Topaz Video AI v3.1.0

But we have no guarantee how long the version will run as it has to always communicate with their servers. These versions won’t run forever. Someones got to pay the server bills.

Proteus is still not working for me. The only model that doesnt work. A complete clean install did not help.

Just bought the product and have some trouble with it.
90% of my videos stuck/hangs while generating a preview. the progress stop always at the same % for each video (Video 1 always at 52%, Video 2 always at 74%…)

Some other Videos just work fine. I tried to convert my old videos first to mp4 but no luck the same issue appears.

It worked fine before 3.x

any idea how to fix it ?

That’s Topaz’s problem, they’ve always sold it, all versions, on the basis that the version you bought or upgraded to will continue to work permanently. So they will have to keep the relevant models available on servers too - permanently (or offer a one-off “download all models” option that works and can be permanently backed up locally).

1 Like

Seems to be an issue with expired licenses and the minor version upgrade, i.e. from 3.0.x to 3.1.x. I successfully updated by my Windows and Mac copies.

1 Like

Same here…after sticking with the program through all of the beta testing thought we would not be cut off as the program was finally usable :frowning:

…and to add injury to insult it allowed me to install it! Now I need to revert!!

1 Like

i have just tried out version 3.10 after chilling on 2.x and i honestly cannot understand your complaint. i see absolutely no change in difficulty of using this program, nor i see the necessity of learning how ffmpeg works. as usual, i just provide a file, choose a model, export to jpg/png and wait.

but i see people agreeing with you, so can someone enlighten me?

4 Likes

Yes. Too many people were burned by the “convenience” of cloud services. It’s all fun and games until the other side, which has all the cards, decides to change something for their own interests. Expired licenses, price increases, model downloads, and so on—or simply your electric or internet provider deciding to slow down, raise prices, or have rolling blackouts in order to chase windmills instead. No fun. What should always be an option is to buy, download, and own it.

So if 2x is best quality would you suggest to render in two passes in order for me to get from (in my case) 480p to 1080p, which I usually use the scale and set to 225%.

It’s normal since TVAI only work at X1/X2/X4, if you set a 720p to 1080p it’s first upscaled X2 (1440p) then downscaled to 1080p. It should even be a little slower due to that extra downscaling step.

1 Like

225% uses the 2x upscaling model, so no need for multiple passes. I do experiment with different passes, sometimes it’s better, sometimes not, it all depends on the source video and which AI model I select.

2 Likes

This is an advantage over the 2.x version that only upscaled 1 x in this example to get close and then upscaled the missing x with traditional methods.

Thanks Johnny

I’m glad it works for you, but keep in mind, one man’s successfully upscaled video is another man’s disaster. Software should work across the board for everyone, not for a select few. Sorry, but I don’t agree with you.

i still don’t get it. i see no change in the workflow of this application big enough to change the skill required to use the application from “easy to use” to “requiring some sort of degree”. can you go into further detail on what exactly you’re trying to do that became so much harder to do in 3.x?
just for the record, i wouldn’t call myself an advanced user of this app either. i don’t even see what’s the big deal about the version 3.x, other than the refreshed UI. i see no further improvements in functionality, besides added H265 support (which would be a lot better if it presumably didn’t force you into GPU encoding, i’d rather do CPU encoding)

Just wanted to thank the developers for their hard work improving VEAI I was getting 11 FPS when upscaling a 480p to 1080p in version 3.0.6 and with 3.1.0 I’m getting a solid 26 FPS so the speed is really improved all around. Thank you again.

4 Likes

But the mess is still there.
ADD NOISE 0 and 10 give exactly the same result.

cut / trim the video is much harder with time stamps instaed of frame numbers.

2 Likes

oh yeah, i missed that. seems like a minor inconvenience though, nothing a tiny non-mathematician-degree math cannot solve. should absolutely be fixed anyway

not only this. the current version does often not take the precise time I type in but adjusting it slightly to something else!