Topaz Video AI v3.0.7

Dev has said in here that it will be fixed in 3.0.8, and mentioned the bug thing when I sent in my logs to help resolve it.

I do this as well but only due to Audio being degraded as I do multiple renders in TVAI.
But I have never had delayed or audio trouble since using Transcode for Audio settings.

1 Like

Do a search for film restoration software. You’ll find a ton of programs that do what you need. Some are even free. This software is not designed for film restoration. No offense.

Film Restoration and Upscaling Video Footage are totally different applications.

You are completely right. It is vital so why is it still broken? I can’t use broken software no one can.

Thanks

2 Likes

I have been tinkering with 3.0.7 on a a few Mac M1s and I am impressed with the progress.

It was odd that when I started the software, it briefly opened a web browser to 127.0.0.1 and then closed it. Kind of caught me off guard. Actually – I am very uncomfortable with this software pulling up a web browser and doing something. Why is this happening?

I am definitely seeing a slight speed increase now on running parallel processes (at least with the same or similar options I was using on 2.6.4). I think I am – it is late here.

The interface looks good, feels more natural and I am excited again. Great job!

Eeek – oh - as I write this – perhaps a bug?

I am running two instances and it seems the split screen has a mind of its own with the first instance.

1 Like

Cant run proteus for any video. It shows model failed and AI error only.

Curious you captured via SDI right?

I’m starting to realise it’s not quite the software I’m after for cine restoration. It’s got a lot of features that I need, the AI resolution improvement is amazing, as is the stabilisation and ability to add extra fps, so it pretty much does most of what I need. These extra tools would make the software brilliant, but you’re right about
video up scaling and film restoration being done differently.

It’s perhaps an idea to extend topaz’s range of software as the core technologies seem to be there. In the meantime, if you know of any cine restoration software for a Mac, that stabilises, dynamically adjusts exposure, removes most dust and scratches. Allows creation of damaged frames based on frames either side, upscales and then increased the fps (using an optical flow technology and not just frame blending). I’d be very interested, because I’ve been looking for ages. :slightly_smiling_face:

My understanding is that “Add Noise” injects pre-process noise which thereby reduces the amount or severity of the chosen Enhancement Method by reducing unwanted artifacts or over-sharpening of certain features present in the video, leading to a more acceptable and pleasant result. This “Add Noise” is not the same as “Grain,” which adds film grain to the output, but rather it utilizes noise prior to processing, which helps prevent the AI from over-processing and causing extreme artifacts or excessive sharpening of some video elements that should be either left as-is or more gently processed. However, if you increase this “Add Noise” radically, you may end up seeing degradation of the output. I use it every time I think the AI process is going overboard by creating artifacts like striations that were not in the original video. Typically, I use between 2 and 5.

1 Like

Anyone know when 3.0.8 will be released?

And will it fix.

1. unable to activate license after uninstall/reinstall - it asks for browser but never evidently contacts/activates via license server.

2. RTX 3080ti Proteus model fails on 3.0.7.

Reduced to using 2.6.4 but audio fails to come across on it a lot.

Mike

Below does nothing and will not activate license after uninstall/reinstall in order to try to fix “model failed” in 3.0.7 using RTX 3080ti - card.

activate

If you have Aftereffects on Mac, an excellent and powerful plugin for dust and noise removal is Neat Video. I would run it through Neat first, then run the result through TVAI.

1 Like

SDI https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/api/print/to-pdf/products/ultrastudio/techspecs/W-DLUS-12?filename=ultrastudio-recorder-3g-techspecs.pdf

Saludos.

The reason I believe that TVAI opens the webbrowser like that is to check if you have logged into Topaz via the web with the same email and password. It can use this as a validation for the software. One of my machines I had not been on the website before and when I installed 3.0.7 I had to login. It opened the web browser, I gave it my credentials, validated them and then closed. This was introduced in 3.0.7. My other machines never asked me to login when I installed 3.0.7 on them. They might have done the same thing as yours did and I just did notice it since my browsers were already open. If you save the password in your browser then the cookie associated with the website has a password validation selection. All just a wild guess on my part.

Screenshot 2022-12-17 095827

1 Like

Yes, fixed. They had a server outage. Should be good again.

That was never broken. :slight_smile: Has always worked on my RTX 3080 Ti. People have reportedly had good result empyting the models folder, and letting TVAI download them anew, as it would seem they can get corrupted.

EDIT: I’ve also seen said error in connection with un invalid/unverified license (for whatever reason). So, I’d say, try and get your login issue resolved first,

1 Like

meimeiriver

Hi,

Meimeriver,

When I emptied the model folders at:

c:\programdata\Topaz Labs LLC\Topaz Video AI\Models\ it then makes me try to re-license 3.0.7 - but it will not do.

I think due to licensing process changes in 3.0.7.

I think “Emptying the model folder” is not probably deleting everything in that path\directory like I did on reading the “solution” here is not a good fix, at least for me.

Is this the right folder and do you delete everything in it?

