Topaz Video AI v3.0.7

(For the Windows 10 version) There is a bug with the edges of the application window: even when maximized to fullscreen, I get the double-arrowed resizing cursor when I hover over the sides of the window. This becomes very bothersome when trying to use the scrollbar with the mouse cursor because it keeps going into resize mode.

Hmmm.

Food for thought; pre-emptive noise.

I’ll give it a shot…

Somehow, I suspect that this may have something to do with corruption from the current or previous on-going Beta versions. I was assured by someone, can’t remember who, that they wouldn’t conflict with each other, but I suspect that was not entirely true.

Anyhow, since I cleaned out the Models cache, the problem has gone away and I’ve actually gotten some stable exports again. And it appears that this version is slower, but at the same time a lot of the recognition tools work better.

And, to me the main objective is better output, even if it takes longer.

1 Like

pdwhite,

“Somehow, I suspect that this may have something to do with corruption from the current or previous on-going Beta versions.” - pdwhite

When I did a complete uninstall via Windows add/remove of 3.0.7 with delete setting/configurations, the models directory seems to be entirely deleted.

I then installed 3.0.6 without running it (just updated settings) and immediately upgraded to 3.0.7. A first run of 3.0.7 didn’t have “failing models” and pulled them in but if I run it again it using the exact same parameters/settings subsequent runs I get the “failing models” on a second run.

How are older models/beta versions getting pulled in using the above steps?

I would think that only those associated with 3.0.7 would be pulled in and especially since they work once then get “failed models” for me.

The only thing in the back of my mind is maybe it’s trying to pull in the same models, but the existing models pulled in previously are write-protected somehow and can not be overwritten or accessed for some reason?

I do normally run 2 incidences of Topaz AI on the same computer for different files at the same times but using same models - maybe the first incidence has them locked.

I don’t remember if I’ve ran one at a time, completely exited 3.0.7 when it was finished and then started another one - I think I did, but I’ve tried a lot of things in last 24 hours.

Also, I really don’t know why it would have to pull in the models again if I use the exact same setting and exact same parameters.

Shouldn’t it see if I already have the needed models in the directory and then download them only if necessary?

Just curious.

Mike

In pre-3.0.7 version, in the log, I see a line like

Checking for authentication at "C:\\ProgramData\\Topaz Labs LLC\\Topaz Video AI\\models/auth.tpz" 
Success: License expires on 2023-01-14

Now it’s just

2022-12-16 11-05-37 Thread: 6328 Info Login response Success: logged in

So, maybe that last line should show up in his log too?

As it turns out, the login problem had nothing to do with the model problem. However, I had recently installed the .0.7.0B beta, and when I update the released v3.07, it would not allow me to utilize some of the ehnancers at all. I only succeeded in this when I went into the models folder and deleted all of them. That forced TVAI released v3.07 to download the models it needed. Since then everything has been peachy. The login/watermark problem went away when they got the user server back online.

1 Like

Beats me. But it works. Although I haven’t tried running the beta version since installing the new v3.07 released version.

That’s what I suggested to him (a few posts up), but he said he tried that, and it didn’t work for him. :frowning:

i get this message 2

Brilliant, thanks. I think I tried that before as a (Final Cut plug-in), but I will double check. Sometimes noise reduction adds a blur to the image, which I was worried would hinder TVAI’s ability to enhance what little detail is there. But will see if it has a ‘remove dust and scratch’ setting… Thanks for your help.

Thanks, two titles I’ve not heard of before. I got De:Noise plug-in and that didn’t seem to work very well. Probably my problem with the settings. I’ll check them out. I do CGI animation, so familiar with Final Cut, Motion, AE etc…. The scanner I built myself using an old cine projector with a microscope camera and LED backlight. It has a mechanical lever that presses a mouse button that I mounted in the projector, with every frame. It works quite well.

1 Like

It all depends on how you build the noise profile in Neat Video. Take the time to do it right and you should not lose any details.

Ahh wow that is impressive. I have always admired the very few people that design their own film frame-by-frame scanner.

I use MovieStuff.tv equipment and the guy is quite a genius in what he has built - at a fraction of the cost compared to the highly priced industry units.

I know with his accompanying (no thrills) software you can have it provide you a file with any frame rate you prefer.

From there you are left on your own.

Using a film cleaner solution will do wonders about scratches.

I no longer get any sound either in playback or export of video’s since Topaz Video AI v3.0.7. It does not appear to be an issue at my end as I have changed nothing and other programs like Capcut and Adobe prem work fine
Windows 11 RTX3090
last log
2022-12-17-22-41-26-Main.tzlog (11.0 KB)

Did you clear the coach and retry?

Did that work?

I have to admit Neat Video does a decent job at removing spots and scratches if used correctly, if you are on a budget - it is a great tool.

After the one year purchase are you stuck with no more model updates?

Oh - so you can download all the models now? Then you are independent from Topaz and are able to buy the software without fear of issues on their side.

Lliam,

Unfortunately, I can’t make heads or tails of the stuff in that log without spending a lot of time deciphering all that. - I suggest you take up the issue with Topaz Support.

Frankly, I’ve had numerous problems with the sound and video controls and have simply gone back to my old practice of saving the original sound track for each video (clip) using a third party editor. (A lot of video and many audio editors have this capability) I then simply turn audio processing off in preferences and then merge the audio and video back together after everything is done.

I remember when VEAI had no audio capabilities; the new video/audio settings have gotten more like a game of Whack-a-mole, than being a useful utility.

They flip back to their default settings, mostly when you don’t want them to. I can’t tell you how many time I’ve been in the middle of an hours-long export only to discover it is using the wrong codec. - There should be a LOCK A/V button in the output control segment. @ida.topazlabs @eric @yazi.saradest

1 Like

Models are data. I don’t work for Topaz, of course; but I’m pretty sure you will always be allowed to download new model data (as longer as they’re compatible with your last version of TVAI).