Topaz Video AI v3.1.0

I’d rather preview the lady’s lips than the guy’s beard, but that’s just me. :grin: Just a little humor, but yes, I’ve experienced the same problem in all the v3 releases so far.

9 Likes

Not quite true. If you own e.g. 3.0.x you are entitled to any updates up to 3.0.xxxx even if your licence has expired, but an update to 3.1.0 requires a current licence. The same will apply to 3.2.0, 3.3.0 and 4.0.0 etc.

5 Likes

If it has not changed since 3.1.0.4b, environment variables are as follows.
I’m in the processing of a movie that’s about 2 hours long and haven’t been able to upgrade to 3.1.0.0 yet, so I haven’t been able to test it myself.

TVAI_MODEL_DATA_DIR
C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI

TVAI_MODEL_DIR
C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI\models
1 Like

Possibly he still had TVAI_MODEL_DIR set to:

C:\ProgramData\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI BETA\models

2 Likes

Or like me—still had it defined as VEAI_MODEL_DIR. I probably would have caught it sooner if they had updated the documentation at the same time.

1 Like

Theia models are still broken by ignoring input values for Sharpen and Revert Compression. Reduce Noise still only changes the Sharpness of the output.
No. I cannot use 2.6.4 for Theia. It adds vertical and horizontal lines throughout. The last early access had those same lines, but only for a few frames after a scene change.

Same here

Exactly!

Yes, but it should have stated that before the upgrade instead of locking us out of the program.

5 Likes

Is anyone else getting a green hue/tint applied to all of your footage when doing previews and exports? Its very subtle but very noticeable overall. Makes skin look sick and whites get a slight green tint to them?

1. Green tint on all models on all the footage im testing. Preview and export.
  2. Just tested deblur model on a clip that I trimmed inside of VEAI and the exported video was frozen for a second but audio would play then it would start playing. This was in VLC it seems that the exported footage was oddly glitched.

Edit: just tested a random mp4 file recorded from my cell phone, this green tint does not happen. Im wondering if its applied to certain mp4 videos that have a particular color space to them?

anyway, previews and exports need to maintain the color profiles and outputs as source.

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I missed the part about 3.x.x incremental updates vs. 3.x (and 4.x, etc) version updates. Thanks again.

No green tint here on any of my videos, so far.

hmm interesting. Im seeing it on my sony footage (sony a7c) and various downloaded mp4s from the web. I did more testing, it doesnt happen on all videos that I process, but 80% of them have had this issue. Not sure whats causing it yet.

How would you get ‘locked out’? Can you not reinstall and use the previous version?

can you test the deblur model specifically. i Just re-ran a test using proteus and the colors were more or less the same. Id call it margin of error on my end for the color difference, being that the denoise can mush colors together somewhat.

But running deblur on that same section of my clip causing the colors to get a green tint.
notice the differences here. Its more apparent at full screen and wiping back and forth compared to looking at these stills. But its def there and it looks bad.

1 Like

I have tried to deblur and upscale (Proteus) an SD-Video but the Deblur-Result is really unusable…
It looks like an Aquarelle… :frowning:

1 Like

If I was entitled to version 3, but not 3.1, why was I prompted to update without a warning that I wasn’t entitled to that update? Why was I offered the update at all? Why wouldn’t users entitled to version 3 receive all update to version 3? Especially given the poor state that version 3 released in, and is still in!

That seems pretty shady. Another video software company got into trouble recently for pulling a similar stunt, faced a lot of backlash, got a ton of bad PR, and lost a ton of goodwill/loyalty from their customers in the process.
All it takes is a Youtube channel with a decent audience to bring light to this sort of thing and it really hurts the reputation of the company. It’s a really negative PR move.

Furthermore, why would anyone pay to be able to receive updates to 3.x when the newer versions perform much, much worse, are less stable, and have worse workflow than the previous version?
I’d get it if it was a 3.5 release, after everything was performing at least as well as the previous 2.6 version, but it’s not even close. 3.x still feels like a rough beta.

Topaz are playing with fire here. They will lose customers and goodwill, and if tech Youtubers catch on to this and ‘expose’ it, it could do significant reputational and financial damage to them.

8 Likes

No offence, but it’s not Topaz’ job to make sure you read your licence agreement properly. They offer you an update, and then it’s up to you to decide whether said update still falls within your licensing plans.

EDIT: And you can always revert to the last version you were licensed for; no harm, no foul.

3 Likes

I have bought many a program that charges for full version upgrades, or even .5 upgrades, but never had a company try to charge for .1, .2. .3 or .4 updates, especially when the program is in such poor shape performatively and requires those updates to actually be anywhere near as functional as the previous 2.6 version.

It’s a great way to lose customers.

8 Likes

All the AI models are trained and made to process in the rgb24 colorspace. Truly maintaining color profiles might mean retraining and making new models for each color profile.
I feel like it should be possible to convert to and from most common colorspaces without loss or change, but that has not been fully realized yet.

2 Likes