Also does it matter if Topaz AI 3.0.7 is closed or open when you do it?

But, why are the models now suddenly getting corrupted?

An uninstall/reinstall of 3.0.7 should fix this except for the License server issue that keeps you in trial mode & won’t verify license.

I tried this.

1. Uninstall 3.0.7
  2. Install 3.0.6 from previous download archived version - (you probably can download it if you didn’t save it from - Topaz Video AI v3.0.6 )
  3. Go thru licensing - no issue with 3.0.6 licensing version vs 3.0.7
  4. Set directories/parameters in 3.0.6
  5. Close 3.0.6 and install 3.07 from downloaded full version that I archived.

Models now not failing (first time ran) and licensing in place for the first usage.

The second usage of Topaz 3.0.7 with a new file I still get “Model failed” again now. :frowning_face:

I don’t understand what is happening to corrupt the models since all I’m doing is running 3.0.7 again like I did before on previous versions of Topaz AI.

This “model failing” needs to be looked and is happening automatically & too easily.

But again, this software needs to be more robust/tested for 1) Models failing 2) Licensing for 3.07.

:arrow_down: :arrow_down: :arrow_down:

Uninstalled 3.0.7 again…

Installed 3.0.6 from archive (you can do via Topaz Video AI v3.0.6 if you don’t have archived)

Running 3.0.6 now - No model failure - No problems licensing…

:arrow_up: :arrow_up: :arrow_up:

Waiting on 3.0.8, to test.

Mike

Here’s the enhancement’s I’m using below - when this occurs. On files 720p/sub 720p to same size resolution prior to upscaling.

1 Like

Try Diamont, PfClean or Filmworkz.

There’s also DaVinci.

A lot of software out there. I’m seeing low budget titles being advertised although I have not used them.

We prefer PFClean.

I don’t know what industry you are in or film scanner you use - so check them all out.

Yes, I agree. I use between 2 and 4 :grin:

Yep, that’s the correct folder alright.

For some reason, I get the impressen you’re still not logged in properly. I think you’re running into that makeshift solution they had in place, where they said you could temporarily log in, but doesn’t consider your credentials as fully validated. I know, that sounds vague, but they didn’t specify what their ‘workaround’ exactly entailed.

They aren’t, at this point in my estimation (unless you have a broken disk or something). Must be the licensing issue. My models have never gone bad. And you really shouldn’t have to go through this. You did everything right, near as I can tell. At this point, I would just contact support directly, and get the license issue squared for you, because it’s highly unlikely your models are truly getting corrupted each time.

You can also enable extended logging, btw. This too may give you some clue as to what is happening.

One of the characteristics of MPEG is that it is lossy by design. A lot of the compression algorithms get more compression by rounding what are essentially irrational numbers., like Pi, for example, Unfortunately, this means that playback will never be 100% of the original. Attempting to resolve the problems by attempting to do too much decompression only results in excess noise and distortion. - In other words, the playback “artifacts” are there by design and will never be entirely reversable.

Then there is the older problem of transcribing media that was originally on film to MPEG for DVDs, etc. Often that means the grain of the film is often 'baked" into the original mpeg image as ‘detail.’ Also, older videotap originals frequently suffer from noise due to a combination of the light sensitivity and analog interlace from the older cameras they used. - Deinterlacing, denoising and resharpening is a genuine challenge and TVAI does it better than anything else I’ve used yet. - It does so by recognizing what was in the original image and essentially replacing it with information it has ‘learned.’

If you push it too hard, it will be forced to adlib or 'fake it." So, one of the little tricks in getting old, noisy stuff deinterlaced, denoised, and sharpened is best when done so by degrees. and using intermediate levels of enhancement during magnification.

Images tend to get sharpened better as the size is increased. Sometimes attempting to go from old SD directly to FHD in “one swell foop” will give poorer results than resizing and enhancing in two or more steps. - In either case, being able to effectively deinterlace and denoise at original size is the key to better enhancement while upscaling.

In passing, there is one thing TVAI needs is a deinterlacing function with denoising capability

3 Likes

“But, why are the models now suddenly getting corrupted?” - MichaelX

"They aren’t, at this point in my estimation (unless you have a broken disk or something). Must be the licensing issue. My models have never gone bad. And you really shouldn’t have to go through this. You did everything right, near as I can tell. At this point, I would just contact support directly, and get the license issue squared for you, because it’s highly unlikely your models are truly getting corrupted each time. - meimeiriver

I don’t know if they are actually getting corrupted, all I know is that a second run of 3.0.7 gets “model failed” and that other people here have said that it’s corrupted models.

Installation of 3.0.6 is running fine with no “models failed”/ no inability to license.

No disk issues - Using SSD 980 Pro Samsung (chip style) - SFC /scannow fine, Chkdsk /f ok.

I could also test/boot to SSD Samsung 870 or 860 clones of system drive (SSD 980 Pro) which I could do later & test 3.0.7 for these issues, but I think the same things will happen.

Like I said, failed models/licensing issues not happening on V3.0.6.

Mike

2 Likes