although I tried tweaking a few settings in manual to see if I could fix/diminish the problem). Not sure of my driver date (Iā€™m on a Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7)

Hi! Have had some restarts within 1 hour when running Topaz as the only app. Is it linked to that the screen is turned of? Power saving mode was 5h.

@gregory.maddra
@yazi.saradest

see linked posts above

I hardly know anything about ffmpeg. Would it be very complicated to have output with UT Video?

I assume UT video is a video codec.

Taking a quick look, it seems TVAI ffmpeg has support for the UT video codec built into it. But you canā€™t select it from the GUI. If youā€™re willing to experiment with the ffmpeg command line, then you can create your own custom export commands which export with the UT video codec.

If you want, I can help you figure out how to modify the ffmpeg commands for your needs.

1 Like

Bug report: Batch process fails with out of memory error on some inputs.
Version: 3.1.1
System: MacPro 96Gb, 4 GPU cards, OSX lastest.
Description:
Import drop 17 prores 360Āŗ 5760x2880 files various sizes. Select all with Proteus manual settings (noise 23%, anti alias -50%), then export to prores HQ.
Various outputs fail with out of memory.
Patiently inported and exported each file individually. No issues.
Is this an issue?
Activity monitor mem usage for batch maxed out at about 50Gb of system RAM during batch export.

Ok downloaded 3.1.1 click install nothing happens, what gives? if I close out video AI, it says there is an update, then it has me DL it all over againā€¦I have limited bandwidth and data, you are wasting it, and owe me $$$. I am a paid subscriber,

About 30% of of my exports get to 99% and then just hang. It doesnā€™t write the file. I can see the _temp file but it doesnā€™t finish it. Iā€™ve made sure the power options performance are at maximum, no sleeping allowed anywhere. Drivers checked, etc, etc. Working from NVMe.2 drives, Threadripper Pro, RTX A6000., 256GB RAM writing ProRes HQ files (I hate prores, could we have DNxHR?) I have 7 x 1TB NVMe.2 drives, no stripes or RAID, just individual drives, theyā€™re not used too much and only a year old - Iā€™ve tried exporting to different drives.
Any ideas?

If you are having issues with the built in downloader and installer, then it is recommended that when a new update for TVAI comes out that you come to the community site product releases page (Releases - Topaz Discussion Forum) and download the latest version from there.

However, understanding whatā€™s causing the issue and getting it fixed would be useful. However I donā€™t know what information the developers need. So I will leave the request for information to the developers.

There is a way to add that codec to the GUI. Iā€™ve never done it and others on here know a lot better how to, but it involves adding it to the encoders.json file found in your hidden Program Data folder on your main drive.

1 Like

Try adding it to encoder.json.

{
    "text": "utvideo",
    "encoder": "-c:v utvideo -pix_fmt yuv444p",
    "ext": [
      "avi"
    ],
    "transcode": "aac -b:a 192k -ac 2",
    "os": "windows",
    "minSize": [1,1],
    "maxSize": [16255,16255],
    "maxBitDepth": 10,
    "doNotScaleFullColorRange": "transcode"
  },

However, FFMPEGā€™s utvideo only supports 8-bit, so itā€™s not great.

"C:\Program Files\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI\ffmpeg.exe" -h encoder=utvideo
Encoder utvideo [Ut Video]:
    General capabilities: dr1 threads 
    Threading capabilities: frame
    Supported pixel formats: gbrp gbrap yuv422p yuv420p yuv444p
utvideo AVOptions:
  -pred              <int>        E..V....... Prediction method (from 0 to 3) (default left)
     none            0            E..V.......
     left            1            E..V.......
     gradient        2            E..V.......
     median          3            E..V.......
3 Likes

Great!, thank you.
Would there be any possibility to change the default predictive method to none 0
Ut Video AVOptions:
-pred Eā€¦Vā€¦
Prediction method (from 0 to 3) (default 0)
none 0 Eā€¦Vā€¦
left 1 Eā€¦Vā€¦
gradient 2 Eā€¦Vā€¦
median 3 Eā€¦Vā€¦
I have been trying from encoder.json but since I have no idea about ffmpeg, I have not achieved anythingā€¦it would be possible that H264 had as in versions 2. the possibility of choosing:
Constant Rate Factor to be able to choose 0 and that it exports in High 4:4:4 Predictive.
Again, thanks for the help.

Thank you for any help :slight_smile: I have done a bit more experimenting and it seems that while the video is previewing the picture is fine (first picture), but as soon as the picture stops previewing (and is encoded?), the lines appear immediately (second picture). I turned up the ā€œrevert compressionā€ and ā€œreduce noiseā€ to 100 so before and after would be obvious and took screen grabs while it was ā€œpreviewingā€ (first clean picture), and after it previewed and begun playing relate speed (vertical lines appear in second picture). It doesnā€™t matter what encoder I use (ProRes HQ, LT, H264) the lines appear immediately after the previewing stops.

1 Like
    "encoder": "-c:v utvideo -pred none -pix_fmt yuv444p",

Rewrite the encoder section I just wrote.
However, again, we do not recommend this because FFMPEGā€™s UtVideo only supports up to 8 bits, and TVAIā€™s 16-bit processing will be wasted.

2 Likes

Thanks again. Which do you recommend then?
And what about h264 would it be possible?

In my case, I use ProresHQ.
Lossy, but not much visual loss is felt.
I compress the source output with Prores to x265 using another encoder while converting it to HDR.

3 Likes

I understand. But it is that after TVAI, the final video after editing itā€¦ will always be 1080p encoded with H264ā€¦ with which Ut Video as output from TVAI may be fine for me.

1 Like

Why does out of memory happen?
See below a batch process of 10 videos.

What does memory mean here? Host memory (at 96Gb) or GPU card memory (32GB, 32Gb, 32Gb, 16Gb (4 GPU cards))?
How can it be prevented so a batch of N files can be completed 100%?
Files are 10 H264 output to ProResHQ. Applying Proteus manual (Revert compression 21%, denoise 100%)

Sir can you estimate how many percent ā€œicing on the cakeā€ you got out of simulate HDR?